Thinking About Moving Back to Indonesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About Moving Back to Indonesia

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Erick, I currently live in Florida, U.S.A., and I am thinking about moving back to Indonesia. I previously lived in Indonesia for 30 years but have been back in the U.S. the past 12 years. I know lots has changed in Indonesia since I left in 2008, so I need to get a lot of questions answered before returning to Indonesia. My wife (an Indonesian citizen) and son (dual citizen) will be returning in a few months to scope things out and see if we will make the final decision to return. We will probably move to the Demak, Central Java area if we return.

My first question is that I heard that fiskal tax is again being collected at the airports. Is this true? I am thinking my wife and son would be exempt since they currently reside in the United States I'd appreciate any up-to-date information concerning this.

I look forward to communicating with many of you and hopefully see you in Indonesia soon.

Erick Venden

Originally posted by Erick1234 View Post
    ... My first question is that I heard that fiskal tax is again being collected at the airports. Is this true? ...

I am not aware of any recent information about that , could you tell us from where you got that ?

If there was a information about that recently , it probably is one of the many changes that the Indonesian Government intends to include in a new "Omnibus Law" still in discussion , which is a Law that would affect some 74 other existing Laws . There are three things that are targeted by the Government, namely the Taxation Law, employment creation, and the empowerment of the micro, small and medium businesses .
    Last edited by marcus; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Marcus, being that I am currently residing here in the United States I am probably only picking up rumors. I would assume by your response that currently there is no fiskal tax being levied at the airports. Is that correct? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick1234 View Post
        ... I would assume by your response that currently there is no fiskal tax being levied at the airports. Is that correct? Thanks.

What I meant is that I didn't hear anything about that and I guess that probably it is not been charged nowadays .

- I did read Jakarta Post every day (except when I forget) , and I did not see any mention of that ,
        - people would comment about it in this Forum , if it happened ,
        - I just did a quick search in the internet and did not find any recent mention of that ,
        - the present idea of the Indonesian Government is to make it easier for foreign investors to come to Indonesia , and I think that imposing the old fiskal again would be incompatible with that idea (see a recent example of the Government's idea below) .

From https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...ostviewed&pg=/ (Nov 2019)
        [Indonesian Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati on Thursday shared the government's planned tax reforms, which includes relaxing income tax for Indonesian and foreign expatriates ...

The planned reforms would change the Indonesian tax regime into a territorial tax system, so foreign residents and overseas Indonesians would no longer be taxed on income earned outside the country's borders.

Foreigners who work in Indonesia for more than 183 days will be taxed on only the income they earn in Indonesia, while Indonesians who work abroad will be exempt from paying income tax in Indonesia.

"We will revise [the regulation] that expatriates need to pay tax on their incomes [earned both] in Indonesia and abroad," Sri Mulyani told ... ]
        Last edited by marcus; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Marcus, Thanks, good information, especially the information about income tax. Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X