Isn't a dog a pet???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't a dog a pet???

A neighbor helped me dig up a couple trees of un-tasty bananas this morning. Actually, he dug and I loaded & pushed the wheelbarrow. He mentioned that another neighbor a couple streets over had a big dog now. I said, yeah his larger one is close to the size of mine. My neighbor said, no Pak Mul bought a dog bigger than yours, a brown labrador. He sold his other one and kept his small one.

[In passing, I want to mention that little dog / big dog is almost as routine as good cop / bad cop around here. I take my dog for a walk and we hear a small dog yapping. If we get close, the small dog runs inside and wakes up the big dog that is its partner.]

Back to the topic: a couple hours later, I walked over to the next gang (the one that has a mebel seller only "15 m" away -- see other thread) and saw a young woman walking a large German shepherd. We chatted briefly, then I dashed back to get my shepherd/husky mix who was curious about the larger, older male but after about a minute, the older dog growled and snapped.

So, it turns out this woman is married to the guy who owns a bengkel at the end of that gang, on the main road. A month or so ago, her husband told me he was going to sell the two smallish, whitish females he had, one of which flirted with our male dog. I assumed he didn't want any dogs, but now it seems he wanted a guard dog.

OTOH, the fact that two people in our neighborhood coldly (?) sold off a dog and bought another one (or two) makes me wonder if they are (a) amateur dealers, trying to "flip" a pure breed dog to make money, or (b) somehow interested in dogs but as a sort of curiosity or habit, not as a loveable pet.

I should mention that pet attitudes vary with culture. I never saw a dog owner cook for his or her dog until I moved to Thailand 25 years ago. There it's common to buy unappealing cuts of meat and cook them up for your dog. OTOH, neighbors there thought it was odd that I bought raw eggs and fed them to my dogs instead of a human eating the eggs.

Originally posted by martindo View Post
    OTOH, the fact that two people in our neighborhood coldly (?) sold off a dog and bought another one (or two) makes me wonder if they are (a) amateur dealers, trying to "flip" a pure breed dog to make money, or (b) somehow interested in dogs but as a sort of curiosity or habit, not as a loveable pet.
    Where I live dogs are no pets. They are raised with the idea that they will guard a house and, when they reach the required size, when the family needs some money and/or when there is an acara, they are put to death and eaten. Plain simple.

Every morning in any of our markets you would see dead dogs carried on the shoulders of buruh who bring them to the sellers. At IDR 35 to IDR 40.000 a kilo, you'd better keep an eye on your pet if you don't want that someone shows him the way to the market.

A majority of our supermarkets sell RW (dog meat) and you'd better be aware of it if you visit the city and do some shopping.

Comment

Yes, we were warned about dog meat "poachers" even in predominantly Muslim Java.

I saw Pak Mul at the rapat RT a couple hours ago and he said he did NOT sell either of his dogs. The neighbor who helped me with the banana trees had confused the new brown German shepherd of the bengkel owner with Pak Mul's pair. It's likely that the bengkel people sold their two females to buy two guard dogs because their shop is vacant at night.

Still, one might wonder why they bought two small (and friendly) female dogs in the first place if they wanted big guard dogs...

Comment

Poisoning dogs in Bali is also prevalent, I was shocked to witness one dog in his death throes whilst his 2 playmates lay dead beside him at the end of the street a few months ago. Dog meat is openly sold as "dageng RW" here in Bali and the restaurants that sell it employ people to go around residential areas on motor bikes dispensing small balls of meat laced with a powerful poison. Our dog was also poisoned as was our neighbors dog who, being smaller died. This isn't condoned by the Balinese and on occasion these guys are caught when they return to pick up the carcasses and take a real beating from local residents, who ironically allow their dogs to roam free.

Comment

some people have dogs just for fashion or something.. my cousin's family do the same.. they have dogs just because they want to, and they put it in a cage.. small cage..its so saddd.. and the other one is ugly because they couldn't take care of it.. most of its hair is gone and they dumped the dog, but the dog keep comming back (yeaah of course)... the dog was so cute like marimar dog, bulgoso http://p1.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/30...sotelevisa.jpg

and after their dogs died because they didnt taking good care of them, they buy new dog again again and again

actually i cook for my dog, i buy meat, liver, chicken at supermarket and boil them, seperate the bones, and feed my dog with it
          i dont eat meat as much as my dog.. people think im crazy, because they think meat is pricey and dog is just animal.. that don't deserve good food like that
          [FONT=Tahoma]for my part i know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream...[/FONT]

Comment

Well, their digestive system is different, so they need more meat, less grain or vegetable matter.

That pulgoso looks like a sheepdog.

Yes, I think it's status or fashion. Also, the people aren't necessarily cruel -- it's like they have a new toy and don't know how to care for it.

In our case, my wife agreed to the younger child's request for a dog, but only after we got it did she realize how much "bulu" flies around, and other aspects of caring for the dog. That might explain why a lot of dogs end up in a cage that is inside a garage.

Comment

This is why I don't think I can grant my son's request for having a dog as a pet at the moment. I am still not sure if I'll be able to take a good care of the dog since I've never had any pet in my whole life and let alone my son who's only 6 years old. So, have to hold it at least until my son is old enough to know how to take a good care of his own pet. And talking about people who eats dog meat, no judging but its so unacceptable to me.
              [FONT=times new roman]Follow your heart, but take your brain with you.[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by TutiPuFi View Post
                And talking about people who eats dog meat, no judging but its so unacceptable to me.
                Don't knock it til you've tried it - dog meat is actually quite tasty.

Comment

I don't think a dog lover would want to eat dog meat...maybe cat meat?

Comment

Originally posted by sul1995 View Post
                    I don't think a dog lover would want to eat dog meat...maybe cat meat?
                    Yeah eating pussy is definitely nicer yeah yeah yeah I know but I just couldn't help myself

Comment

i cooked for my dog when i still live with my mom. Fried chicken liver (complete spices such as garlic and stuffs). If any case he gained weight and if his cholesterol level shooting up, i will take the blame. He just didn't want to eat raw meat. Then again he was a lovely companion and hilarious sometimes. Barking on a group of street dogs then ran behind my back to keep barking. So.. brave.
                      Dancing along the bumpy road of life. And it feels damn good!

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                        Don't knock it til you've tried it - dog meat is actually quite tasty.

I think I was fed dog meat 1 night ......... because I ended up barking all night myself .......
                        The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Originally posted by macvert View Post
                          I think I was fed dog meat 1 night ......... because I ended up barking all night myself .......
                          Yeah I must admit since I ate dog meet every time I piss I have to fight the urge to lift up my leg

Comment

Originally posted by bucketofmumbles View Post
                            i cooked for my dog when i still live with my mom. Fried chicken liver (complete spices such as garlic and stuffs). If any case he gained weight and if his cholesterol level shooting up, i will take the blame. He just didn't want to eat raw meat. Then again he was a lovely companion and hilarious sometimes. Barking on a group of street dogs then ran behind my back to keep barking. So.. brave.
                            noo bucket...dont feed your dog, meat with garlic..

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...hazardous-dogs
                            [FONT=Tahoma]for my part i know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream...[/FONT]

Comment

hooo he never had a problem like that. Died of old age (13 years). Anjing kampung. He even eat my cat's food (ikan cue).
                              Dancing along the bumpy road of life. And it feels damn good!

Comment

Working...
                              X