Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite breed of dog and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favourite breed of dog and why?

I personally love the big breeds. I have a Rottweiler and a Boxer.
    I think I am adverse to small breeds because my grandmother always had Toy Yorkshire Terriers and they were yappy.
    I have had a 3 Labradors - they were brilliant dogs, gentle nature but easy to train and good house/ guard dogs ... but the puppies chew, chew and chew... especially if you have to go out to work and leave them home alone for any period of time.
    I had a Dobermann and she was lovely too but a bit highly strung
    My Welsh Border Collie was so very clever, easy to train but he had long hair so he took a fair bit of grooming.
    My German Shepherd - she was lovely but very territorial and once attacked my cousin because she walked into the room where I was with the dog... if people were already in the room she was fine but flip that and she was trained to protect (by her previous owner) ...
    So what type of dog do you have or would you choose and why?
    Cicak Magnet

I hate yappy dogs. Or ankle biters, I call them. Larger dogs can be nice, but the amount of food/poop, plus their generally shorter lifespan make me reluctant to ever have one. I've had mostly medium small dogs (10-20 pounds). I wish I could have one now, but with a little baby, and traveling outside of Indonesia a lot, it's not quite fair.

I inherited a cat from an uncle in Phoenix, that I'm sharing custody, with my brother, but she's a scaredy cat, so far.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

So, maybe with my new plot of land, I could open up a boarding kennels for those who have to travel... would I be classed as working if I was out in the lane walking pooches...?
      Cicak Magnet

Comment

I LOVE GERMAN SHEPHERD!

My dad loved it but because we lived in a small house in the middle of Betawinese kampung in Jakarta, my parents can't afford to see their children cried. Not because we can't afford to get one, but they gave us a little pooch at one point, and it was dead the next day. Someone poisoned its water bowl. Since then, my dad only allowed me to keep a local breed cat (stray ones that decided to stop by for a meal and go).

Now that I'm married and living with my husband, we can get a more decent house and a larger garden. Our dog, a three-legged GSD was purchased cheaply to keep him away from the cooking pot. The dog was born with one limp leg and if the owner can't sell him, he'll be eaten. We had it treated and operated before he turned 1.
        He turns out to be the sweetest dog alive. Very mild manner, loving, and obedient and together with his orange tabby "sibling" they become the soul of our house now.
        [COLOR=black]
        [/COLOR]

Comment

I like all kinds of dogs, even a poodle or a small terrier/pincher. The character is what the 'owner' makes it.

But for a country with this climate, I do think you should avoid certain types of dogs. Especially the short nosed (English and French Bulldog, Boxer, ...) ones. And energetic long haired breeds are risky too of course.

Doberman has a bit of a tendency to be nervous, but is rather good for over here. You can see the resemblance with the street dogs here (esp. when the ears are not cropped & taped). Rottweiler can cope very well too.
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

My Boxer is fine with the climate here... but I am not baking (or swimming) down in Jakarta. The climate here in Bandung is very similar to warm English summer days.
            Cicak Magnet

Comment

I love Rottweilers. I had two of them since I settled in Indonesia and both were wonderful dogs. A male and a female. Both unfortunately passed away. The female died this last December. I am still a bit under the trauma but I know that I will soon look for puppies of the same breed.
              Both were incredible dogs. I loved just everything from them.

I left Indonesia in November and I had one cat officially registered in the house with two of her kittens which should have been given to some of my inlaws. I came back and had the surprise to find out that the kittens are still here and are now five months old... and are females. That was my first surprise. The second was to discover that my cat gave birth to 5 more kittens. Since they won't be given before they reach the age of 3 months, I think that I am gonna be pretty busy if I add two Rott puppies...

Comment

Let me know if you decide that you do want a Rottweiler pup A, because our bitch is almost 1 year old, when she is a bit older (maybe another 6 months or so) we will let her have a litter and you will at least know that the mom is not a breeding machine but a family pet, from a decent line.

I have to admit I do favour my Boxer because he was with me when I was alone and I babied him a bit too much. The Rottie is such a bouncy friendly dog, but even from a few months old she was good and protective of the house and us. If anyone is around that shouldn't be she has her hackles up and starts barking- and means business.
                Cicak Magnet

Comment

Jstar, to help him to cope with the heat of this city (the GSD is a long haired one), his vet instructed us to get his coat shaved off once every couple of months. The difference is very significant. He pants little now and looks more comfy. He used to shed a lot due to the heat, but now, no problem whatsoever.
                  [COLOR=black]
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                    So, maybe with my new plot of land, I could open up a boarding kennels for those who have to travel... would I be classed as working if I was out in the lane walking pooches...?
                    That's a great idea! I hope you're serious about that, there's not a single place or a person I would trust my dogs with here in Bandung.

Comment

Shihtzu. I have 3 Adorable Shihtzus, and they mean the world for me my little angels..
                      ~Miss Vonny~

Comment

Kitis, what sort of dogs do you have?
                        Cicak Magnet

Comment

I have two samoyeds and a beagle.

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                            Let me know if you decide that you do want a Rottweiler pup A, because our bitch is almost 1 year old, when she is a bit older (maybe another 6 months or so).
                            I think that in 6 months from now, I will already have the Rotts. Also I would like to avoid them the trauma of moving them from Jakarta to manado. Rotts of a decent line are easy to find in Manado. Thanks anyway.

Comment

I love Beagles, and Samoyeds are lovely too.. heehee I guess I am just a doggy person...

@atlantis, of course.... I keep forgetting you are miles & miles away I hope you find just what you want xxx
                              I always think I will never get another dog , mainly because they tie one down so much but I always end up with one- I feel almst naked without a dog around.

I have had to adjust my way of living with dogs here though.
                              For sure they are not in the house so much as they would be in the UK.
                              I have had to have them cage trained too so that if I do go away the poor soul who cares for them can do so without too much hassle. Being as I am in a mainly moslem area its less easy to find a carer for the dogs. With them both being big they tend to scare the bejeeezus out of most folk.

@kitis - the only place I have found that is half decent is Pet Distro on Jl Sukajadi just a bit up from and opposite PVJ mall ... however they do not like to take in big dogs.
                              So who knows maybe we can get around to some arrangement if either of us if having to trip off.

As for my land purchase - it fell through so back on the hunt....
                              Cicak Magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X