Malnourished Dogs ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malnourished Dogs ?

A pet shop introduced a locally-made dog food, I think why not, I can buy & support products made in Indonesia. Actually, the price per kilogram is just a little-bit cheaper than a good-quality Thai import. But price is not the issue, quality is… now I realize. So I switched, then noticed after 2-3 weeks that my dogs are thinner, their hind bones are protruding. I noticed it not visually (as they have thick coat), but by caressing them. So they lost weight even after feeding them 50% more than the previous brand as per the instructions (in reality, this local brand is not cheaper than imported brand if you calculate the amount to feed). Therefore, I have serious doubt on their nutritional specifications which says Crude Protein min. 18%, Crude Fat min. 6%, and Crude Fiber max. 5%. If only I can have the samples tested at a reputable laboratory (don’t know where)… in the USA, they can be sued if they mislabeled their products. I suspect my dogs are malnourished, they got full but their food is without much substance. It’s like a human who eats instant noodles every meal, he can be full but he’s not getting the nutrients.

The 20 kg dog food you buy for 320K in every pet shop hasn't given me any issues so far. But I do provide some variation at least once per week. Perhaps you should give them some Drontal? Worms also lead to weight loss, I give a pill every 3 months.
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
      The 20 kg dog food you buy for 320K in every pet shop hasn't given me any issues so far. But I do provide some variation at least once per week. Perhaps you should give them some Drontal? Worms also lead to weight loss, I give a pill every 3 months.
      same here- no probs with the 20kg (for 300rb here) & they get it mixed with rice, scraps & snacks... and often beef bones from the market.
      ... and anything they dig out or the refuse burner's ashes.
      Cicak Magnet

Comment

I gave up feeding my dogs commercially produced dog food. Even the so called gluten free products seemed to exacerbate the older dog's skin allergies. Their staple is now chicken, cooked up in large batches and frozen in portions, and brown rice and/or white rice. They also like rice noodles. Variations include red meat (when I can afford it! ), large beef bones (I let them have these whole while there is still meat clinging to the outside, then saw them into sections, so they can get at the bone marrow.) Homemade biscuits for treats (made from labu, ubi, brown rice flour, etc.). I sometimes include liver in the biscuits for an extra treat.

The small dog has a beautiful glossy black coat and is never ill. The golden retriever still has skin problems, but the outbreaks are much less frequent, and I can usually control them by treating immediately with a spray of 50% apple cider vinegar/50% water. All this works out much cheaper than buying bags of commercial dog food, and I also save on vet bills and medication, as I now rarely have to call the vet out.

Comment

Working...
        X