Impossible to Repatriate my dogs to UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible to Repatriate my dogs to UK

I am in a state of absolute shock! It seems I would have to find something like IDR80 million+ to take my dogs with me to the UK. I knew it was going to be expensive but not this expensive! I had already decided to leave all my worldly possessions here in Indonesia and spend all the money I had on transporting the dogs. But even doing that, I would not have nearly enough money!!

I cannot bear the thought of having them 'put down'. It would be like killing my own children! Non-dog lovers might not understand that statement, but dog lovers will. And I hate to think of them kept in a cage 24/7.

So, is there any dog lover out there who has a house and garden big enough to let them run free, and who would be interested in adopting them. It would be easier in Medan, but I would pay the cost of moving them to another place, such as Jakarta, etc.

The dogs are a Golden Retriever and a smaller black mix breed dog. They are fully housebroken and are used to running in and out freely. However, they are also used to being left alone while I go off to work, shopping etc.

Please, please, please help me someone. I just don't know what to do next.

PS: I never anticipated having to leave Indonesia for at least a few more years. The special circumstances have come out of the blue!!

Oh dear. I wish I could help. Our house is fully "animal-ed up" or I would definitely volunteer. I will spread the word among my friends.

What an awful situation - I feel your pain. I could no more imagine leaving behind a beloved family pet than I could leave behind a child.

Comment

Thank you Puspawarna. Spreading the word around will definitely help. I am heartbroken, but what can I do! Anyway, I think I have until the end of June to find a new home for them, so hopefully someone will come forward by then. I know it is impossible for me to raise the money, so I just have to resign myself to the inevitable...

Comment

Sorry to hear about this phiss. I hope you find a good family for your perritos.
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Thanks Jaime C. You're not volunteering are you? Just joking!

I've just run into another problem I think. I may not be able to transfer dogs from Medan to Jakarta for permanent residence. Something to do with the rabies regulations on movement of animals. I have been told that I can only send them there if they are in transit waiting for a connecting airline for international flight. They are not allowed to leave the airport. Not sure how accurate this info is. Does anyone have an update on this?

It never rains but it pours! As the old saying goes....

Comment

Originally posted by phiss View Post
            Thanks Jaime C. You're not volunteering are you? Just joking!

I've just run into another problem I think. I may not be able to transfer dogs from Medan to Jakarta for permanent residence. Something to do with the rabies regulations on movement of animals. I have been told that I can only send them there if they are in transit waiting for a connecting airline for international flight. They are not allowed to leave the airport. Not sure how accurate this info is. Does anyone have an update on this?

It never rains but it pours! As the old saying goes....
            Unfortunately that may be right. One of the friends I contacted mentioned that it is really hard to transfer animals among locations in Indonesia. She mentioned Bali so I thought it wouldn't apply in this case. But maybe she was right

Comment

Yes, Bali is a definite no-go area because it is definitely not a rabies free area. I think the restrictions in Jakarta may be to try to keep it a rabies free area. However, I do read about pets being move to different areas in Indonesia, so I don't think it is a 'blanket' restriction. Anyway, let's just hope that someone here on Sumatera Island wants to adopt two dogs. Then I wouldn't bother with airplanes etc., but would just drive them to their new home.

BTW: My dogs have always been up to date on their vaccinations so that's not a problem. They are about to have a rabies booster, just in case a miracle happens and I can continue the relocation process!! I can't see that happening, but I shan't give up hope until every last possibility has been investigated.

Comment

I couldn't believe the price you quoted to bring a dog back to UK until I searched....geeesus...... UK IS serious and has a 4 month quarantine on imported dogs and so much restrictions/regulations I'm sure dozens of illegal economic migrants could get in easier.

I know how heart-wrenching it can be as we wanted to bring our Pom from Hong Kong to Canada where I immigrated.....and was trepiditious about the regulations. However, I picked up our dog from the cargo terminal at Vancouver as he had flown on the same aircraft as we had. The guy signed the import documents and said "git that yappy thing outta here...givin me a hedake"...

I knew, there and then, I'd made the right decision to give up on UK and immigrate...maybe another option for you.

Best of luck!

Comment

Yeah well, don't think immigration to another country is a realistic option for a 67 year old almost penniless person!! . You did make me smile though, which is a little difficult to do today, after I have received all this bad news.

I just hope that at some time within the next month or two some wonderful person is going to bang on my door and say: "Hey, I hear you got two wonderful, lovable dogs up for adoption... I want them to come live with me. I've got a big garden where they can run around... and a swimming pool" (My Golden Retriever loves swimming!).

Okay, I am fantasizing now! Better get back to reality.

Comment

I watched the TV channel CI about Canadian customs some chap brought 7 dogs from China, they were strays, got their documents straight in, now the UK try and smuggle a pet in its put down, illegal immigrants are treated quite well, nice hotel, some expenses, so I hope you can find a nice home phiss, I will ask around for you there are a surprising number of dog lovers in my area
                    Last edited by Anglian; 07-04-16, 18:43.

Comment

Hi everyone. Sorry to boot this thread up to the top again. But I am really quite desperate to find a solution for my dogs. I am going through the process of getting microchips, rabies vaccinations and later blood titer test done, just in case a miracle happens. But I don't think it will, and I really will have to find a good home for the dogs here in Indonesia. Please help if you can. The biggest problem is living in Medan. If I lived in Jakarta, getting all the medical stuff done would be a piece of cake. And find someone to adopt would be much easier. Here in Medan, the vets don't even have a stock of microchips available for implantation, and when you manage to get them yourself, most vets refuse to implant them. I am off today to a vet who says he will do it... Fingers crossed!!

Comment

Good luck and keep bumping...

Comment

Thanks Puspawarna. I really appreciate your support.

Comment

just go back to UK,and find another dog right there,,you bring a dog from this poor country??believe me that is bad idea,, #hateindonesia

Comment

Originally posted by Felixzipp View Post
                              just go back to UK,and find another dog right there,,you bring a dog from this poor country??believe me that is bad idea,, #hateindonesia
                              What a stupid person you are!

Comment

Working...
                              X