No announcement yet.

Impossible to Repatriate my dogs to UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't Remember how much it was but I think it was 150 us but might be wrong and that was from jarkata to manado. Our dog was around 20 kilos . Also had to pay a cargo tax when we got him but that was like 3 dollars. We flew Eva airlines from the states and he was shipped as excess baggage and that wasn't to bad I think it was around 300 us. It was everything else that cost so much. Eva also was real good about info. Such as where to get transit ok for layover in twanian . Also sorry about the lack of the h lol

Comment

Hi Phiss,

I helped a friend 2 years ago to bring the dog she adopted here in Jakarta back to Hungary (EU, EU rules). The biggest difficulty was actually the export papers from Indonesia, not the import into the EU. We did the vaccinations & chipping at a Jakarta vet, some blood sample mailing, I went to the airport 3 times and to some Jakarta office to sort out the official export papers (massive waste of time, but possible), and off she went with the dog flying as excess baggage. It was all not very expensive ... No cargo, quarantine, handling agent fees or so.

Not sure if you already explored this possibility:

- Chose a more friendly EU country as destination (I know that Hungary works, but certainly other countries as well, do your research)
      - Get the EU pet passport sorted in that country
      - Move them freely to the UK with the EU pet passport under the intra-EU rules.

I suggest you do more research into that possibility...e.g. fly to Germany, Belgium, Netherlands or some Easter EU country, leave the pups there with somebody to sort it out and you fly home with Ryan Air and wait until it's done.

If you need help in EU for a place to stay for the dogs while sorting out the EU passport (and doing the vet visits etc), I can help in Germany & Luxembourg. If another country proves to be better for this project, I am sure somebody else could do the same there with the help of people here in the forum.

I hope I will never be in your situation...with 4 dogs and over 20 cats it will be disaster. Good Luck.
      Last edited by happybunny1978; 22-04-16, 13:17.

Comment

Thanks Happybunny. I have explored all these eventualities. But the more people who post, the more it helps others in the same situation who haven't. So please everyone; keeps posting. Even if I do not find my way out of this situation, I will be left with a lasting memory of all the kind people who tried to help.

Comment

Hi all - an update, of sorts. I am finding the kitabisa site to be a nightmare. Despite clicking repeatedly on the nice little British flag, everything is only in Indonesian! Between my own somewhat stumbling ability to read Indonesia and the wonders of GoogleTranslate, this is not the end of the world. But it is slowing down the process.

More significantly, I can't seem to find any instructions that would let me get an overview of "here is what information you will need to enter." The only way I can find out what the system wants is to complete the preliminaries, so I can't plan in advance. If I fill in a box and later decide, because of something else the site asks me for, that I should have answered the earlier question differently, I have no idea if it will let me make changes.

Most significantly, it occurs to me that it is probably going to want a local bank account for funds to be transferred into - and I don't have one! If anyone would be willing to take responsibility for accepting funds on phiss's behalf and transferring them to her account, please speak up right away! (And I don't know if I'm going to be allowed to sponsor the site if the name on the bank account is different...grr!)

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
            Hi all - an update, of sorts. I am finding the kitabisa site to be a nightmare. Despite clicking repeatedly on the nice little British flag, everything is only in Indonesian!
            Try this URL for the English version

https://[COLOR=red]en[/COLOR].kitabisa.com/

Comment

That's where I was, Joe.

Comment

Hi everyone. Hope you didn't think I had just dropped off the page after everyone has been so supportive. I have just had a lot of things to deal with at the moment.

First of all, I want to award Puspawarna official 'Angel' status. She has put herself out there so much just to try to get a fundraising campaign started. And all this for a virtual stranger. However, she has run into so many problems, and as we have both agreed that this campaign for two dogs looks a little doomed because the Indonesian site seems to focus more on Indonesian families in real crisis. As it should be of course. Perhaps this is the moment to call a halt to the fundraising idea. I really can't thank you enough Puspawarna, but all this is turning into a real nightmare for you. I will be eternally grateful for what you have tried to do.

Please don't think I am giving up. I am continuing to sell off my possessions (household and personal) in an effort to raise some additional money. I am also continuing the process of getting the dogs ready for travel just in case a miracle happens. The microchipping has been done. Although I have no idea if they work, because I couldn't get my hands on a reader. The cheapest one I could find online was IDR 3.5 million!!!! Money not available at the moment I am afraid. Especially as I would only need to use it once just to check the chips. Still, I don't see any reason why they would not work (ever the optimist). The next step is the blood titer test. This can be done by the local vet here but then has to be sent off to an authorized testing centre in UK. As long as the test results are okay, it is just a matter of waiting. If I can wait it out till the end of July, the dogs won't have to go into quarantine once back in the UK. If it is less time than that, they will have to.

As to getting there. I have worked out that I can get the dogs from Medan to Jakarta by Lionair. If I then fly from Jakarta to Amsterdam or Paris, the dogs can travel as excess baggage on KLM, which cuts the cost considerably. It is only the UK that insists that they must travel as cargo freight at the extortionist cost I mentioned before. As long as all the paperwork is in order, we can then travel to UK through the Channel tunnel without problems.

All this is in the planning stage, as I still have to get the money together. So please keep your fingers crossed for me everyone. And thanks for all your support. I will keep you posted as to progress.

And thank you again Puspawarna for your great effort.

Comment

Phiss, I'm sure some forum members will be willing to contribute and will PM you - let's see if it's enough! The problem is just that the cost is so ridiculous that even if a bunch of good-hearted people make a pledge, it might not work.

As I told Phiss in an e-mail, I'm going to put a poster up at the vet tomorrow (assuming the will let me, but I am sure they will) looking for a home for the dogs. I have photos and they are indeed very cute. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Comment

Hi everyone. There has been a surprising development. After Puspurwarna's hard work and running up against another brick wall, I must admit that I had almost given up hope. Then out of the blue, an old Australian friend, who I hadn't heard from since she went back to Australia, contacted me and said she had heard about my problems and had set up a fund raising page on my behalf. This is the page: https://www.gofundme.com/25y95fvq

You can just check it out to see how things are going. No need to donate. Your words of support have been just as valuable to me....

Comment

Just a quick update here. Via https://www.gofundme.com/25y95fvq, my friend managed to raise USD 410 dollars in the first two days. However, things have got stalled a bit after that. I am not surprised because there are so many more deserving causes that need people to contribute. Getting two loved and lovable dogs back to the UK definitely is not at the top of most people's list of 'worthwhile causes'. However, we are plugging on. I will definitely not give up until the very last moment. My dogs are not going to end up locked in a cage 24/7, or sold off as dog meat!!

I am having to hold fire a little at the moment because of a family crisis in the UK. My brother's son from a previous marriage died suddenly, and under suspicious circumstances, about three weeks ago. Because of police investigations, the burial had been held up pending autopsy reports, investigations, etc. However, at the end of last week the family was given the go ahead for the funeral, which will take place tomorrow, Wednesday 6th. My own problems fade into insignificance in comparison to this. Obviously, the family has not been able, emotionally or financially, to get involved in my problem. And I have not asked them to. I want them to have a quiet period to grieve without having another, albeit minor, problem hitting them.

However, my next plan of action is to try and get local newspapers to publish a story. I might also target a national paper, although they will probably not be interested. There are two questions to be asked and answered: Why, when the anti-rabies regulations are so strict, and dogs have to be proven to be rabies-free before they enter the UK, is it necessary to insist that dogs must travel as 'cargo freight', thus increasing the cost of transportation tenfold? The UK is the only European country to insist on this! All the others allow dogs to travel as excess baggage, at a much lower cost. And question number 2: Why, when the government insists on quarantine in authorized quarantine kennels if dogs have not passed three months outside the country after the blood titer test, are there so few authorized kennels in the whole of the UK? I have counted only two on the official list, neither of which are near what will be my home in the UK! I asked for a quote from one of them and the price was extortionist!!

Anyway, that is the update so far. I am still in the process of doing everything that needs to be done here in Indonesia. The dogs have to have their blood titer test on Monday and that has to be sent to the UK for testing (another draconian regulation from the Uk government). After that.....

Comment

My condolences on the loss of your nephew. How old was he?

On the possibility of getting a newspaper to carry a story - I think that's a great idea in terms of putting long term pressure on the UK to change the rules, but won't have any short term effect (except possibly to get people to contribute to the gofundme site, which would be great if a local paper would include the link - and maybe your friend could link on that site to any articles that are published). Another thing to keep in mind is that stories like that which are not time-sensitive (from the standpoint of the newspaper, not your life) tend to get put "in the can" for use when there is not enough to run, or a planned-on story drops out.

QUESTION - do you want forum members to donate via the gofundme site, or transfer funds to your local bank account? I assume the latter would be easier and more convenient for all involved, but do let us know.

Comment

My condolences on the loss of your nephew. How old was he?

On the possibility of getting a newspaper to carry a story - I think that's a great idea in terms of putting long term pressure on the UK to change the rules, but won't have any short term effect (except possibly to get people to contribute to the gofundme site, which would be great if a local paper would include the link - and maybe your friend could link on that site to any articles that are published). Another thing to keep in mind is that stories like that which are not time-sensitive (from the standpoint of the newspaper, not your life) tend to get put "in the can" for use when there is not enough to run, or a planned-on story drops out.

QUESTION - do you want forum members to donate via the gofundme site, or transfer funds to your local bank account? I assume the latter would be easier and more convenient for all involved, but do let us know.
                          Thanks for the condolences Puspawarna. My nephew was 28 years old; far too young to die. It was all so sudden and unexpected that we are all still in shock at the moment.

As to your question at the end of your post: I have had a couple of friends here saying they tried to donate via the gofundme site but their debit cards were not accepted. Unfortunately, this is sometimes a problem on the internet with Indonesian debit (and sometimes credit) cards. Gofundme does not operate here in Indonesia at the moment, and I think the problems with banking is possibly a contributing factor. That is the reason I could not open my own gofundme page here, but my friend could do so from Australia.

It would indeed be more convenient if people could donate directly into my Indonesian bank account. However, before putting my banking details here, I want to run it past the moderators. I do not want to contravene any of the forum rules!

If the moderators say it is okay, then I would ask that if you do donate anything, please write a note that it is for the 'Noodle and Blackie Fund'. I will collate all contributions and send details to my friend in Australia. There is a provision in the gofundme setup that says 'offline contributions' can be credited to the overall fund, and we would like to do this and to acknowledge donors.

Finally, I want to make it clear to everyone on this forum, that I did not come here initially to ask for money. I have been a member for a long time, and I initially put my story out there for emotional support. However, some very kind contributors advised that I should consider taking this route, so I have.

Whatever the outcome, I want to thank you all for your encouragement and support.

Comment

Speaking as a long-time forum member and former moderator, I think the best thing to do is give people your banking details via PM. That way you don't risk any problems by posting too much real-life data on the forum. Anyone who has contacted you in this thread or via PM or email would probably like the information.

One question - how will the logistics work in terms of what will be done with funds if (a) you have too much; (b) you don't have enough and can't move the dogs; or (c) you find a good home for them locally?

Comment

Speaking as a long-time forum member and former moderator, I think the best thing to do is give people your banking details via PM. That way you don't risk any problems by posting too much real-life data on the forum. Anyone who has contacted you in this thread or via PM or email would probably like the information.

One question - how will the logistics work in terms of what will be done with funds if (a) you have too much; (b) you don't have enough and can't move the dogs; or (c) you find a good home for them locally?
                              Yes, I don't think I would like my bank details on the forum itself. Anyone who would like them could pm me for details. As to your questions a) b) and c):

a) Every single penny/dollar/rupiah will be accounted for and donors will be informed on the gofundme page. If there is too much (I can't see that happening at this stage), the money will be paid forward to another good cause. I would really appreciate people's suggestions as to where they would like to see their money go if this scenario happened. I would take on board everyone's suggestions and then go with the majority choice. The fund itself will be closed down as soon as everything has been paid for re the dogs, even if that figure is below the amount requested on the page.

b) I really hope that this doesn't happen. As you can see on the fund site, the money coming in is just a trickle at the moment. However, don't forget I am selling everything I have got to try and make up any shortfall. Hopefully I will just about be able to make the amount needed to relocate the dogs.

c) I have tried all the trustworthy animal lovers I know around here. They have all got their own dogs and just do not have room for two more. I am wary of people I do not know as they may only want dogs for security reasons and will lock them in small cages 24/7. You just have to walk around the kompleks where I live to see how often that happens. The cage in full sunlight, very little water, and the dogs having to use the cage as a toilet as well! I just cannot bear the thought of my two having to live like that. I would rather have the dogs put down than to have them suffer in such a way...

Comment

Hi Everyone. It's me again. You must be getting a little sick of me by now.... As I have just been able to sell off some books, I decided to try out the donating function on the Gofundme site. As I suspected, and others have told me, it is not possible to donate using an Indonesian debit card (although on the site it does say 'credit or debit card'). I have no idea if credit cards work because I do not have one.

So back to Plan A. I will ask the person managing the page to credit my 'donation' as an off-line contribution. You may think I am a little crazy donating to my own fund, but by doing this people can clear see how much money has been collected... including my own contributions. This will give 'clear accounting'.

I have just tried to upload a picture of the dogs but it was rejected because it was too large. I am hopeless at that sort of thing! Will try again later.

Comment

Working...
                                X