New here and looking for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and looking for advice

Hi everybody, I am just finishing up my TEFL course whilst awaiting for my degree results and I am planning on travelling to Indonesia to teach in January (hopefully all of this Covid-19 madness will have subsided by then). I'm hoping to find some advice and help on here to aid with the process of organising everything this end and then with the actual transition in the new year. I am grateful for any future help any of you may give me and hope in time to be able to give some advice and help back myself. Thank you, Ozzy

Be informed that , according to Indonesian Laws/Regulations , only foreign worker expert is allowed to legally work in Indonesia . By expert , in my view , it means you need a college/university diploma + minimum 5 years work experience related to the subject of the diploma .

We heard of some foreigners working illegally here in Indonesia but they are risking going to jail , paying a big fine , being deported , and blacklisted (cannot enter Indonesia anymore) .

http://www.expat.or.id/business/jobseekers.html

Comment

Thanks for your response Marcus. That's annoying and puts a bit of a dent in my travel plans, my TEFL organisation's website said I just needed a degree and TEFL certification to be able to teach in Indonesia and have job listings on their website that I can apply for. I'll take it up with them then as that's a bit misleading the way they've advertised Indonesia to me. Thanks again.

Comment

Yes , when money is involved you better not believe much and look for the Laws/Regulations . Below is one of the rules , it is a new version but the old ones already required 5 years of work experience .

PerMen no.10 Year 2018 (Indonesian Manpower's Regulation)
        Article 5
        A foreign worker must :
        a. have education diploma that is related to the qualifications required for the work position ;
        b. have a competency certificate or have work experience of at least 5 years related to the qualifications required for the work position ;
        c. transfer his/her expertise to a designated Indonesian worker;
        d. have an Indonesian Tax Registration Number if to work for more than 6 months; and
        e. have Work Visa/e-ITAS issued by the Indonesian Immigration Department .

Note : Not an official translation

Comment

Thank you again, this forum is already proving a sound choice. I appreciate your help. I'd take the word 'or' there with 'competency certificate or have work experience' as meaning that my TEFL will be sufficient but I'll contact the British and Indonesian embassies for clarity. If I find out anything contrary to the above then I'll put it on here. Again I appreciate you raising this concern for me so I can look into it before booking anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy9419 View Post
            (1) ... I'd take the word 'or' there with 'competency certificate or have work experience' as meaning that my TEFL will be sufficient

(2) but I'll contact the British and Indonesian embassies for clarity...

(1) I didn't mention this "competency certificate" before because in more than 10 years in this Forum I never heard of anybody using it as a substitute for the 5 years work experience (I would guess it is for a exceptional certificate like a PhD) .

See in the link below an example of how to interpret the government requirements .
            http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...able-next-year (example of requirements from an employer)

(2) Also I never heard of anybody getting this type of information from Embassies . I am sure Indonesian Embassies can answer questions about Visas , which is an Immigartion issue . But thiat Regulation I showed is from Manpower Department . I suggest you to contact the Indonesian Manpower instead : https://tka-online.kemnaker.go.id/kontak.asp (I am not sure but you may need to ask in Indonesian) .
            Note : TKA = foreign worker , see below the original version of the Regulation for you to use it in your question

PerMen no.10 Tahun 2018
            Pasal 5
            Setiap TKA yang dipekerjakan oleh Pemberi Kerja TKA wajib:
            a. memiliki pendidikan yang sesuai dengan kualifikasi jabatan yang akan diduduki oleh TKA;
            b. memiliki sertifikat kompetensi atau memiliki pengalaman kerja paling sedikit 5 (lima) tahun yang sesuai dengan kualifikasi jabatan yang akan diduduki TKA;
            c. mengalihkan keahliannya kepada Tenaga Kerja Pendamping;
            d. memiliki Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak bagi TKA yang sudah bekerja lebih dari 6 (enam) bulan; dan
            e. memiliki Itas untuk bekerja yang diterbitkan oleh instansi yang berwenang.
            Last edited by marcus; 17-06-20, 09:48.

Comment

Working...
            X