Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

future expat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • future expat?

    Hello, my name is Ryan,
    I am an American student currently living in Florida. i joined this forum because i am extremely interested in Indonesian and islamic culture. I hope that in a few years when i graduate i can move to Indonesia to work, experience a different lifestyle. and possibly find a new place to call home. I am currently studying at a community college trying to get my associates in liberal arts..but i plan to transfer to a university for a bachelors degree possibly in engineering. i am also thinking about getting my TESOL certification immediately after graduation, or simultaneously... to open up teaching possibilities. I will likely have many questions and i hope that there are people willing to patiently answer them.
    Also,(and this may be irrelevant seeing as this is a forum for expats) I am learning bahasa Indonesia on my spare time, so if you know anyone who speaks natively that wouldn't mind chatting send them my way. i have been using skype and various other methods to communicate , and i would be more than happy to help someone who needs English practice.

  • #2
    Hi and welcome. Indonesia is a nice place. Start with a holiday or two around the place. I'm in Central Java and can tell you there is lots of interest here and the people are friendly and helpful. They are going mad for native English speakers at the moment so work would be easy to find.
    Islam here is (As a rule) pretty moderate and I like it that way. A few things go a bit over the top for me but, for the most part, it's a good way to live.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey youuu! welcome to the forum!
      ah florida? nice! i have a friend and he live there
      you can ask me for free indonesian language lesson
      sensi banget sih lo, nyantai dong. inget lo di negara siapa yaaaa

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ryanlogic View Post
        ..but i plan to transfer to a university for a bachelors degree possibly in engineering. i am also thinking about getting my TESOL certification immediately after graduation, or simultaneously... to open up teaching possibilities.

        sorry, but what's the point of that?

        why not do an education degree in mathematics or sciences?

        Comment


        • #5
          err.. i guess because he loves engine thingy?
          sensi banget sih lo, nyantai dong. inget lo di negara siapa yaaaa

          Comment


          • #6
            im seriously considering saving up some money this school year so i can go backpacking for a month in June or early august. i think my tax return should cover the price of a ticket....and i am trying to sell my motorcycle...if that sells and nothing disasterous happens in my life, i should be able to come for a vacation. it would be nice if i could persuade a friend to come along.

            Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
            sorry, but what's the point of that?

            why not do an education degree in mathematics or sciences?
            because i don't want to limit myself in the job market, im not sure how it is elsewhere but with an engineering degree and a few certifications(which can often be acquired after getting hired over the summers etc...) you can teach math or science in the US up to high school level. But with a teaching degree you can never be an engineer.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ryanlogic View Post
              because i don't want to limit myself in the job market, im not sure how it is elsewhere but with an engineering degree and a few certifications(which can often be acquired after getting hired over the summers etc...) you can teach math or science in the US up to high school level. But with a teaching degree you can never be an engineer.
              *clapclapclap* good luck tho
              sensi banget sih lo, nyantai dong. inget lo di negara siapa yaaaa

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ryanlogic View Post
                because i don't want to limit myself in the job market, im not sure how it is elsewhere but with an engineering degree and a few certifications(which can often be acquired after getting hired over the summers etc...) you can teach math or science in the US up to high school level. But with a teaching degree you can never be an engineer.
                plenty of engineers trying to get hired as teachers over here, doesnt always happen

                Comment


                • #9
                  welcome to the forum Ryan. Any reasons about what you cited "i am [COLOR=red]extremely[/COLOR] interested in Indonesian and islamic culture."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    well.. about islamic culture.. you see not only Indonesia who has major moslem populated here, Malaysian, Arab and some other countries has the same thing too..
                    so yeah, im with b_santoso

                    curious about your reason
                    sensi banget sih lo, nyantai dong. inget lo di negara siapa yaaaa

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ::sigh::

                      Originally posted by b_santoso View Post
                      welcome to the forum Ryan. Any reasons about what you cited "i am [COLOR=red]extremely[/COLOR] interested in Indonesian and islamic culture."
                      im not exactly sure what you imply by highlighting the word "extremely"
                      if you are somehow immediately suspicious or feel uncomfortable that someone may be interested in another culture or a particular religion....particularly Islam, i can only feel sorry for you.

                      Islam is indeed a peaceful and tolerant religion.

                      I am in fact a Muslim, i have been for a number of years. I Converted as a teenager. My Journey to Islam has been a long one, and to this day i struggle to overcome the social and geographical obstacles i am faced with living in a rural american community that knows next to nothing about my faith....to make matters worse, that which they do "know" is given to them in the form of "news" filtered by various corporate networks such as FOX.

                      I am personally interested in Indonesia for many reasons. Islam is indeed one one of them. clearly there are better places to study Islam and Arabic. but I am interested in finding a peaceful, interesting and stimulating place to call home. I hear some of you complain about the adhan being too loud and waking you up too early in the morning..and i do understand how that would be annoying for just about anyone, but I personally cant help but wish i could trade places with you. To me I would enjoy nothing more than being able to wake up and know that everyone around me was also waking up for the very same reason. it would be amazing to pray in public without having people question me or treat me like an alien. the level of hate, suspicion and ignorance in regards to Islamic culture and Muslims in general In my country is incredible. Things are progressively getting worse in my opinion .

                      I am not a violent or vengeful person. I hope for peace, and stability wherever I go.

                      I don't expect everyone on this forum to understand my motivations. But I suspect many of you will.

                      Religion aside, i am also captivated by the beauty of Asia. The Geography, the history, the culture. I would love to backpack though many different Asian countries and learn everything i can about the people living there.
                      I am interested in understanding the nuances between different populations and tribes. I hope to learn to communicate with these people and share what I can about where I am from and help people understand the people that I grew up with. I have no interest in staying safe in my little community scared of the world watching TV like so many of the people around me. I want to gain the skills and the confidence needed to be comfortable in a multitude of social situations.


                      sorry if this was too drawn out or uncalled for. Id really rather this not turn into a religious discussion. I am much more interested in learning all that i can about Indonesia...and it people.

                      and b_santoso i respect your concerns, and i hope that we can both learn from each other on this forum. if i misread your question..please forgive me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        unfortunate

                        Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
                        plenty of engineers trying to get hired as teachers over here, doesnt always happen
                        this is disheartening to hear...but hopefully I can figure something out...

                        Comment


                        • #13


                          You can add my YM at strangers_fillers3 for chit-chat, bro,

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            First to backpacking. I would suggest a start in Bali and wandering all the way up Java in steps as far as you can get. That should show you some wonderful nature and a mix of cultures as well. A month should about do it.

                            To Islam. Good place to study. Lots of good schools here that speak English.
                            Try to get a job in one of the international Muslims schools as a native speaker. The salary may not be that great but you get a year of paid study while helping others. That has to be good news.

                            A note. Some of the Islamic schools have a reputation for being a bit radical.
                            I'm sure it's a deserved reputation in a few cases. I've met a couple of real nut jobs while I've been here but the vast majority have been good people.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ryanlogic View Post
                              im not exactly sure what you imply by highlighting the word "extremely"
                              if you are somehow immediately suspicious or feel uncomfortable that someone may be interested in another culture or a particular religion....particularly Islam, i can only feel sorry for you.

                              Islam is indeed a peaceful and tolerant religion.

                              I am in fact a Muslim, i have been for a number of years. I Converted as a teenager. My Journey to Islam has been a long one, and to this day i struggle to overcome the social and geographical obstacles i am faced with living in a rural american community that knows next to nothing about my faith....to make matters worse, that which they do "know" is given to them in the form of "news" filtered by various corporate networks such as FOX.

                              I am personally interested in Indonesia for many reasons. Islam is indeed one one of them. clearly there are better places to study Islam and Arabic. but I am interested in finding a peaceful, interesting and stimulating place to call home. I hear some of you complain about the adhan being too loud and waking you up too early in the morning..and i do understand how that would be annoying for just about anyone, but I personally cant help but wish i could trade places with you. To me I would enjoy nothing more than being able to wake up and know that everyone around me was also waking up for the very same reason. it would be amazing to pray in public without having people question me or treat me like an alien. the level of hate, suspicion and ignorance in regards to Islamic culture and Muslims in general In my country is incredible. Things are progressively getting worse in my opinion .

                              I am not a violent or vengeful person. I hope for peace, and stability wherever I go.

                              I don't expect everyone on this forum to understand my motivations. But I suspect many of you will.

                              Religion aside, i am also captivated by the beauty of Asia. The Geography, the history, the culture. I would love to backpack though many different Asian countries and learn everything i can about the people living there.
                              I am interested in understanding the nuances between different populations and tribes. I hope to learn to communicate with these people and share what I can about where I am from and help people understand the people that I grew up with. I have no interest in staying safe in my little community scared of the world watching TV like so many of the people around me. I want to gain the skills and the confidence needed to be comfortable in a multitude of social situations.


                              sorry if this was too drawn out or uncalled for. Id really rather this not turn into a religious discussion. I am much more interested in learning all that i can about Indonesia...and it people.

                              and b_santoso i respect your concerns, and i hope that we can both learn from each other on this forum. if i misread your question..please forgive me
                              Thanks for sharing this thoughts and to be personal. This is certainly one of the post I had the more pleasure to read for some time.
                              I believe that b_santoso's question was just interest/simple curiosity. Nothing more. But I guess he/she will answer better than me.
                              No worries, this channel is for new users to introduce themselves freely. Therefore I will keep an eye, as per your request, that it doesn't turn into a religious discussion.
                              Once again, thank you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X