Care of dog in manado concerns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care of dog in manado concerns

Ok we are bringing our midsize dog with us to manado (other wise wife wont come lol) . Me big concern if there is any place in manado safe to board a dog for 2 to 4 weeks. We have parents in the states that r in their 80s . If we need to go to the states if anything happens to anyone , we would need to leave dog in manado. So choices are to find someone to take care of him at our house or board him. Any help?

I don't think that finding dog-friendly domestic staff in Manado will be all that difficult. Now if you don't plan on having a maid, jaga, or any other help, you may have more concerns to think about than finding a potential dog-sitter.

Comment

Of course we will have a housekeeper , its the law! (breaks my wifes heart) . But still was thinking about boarding just in case

Comment

If you don't need a maid, don't get one. Plenty of expats go without them.

I'd watch your dogs, certainly. I've heard some folks find them quite delicious.
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          If you don't need a maid, don't get one. Plenty of expats go without them.
          I think part of the deal for getting a retirement visa is that you agree to employ an Indonesian. Household staff is the obvious way to fulfill this requirement. (But I'm no expert on the matter - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Comment

You are right! Part of retirement visa is signing a contract with goverment that we hire household help. (great law , my wife says)

Comment

Only problem with eating our dog jaime, is that it would be your last meal

Comment

I applaud you for exploring all the contingencies, but with the likely prospect of having household staff comfortable with your dog, and more importantly that the dog is comfortable with, exploring kennel options is probably one option too far.

While there are exceptions, boarding a dog for any length of time is risky and could even be a death sentence for you pet. (I bet you already know that.) Best to leave your dog in the care of staff you have selected for just such a contingency, or following Jaime's lead, make like-mined friends in Monado who would be willing to trade off pet-setting occasions with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveandpenny View Post
                  Only problem with eating our dog jaime, is that it would be your last meal
                  Dog is an accepted protein in parts of Indonesia. Atlantis has said that it's a bit of a delicacy in Manado. If you are stating that you would kill someone who did this to you, then I'd say you may want to rethink your decision to bring the dog with you.

I have not eaten cats, dogs or similar in my lifetime. I hope to never do so. Indonesia is not the US though. There are no dog catchers, pounds or the like that I know of. If your dog gets out, it may be someone's dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                    Dog is an accepted protein in parts of Indonesia. Atlantis has said that it's a bit of a delicacy in Manado. If you are stating that you would kill someone who did this to you, then I'd say you may want to rethink your decision to bring the dog with you.

I have not eaten cats, dogs or similar in my lifetime. I hope to never do so. Indonesia is not the US though. There are no dog catchers, pounds or the like that I know of. If your dog gets out, it may be someone's dinner.
                    I suppose anything is possible, but that suggestion that loose pets end up as dinner in Monado seems to be a chapter from Chandler's classic, The Remarkable Story of Chicken Little. It is likely needlessly alarming for potential retirees with dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                      I suppose anything is possible, but that suggestion that loose pets end up as dinner in Monado seems to be a chapter from Chandler's classic, The Remarkable Story of Chicken Little. It is likely needlessly alarming for potential retirees with dogs.
                      Oh, you're right. No one has ever eaten, poisoned, or stolen a dog in Indonesia.

Comment

Superlatives do not usually comport with reality. There are probably more Forum members prone to hyperbole than dog eaters in Monado.

Of course I could be wrong, but let's not scare the children.
                        Last edited by waarmstrong; 25-03-15, 11:11.

Comment

Jamie I asumed you comment about eating the dog was tongue in cheek ,as was mine, if you took it wrong, im sorry. I fully understand the dogs well being is in my hands and yes dogs can dissapear . But bosco (our dog) stays by ourside alwas or is in the house. our big problem is we have to much time thinking about possiablites for our own good. Im sure any one who will be working in our home will love and care for the dog well.

Comment

Oh also the eating of dogs and cats (and other things) are part of the culture of the area and though I dont think we will particapate in it, we do respect it.

Comment

In the words of Monty Python, "I THINK WE'VE GOT AN EATER!"

Comment

Working...
                              X