Where is...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is...

...the best place in Jakarta to play pool and drink beer? And, where do the cool kids hang out on a Sat night?

(i'm not cool, i'm just wondering)

Contact Pimpin. Something tell me that he would tell you a lot about playing pool. Drinking beers may also be in his field of expertise.

Comment

Not sure if it is the "best" place to go or even cool...but the Stanford Arms in Kemang has a pool table and of course sell beer. The half dozen times I have been there, it has been a nice quiet place.

Guess it depends on what you consider to be "best" or "cool". Me...I like peace and quiet away from loads of stupid people.

Comment

Excellent! Thank you for your replies... Hopefully we will be landing in Jakarta in 4 weeks so I can find my watering hole bearings

(normally I'd play pool and drink wine, but i've found that Wine in jakarta was soooo expensive. Champagne tastes and all that...)

TheJester I do prefer quiet places, running around after 2 kids all day takes it out of me and I just want to chillout.. if I can peel myself of the couch that is...

Comment

Quiet places? Cool kids in quiet places in Jakarta? If you find it please post where.

Im not familiar with the Stanford Arms pool table. I was in there a couple of times but didn't notice one and Im a pool freak. What size is it? .5x1ft?

This is what I prefer; a place with 4.5x9 ft tables and blues music in the background playing above background music and below a decible one requires to shout at each other from across the room. So far as I know it doesn't exist here.

Do you want a table you and your others side of "we" and friends can have all to yourself for an hour or three? Are you ok with putting your name up on a board and waiting your turn? Winner holds table. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights are fairly busy at most places that have a decent table. The table is free in bars. Prices range for billiard halls from $2/hour in more low rent places, are poorly airconditioned and use less than great tables to halls that charge $8/hour in classy joints. They usually set their thermostats to antarctic temperatures, not to make us Northern clime natives more comfortable but to sell more drinks. Apparently the colder a place is the more people drink. Bring a light jacket or sweater at the most and longsleeve shirt at least. Pants are better but long dresses might work. Don't know cuz I don't wear them. For most halls bring earplugs and be ready to be assaulted by loud music.

Halls

The best are:

After Hours in Sarinah Mall (every taxi in the city knows Sarinah) Located at Thamrin and Wahid Hasim

Score in Town Square but often referred as Citos in Cilandak

Middle Cost decent tables and not so loud music:

Spin 4th or 6th floor in Pasar Raya across from Ambara Hotel where the Stanford Arms is.

Bars:

Aphrodite in Klub Rasuna behind Pasar Festival well before you get to Rasuna Apartments. There is a Golds Gym in there too.

Fez Kinari in Kemang on Jln Kemang, a few doors down from Pizza Hut, Kemang.

Comment

Nice! *tries to memorise for future reference*

I was in Jakarta briefly a few weeks ago... and the only bar I managed to get to was a jazz bar on the second floor of a mall filled with restaurants... do you know where I am talking about? Is that near any of the places listed above?

Sorry, my sense of direction is terrible. Hopefully you you won't spot me in a few weeks aimlessly wandering the streets of jakarta searching for a cold beer.

Comment

Links to a few sites about bars .. at the bottom of this article http://www.expat.or.id/info/nightife...ubsdiscos.html

wm
              Danielle Surkatty
              Member of the Organizing Committee
              Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
              http://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
              http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Pimpin View Post
                Quiet places? Cool kids in quiet places in Jakarta? If you find it please post where.

Im not familiar with the Stanford Arms pool table. I was in there a couple of times but didn't notice one and Im a pool freak. What size is it? .5x1ft?

This is what I prefer; a place with 4.5x9 ft tables and blues music in the background playing above background music and below a decible one requires to shout at each other from across the room. So far as I know it doesn't exist here.
                Well, next time you go there, you better open your eyes. It is located at the opposite end of the entrance, near the toilet/kitchen area. You have all the tables then a low partition which the table is behind. It is a fairly large table. It is also free, and I have never had to wait. My kids even have a go while we are waiting for the food. I recommend the cottage pie for a meal...delicious!

The only downside (like all of Indonesia) is they allow smoking inside. Not too bad when it is quiet though.

Comment

Originally posted by superjen View Post
                  Nice! *tries to memorise for future reference*

I was in Jakarta briefly a few weeks ago... and the only bar I managed to get to was a jazz bar on the second floor of a mall filled with restaurants... do you know where I am talking about? Is that near any of the places listed above?

Sorry, my sense of direction is terrible. Hopefully you you won't spot me in a few weeks aimlessly wandering the streets of jakarta searching for a cold beer.
                  That must be Plaza Arcadia behind Plaza Senayan...but it's not a mall. Just a tiny arcade.

Comment

oh. haha. It's a mall where I come from.. Actually, in NZ anything that has more than 4 shops next to each other is considered a thriving shopping metropolis... hmmm... I think i have some major adjustments in store, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X