【Medan】Im a foreigner in Medan, wanna make some foreign friends here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 【Medan】Im a foreigner in Medan, wanna make some foreign friends here

the life in this city is kind of boring, wanna make some foreign friends to change the situation,

we can hang out at weekends for a drink or a walk

Mister Bule and Phiss are the only regular posters from Medan, I think. Of course, you could always head west and come visit with me.

You'll certainly find less drinking here, but I think we've got the upperhand when it comes to natural beauty and hospitality.

Comment

haha, thank u for ur reply. drinks here really are less and expensive.

want to know Mr. Bule and Phiss, please reply me if you see this post.. i really need some friends having the same life attitude. Im a chinese, but my thoughts are more western.

Comment

im a very easy-going man with humor

Comment

Originally posted by ithinker View Post
          im a very easy-going man with humor
          And cute?
          Me likey

Comment

haha, not very good looking, but im really a man with good personalities and [COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial]characters. Jakarta is more international, how is ur living there?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Personalities has more value than a look right?
              Well, jakarta is good... I'm trying my best to enjoy. Complaining wont do any help i guess...
              i sing or talking to myself when on traffic, hide in my dungeon (its my daybed actually) when really hot outside. go out of town for few days when i have about enough. Its been good...
              My sister in law and the rest of her families have moved to bogor from medan.. I went there few times and i love indian foods especially lassi at kampong keling, have dinner or snacks at merdeka walk, went to brastagi... Medan is quite interesting but i must say that i don't love the way people drive there. Well jakarta's street is tough but less speeding due to its tradfic but in medan.. Well probably wrong. I could've wrong to memorize medan.
              so you are local chinese or CN nationality lives in medan?
              Me likey

Comment

Originally posted by Rins_soe View Post
                Personalities has more value than a look right?
                Well, jakarta is good... I'm trying my best to enjoy. Complaining wont do any help i guess...
                i sing or talking to myself when on traffic, hide in my dungeon (its my daybed actually) when really hot outside. go out of town for few days when i have about enough. Its been good...
                My sister in law and the rest of her families have moved to bogor from medan.. I went there few times and i love indian foods especially lassi at kampong keling, have dinner or snacks at merdeka walk, went to brastagi... Medan is quite interesting but i must say that i don't love the way people drive there. Well jakarta's street is tough but less speeding due to its tradfic but in medan.. Well probably wrong. I could've wrong to memorize medan.
                so you are local chinese or CN nationality lives in medan?

thanks~~, Im CN nationality.

I think it's great to go out of town every one or two months, I like that.

Merdeka walk is a good outdoor place where u can stay with friend for a relaxed afternoon, chatting and drinking.

Brastagi is good for holiday rest, quiet, fresh air, beautiful nature. I love there. But the local like to go [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]Malaysia for a holiday. I think they were just used to the beautiful nature spots but like safe and modern cities better.

if u went here, I will treat you as an old friend~~ [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Medan Hash house harriers maybe up your street. http://mh3.medanhash.com/ or one of the many other hash groups. http://indohash.com/sumatra.html
                  The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

I'm a really boring stay-home type now! My wild 'partying every night' days are way behind me! Have got my two dogs, and I am happy to stay home and look after them when I am not working. However, once you get some networking going, Medan is not such a boring place. Medan Club (the bar and restaurant on the second floor is the place where many expats (of all nationalities) and locals hang out. If you are confident enough to initiate conversations with complete strangers, you should soon find people who have similar interests as yourself. The hash house harriers used to meet up there, but I am not sure they still do.

If you like nightclubs, try the Tavern (part of the Danau Toba Hotel). There is also an Irish Pub... but I can't remember the address at the moment. I will try to find it later.

Anyway, good luck. There are quite a lot of expats in Medan now, but it is just a matter of making those initial connections.

Comment

Thank u for ur reply. I would like to go Medan club or Tavern this weekends. does anyone often go there? wanna a friendly guide~~

phiss, enjoy ur staying home and pets around, best wishes,

Originally posted by phiss View Post
                      I'm a really boring stay-home type now! My wild 'partying every night' days are way behind me! Have got my two dogs, and I am happy to stay home and look after them when I am not working. However, once you get some networking going, Medan is not such a boring place. Medan Club (the bar and restaurant on the second floor is the place where many expats (of all nationalities) and locals hang out. If you are confident enough to initiate conversations with complete strangers, you should soon find people who have similar interests as yourself. The hash house harriers used to meet up there, but I am not sure they still do.

If you like nightclubs, try the Tavern (part of the Danau Toba Hotel). There is also an Irish Pub... but I can't remember the address at the moment. I will try to find it later.

Anyway, good luck. There are quite a lot of expats in Medan now, but it is just a matter of making those initial connections.

Comment

Hi ithinker. I have been in Medan for the better part of two years -and will probably be around for a while to come - but what phiss said is pretty much ditto for me, though I (sadly) have no dogs or pets... in my case it is a wife who keeps me at home (not by force, just sort of by gravitation... well, that is a kind of force, isn't it).. We don't go out much, just to shopping and occasionaly Merdeka Walk or the movies at Palladium. I tend to agree with you that Medan is pretty boring and is not the most pleasant place to live - there is really not a lot to do here as far as I'm concerned. I am not really the kind of person who is thrilled by shopping malls. Anyway, we are pretty much middle-aged (I hate to admit it, but it's true) stay-at-home types when not working and are not looking for a lot of nightlife. As you mentioned, there are some nice places within a few hours ride / drive... Berestagi, Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang and Tangkahan if you like nature or just cool and relatively quiet get-away places with some nice scenery. They are good places to meet expats too of course, though most of them likely don't live at Medan.

I know there are a number of expats around Medan, however I rarely see other "bule people" around except for occasional backpackers / tourists around the Grand Mosque or the big hotels, or very occasionaly in Carrefour etc. I haven't really made a point of trying to meet or find other expats though. There is a sort of Medan Expats Club, I'm not sure the exact name of it but they are on Facebook... expats of various nationalities and locals are involved in it, I know because one of my work colleagues (she is Indonesian) is a member. I have not been involved with them at all but I'm pretty sure they are welcoming to any newcomers. I'll try to get some more specific inofrmation for you. I don't really know much about their activities but I know they celebrate holidays and get together for some other activities.

The Irish Pub is called O'Flaherty's (unless the name has changed) and I think it is at Jl. Kom Udara Adi Sucipto 8 U-V, (that is what the internet tells me anyway) The phone # listed on the net is +62 61 7880690 (I haven't been there yet myself).

There is also the Tip Top Cafe on Jl. Katamso. It is semi-famous, dating back to late colonial times, I don't know if it is really a good place to meet expats nowadays but might be... I'd say the Hash House Harriers or Medan Expats would be your best bet, and / or the places phiss mentioned. There isalso a small bar / beer garden "Lily's" at TASBI komplek where some expats hang out, drink beer, fart around, tell stories, etc.

There are a few Chinese Nationals (all female) currently teaching in my school. They are very nice (mostly young )ladies, some married, some single... I don't really know where they go or what they like to do in their free time though. Anyway, good luck... if you're having difficulties after giving some of these suggestions a shot I'll see if I can do something more to help.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Made a search for "Medan Expats"... I didn't find the name of the club I mentioned earlier, but did come across this incredibly insightful fluff peice from the much-celebrated Jakarta Post:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...sian-life.html

Comment

Is this what you were talking about? https://www.facebook.com/MedanSumatr...Expats?fref=ts
                            The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by travellingchez View Post
                              Is this what you were talking about? https://www.facebook.com/MedanSumatr...Expats?fref=ts
                              Nope... this is an actual social organization / club which has a page on Facebook. I'm too tired to look for it any more tonight. I'll try to ask my friend tomorrow at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X