Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a problem with no solution, can you help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a problem with no solution, can you help?

I have been living in Jakarta since October 2002, and now it is time to go home to Perth (Australia) for good. My problem is, since I arrived I have collected/adopted/taken in some cats and have become very attached to them. I cannot take them home to Perth, I cannot give them away because they are off the street (kampung cats) and nobody wants them. I cannot bear the thought of having them put to sleep and there isnt a vet who is willing to do it anyway. I have a total of five indoor cats and a few outdoor ones who depend on me for their food and shelter although they are free to come and go as they please. The outdoor cats have not learned to forage because they came to me as abandoned kittens and therefore have not been taught to live off the street.

I have visited the cat shelter at Ragunan and there is no way I can take my pets to that place. They do try their very best to cope with all the animals they have there but it is just not an option I am willing to even consider. I am sure my cats would prefer to go to cat heaven than to be at that place.

I dont know what to do, I have to leave at the end of this year, I cannot abandon them or dump them out in the streets, they wont survive.

Can anyone help me with a solution? I am desperate and I cant bear to think about this problem as I get very very stressed out and desperate. I love my cats very much and it will be hard enough to leave them behind, let alone think of what is going to happen to them.

One of them is a very precious, very gorgeous girl called Sweetpea. She got hit by a bike or something when she was very little. Her mom abandoned her and I found her in a gutter trying to get out. She is brain-damaged but she survived and is now a very happy, fat, contended little girl with a very funny personality. Thinking of leaving her behind just breaks my heart....as does leaving them all behind....please help.

Can't you at least take one or two of them with you?
    My family brought a dog and a cat back from America when they returned to the UK. It required a lot of paper work and visits to the vets but it can be done.
    The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

What a sad story. If you are leaving at the end of the year, good for you for starting early on trying to find a solution. (Travellingchez, it's my understanding that it is much harder to import cats to Australia than it is to the US - they have insane quarantine regulations that essentially make it impossible unless you pay through the nose for an extended and stressful quarantine period for your animal.)

The only thing I can suggest is that you make a really concerted effort to find homes for as many of the cats as you can. Take cute digital pictures, and put signs up at Groovy Pets, the JAAN animal clinic, Kemchicks, and anywhere else you can think of (anybody else got suggestions?). Have you talked to JAAN about what to do? Surely they would help you by putting the cats to sleep if necessary - as painful as that is, it is certainly preferable to leaving the kitties to starve on the street.

I'm sorry I can't take one or more of your cats - we have two cats adopted off the street already, plus two dogs.

Here's the Jakarta Animal Aid Network (JAAN) website: http://www.jakartaanimalaid.com/

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
        ...The only thing I can suggest is that you make a really concerted effort to find homes for as many of the cats as you can. Take cute digital pictures, and put signs up at Groovy Pets, the JAAN animal clinic, Kemchicks, and anywhere else you can think of (anybody else got suggestions?).....
        Agree with Puspa. I'd like to add some if you don't mind. These sites are in Indonesian but you can get google to translate them for you.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/pecinta-kucing/
        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5010958&v=wall
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/pecint...ng/96159600097

Good luck AussieGirl!

Oh another one
        http://www.kucingkita.com/forum/view...63dd8fa260b05d
        Last edited by nickie; 10-03-11, 10:34.
        [COLOR="navy"]Leave the gun, take the cannoli[/COLOR] - The Godfather

Comment

I'm sure that if they were left to their own devices they would find ways to survive. Maybe not the gravy-train they've been on, but they won't just curl up and die.

I'm surprised you considered putting them down...for shame!! Healthy animals?? Leave them alone, they will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Dog View Post
            I'm sure that if they were left to their own devices they would find ways to survive. Maybe not the gravy-train they've been on, but they won't just curl up and die.

I'm surprised you considered putting them down...for shame!! Healthy animals?? Leave them alone, they will be fine.
            Turning a housepet out onto the street to fend for itself is extremely cruel. Fortunately, I think there is little chance that the OP will take your dreadful advice.

Comment

If you were not going back to Australia , you would be feeding ( and paying for it ) and medically looking after those cats untill death right ? , as thats the responsibility you accept when you decide to take on a pet .

So what if you agree to give them away , " with " you offering to continue with this financial responsibility ....., it might make the offer a bit more attractive , and your cats will continue on their merry way .

Good luck with finding them a home .

Comment

Cats from Indonesia can't go to Aussie directly. They have to stay for minimum 6 months in a rabies-free country, and this is gonna be expensive. Hopefully you get new homes for your cats.

Comment

I wish I had more suggestions, but I'm afraid I don't. We can't take on any more animals. We have a dog and two cats in the States and we just adopted a dog through JAAN and we're acting as a foster home for JAAN, too.

I second Puspa's JAAN recommendation. Add them as a friend on Facebook and write a post about it. They can share it on their page. You might get some positive results that way.

Davo's suggestion of paying someone to take them is a good idea, too. For some people, they aren't opposed to adopting a cat but the financial commitment might be a little intimidating. If you offer money, they might be more likely to consider it.

Comment

Puspawarna,

She said herself that they are street cats (kampung cats) so what is the drama?? My dreadful advice is to turn them loose to fend for themselves as opposed to killing the things...I think you have your priorities turned around!!

Comment

She also stated, "The outdoor cats have not learned to forage because they came to me as abandoned kittens and therefore have not been taught to live off the street."

Comment

one solution ...

I can't give advice to the OP only to others who may read the thread, if you are not going to live in Indonesia for the duration of your pets life and can't take them home with you when you do leave. Then don't adopt. A pet is for life. Leaving the pet aone will cause heartbreak and misery on both sides.

I'm sorry if I sound brutal but attaching oneself to animals and making them dependent on oneself is not my idea of being kind to them in the long run if one cannot fulfill ones long term responsibilities.

Comment

I'm terribly sorry to hear this ethical dilemma you're facing I am also experiencing this ethical dilemma. at the moment too. I've taken in a kitteh under care (it was abandoned and had a bad hind leg). Unfortunately, I will only be staying here in Indonesia for less than 2 years.

I am starting to get attached to this kitteh that was abandoned (!!) by the alley cat mom (who resides on the front garden with other cats who go in and out freely). This kitteh stays in the back garden and sometimes indoors. This week, I've tried to release her in the front garden, so she could at least try to reunite with her mom and be accepted by her relatives. Unfortunately, she's still being rejected by the mom and even got bullied by her older sister I've made the kitten dependent for me on food and fuzzing, and I fear that it will be helpless in the future. I am also considering finding a home for her, as she's being rejected by her peers

Anyways, very sad circumstances. You were very kind to take care of them for many many years, neutering and providing shelter and food. I understand that you have a long relationship with them, as their surrogate mother. But cats are cats, and are highly adaptable to the circumstances presented to them. I hope you won't lose hope, and find homes for them. If not, do not anguish about it too much. Personally, I don't believe in pet euthanasia. Let them live their life, even if they're on their own, at least they already have each other.

But then, I don't really know... My best wishes for you and your cats. I have my fingers and toes for you, AussieGirlinJakarta!

Comment

Originally posted by AussieGirlinJakarta View Post
                            I have been living in Jakarta since October 2002, and now it is time to go home to Perth (Australia) for good.
                            Dear AussieGirlin Jakarta,

I hope the possibility to find a foster 'parents' for the cats is higher in Jakarta than in Bali. Just be a member of [email protected] and tell you are seeking a foster home for your cats, hopefully some one will answer. To be a member, just send blank email to [email protected].

I really hope all the best for the cats

Comment

unfortunately Australia does not allow the import of cats and dogs and the only way to get them into the country is if I take them to Singapore where they have to live for at least six months and then apply to quarantine to take them into Australia and they will have to endure many more months of quarantine. It is a very expensive operation, I have too many and I cant afford to do it, and I dont think they will survive the trauma either. But thanks for your comment anyway, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X