New guy moving to indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy moving to indonesia

Hello everyone. my name is walter, im mary to a butifull indonesian lady and we are planingg to move to surabaya in the next couple of months.
    We own a business that can be managed from anywhere as long as we have high speed internet. my concerns are the cost of living there, wich am sure is way low than the US, but how much?. how much do i need to live confortable?. My other concern is that i will ned to hire people upon my arrival in indonesia. im not worry about the legal side of it because my wife is indonesian but im more concerned about hiring qualified people. this people have to speak english "very well" and have computer skills. can sonone give me some thoughs about this and how much can i expect to pay for a well qualified employee.
    thank you all

Walter

Originally posted by jwalher1 View Post
    Hello everyone. my name is walter, im mary to a butifull indonesian lady and we are planingg to move to surabaya in the next couple of months.
    We own a business that can be managed from anywhere as long as we have high speed internet. my concerns are the cost of living there, wich am sure is way low than the US, but how much?. how much do i need to live confortable?. My other concern is that i will ned to hire people upon my arrival in indonesia. im not worry about the legal side of it because my wife is indonesian but im more concerned about hiring qualified people. this people have to speak english "very well" and have computer skills. can sonone give me some thoughs about this and how much can i expect to pay for a well qualified employee.
    thank you all

Walter
    Welcome Walter,
    Apart from some Cable services in Jakarta {I'm not sure about Surabya,} and depending upon how you define it, Indonesia does not have high speed internet access!

'how much do i need to live confortable?'...it just depends on how you define comfortable...ask BA in Jkt :}...usually not much at all especialy relative to costs in the US.

'hiring qualified people. this people have to speak english "very well" and have computer skills.'

hmmmmmm...if I post what I'm thinking I would probably get death threats from Spice again :}..good luck with that one..

I could use some work, I have computer skills, and also have access to a great ISP called Telkomnet, 'Speed you can trust'.. I speak English, Scottish, Australian, some Bahasa Indonesia, and a few words in bahasa Jawa, i'm also pretty good at using bad language if you needed it ... Please PM me here if you are interested ;}
    IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

How much does it cost to live in Indonesia comfortably? That is a really really hard question to answer mainly because I do not know you, your preferences and your lif style. All I can really say it is up to you, You can live in Indonesia for as much or as little as you want, you have a choice here that runs from very very cheap to very very expensive. It is up to you.

Comment

Seems J is running an out-sourcing service whereas operators will be answering phones and such for an International company. Just a guess but it fits the bill above.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Adder View Post
          Seems J is running an out-sourcing service whereas operators will be answering phones and such for an International company. Just a guess but it fits the bill above.
          well if that's the case he might be stuffed if he needs true high speed internet access....
          Shit, I have enough trouble trying to understand the Orang India when i call Mastercard or Singapore Airlines ;{
          IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. as far as as the internet, for what im being told FASNET will do just fine. On the other hand, i'd like to stay on a buget of $ 2000.00 USD. how can i live with that?
            thanks again. ill keep u posted maybe we can work something out. i work in transportation. u can even work from home... i made that point about speeking good english because people will call a local us number and there is some customer service involved.

Comment

Fastnet is good in Jakarta, I talk on Skype a few times a week to France, the US, the UK and Singapore with no problem 95% of the time. But if you don't have fastnet in Surabaya forget it. And be aware the internet connection with Fastnet goes down here with me at least once a day for between 5 minutes to 30 minutes. As well when the electricity goes down where the Fastnet junction box is in our neighborhood again the connection usually goes down for an hour or so even though the electricity has come back up.

This place is not the ideal place to setup an outsourcing of customer services over the net/VOIP.

Comment

2,000 USD is doable but some owners want housing to be paid for in advance for the entire length of the contract so again it will depend on if you are buying a house outright and whether your housing budget is included in the 2000 USD a month? If not then you should be fine unless you have some expensive vices.

Comment

thank you Black Adder.
                  We already have a house in surabaya. if it wasnt the case i would go to jakarta instead. can you give me an idea how expensive profecional labor is in indonesia. I need people who speeak english. i willing to provide training.
                  thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jwalher1 View Post
                    thank you Black Adder.
                    We already have a house in surabaya. if it wasnt the case i would go to jakarta instead. can you give me an idea how expensive profecional labor is in indonesia. I need people who speeak english. i willing to provide training.
                    thank you

No idea, would not want to give you the wrong info, I would suspect between 3 million to 5 million but that is roughly Jakarta prices. Try and hire recruits right out of English school and even go to one or 2 teachers in schools and give cigarette money to give you a heads up/handphone number for their best students. I would think you could hire them quite cheap but hey I only interact with professionals and I don't have to hire staff except our house staff.

Comment

I was thinking of writing that the Philippines might be a better place for an outsourcing business, but my Indonesian teacher speaks very good American English, so I am sure you can find some good staff here.

Salaries seem to be pretty low here and living costs are also very cheap. I think possibly the cheapest in Asia. Internet though is also the worst I have experienced in Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by inmedan View Post
                        I was thinking of writing that the Philippines might be a better place for an outsourcing business, but my Indonesian teacher speaks very good American English, so I am sure you can find some good staff here.

Salaries seem to be pretty low here and living costs are also very cheap. I think possibly the cheapest in Asia. Internet though is also the worst I have experienced in Asia.

thank you.. i will keep that in mind...
                        How about vonage? has anybody tried it?

Comment

Fastnet is good in Jakarta, I talk on Skype a few times a week to France, the US, the UK and Singapore with no problem 95% of the time. But if you don't have fastnet in Surabaya forget it. And be aware the internet connection with Fastnet goes down here with me at least once a day for between 5 minutes to 30 minutes. As well when the electricity goes down where the Fastnet junction box is in our neighborhood again the connection usually goes down for an hour or so even though the electricity has come back up.

This place is not the ideal place to setup an outsourcing of customer services over the net/VOIP.
                          Hey, it's almost, a free country, let him set up what he wants don't discourage him plssssssssssss ....
                          I would enjoy 'talking' to some nice 'ayams' on the telephone, give me something to do here in Solo..C'mon Mauricio are you in?...

{Have to pinch some of your line again BA}

Just don't let she who must be obeyed know, ok :}

BTW...

TERMS :
                          ' * FastNet is offered only to subscribers whose home is covered by PT First Media Tbk broadband network.'

Bloody typical :{ what a bloddy Jakartacentric country this is....

Comment

2,000 USD is doable but some owners want housing to be paid for in advance for the entire length of the contract so again it will depend on if you are buying a house outright and whether your housing budget is included in the 2000 USD a month? If not then you should be fine unless you have some expensive vices.
                            Cough!!! $2000.00, .. A MONTH????? You mean, every month 7 days a week times 4 ??? ...why that's, wait I need my calculator...
                            $24,000 A YEAR!.. in Indonesia? ...are we talking about the same country ... :}

Comment

'my Indonesian teacher speaks very good American English, so I am sure you can find some good staff here.'

Why is it that most people I hear speaking with good English ...are always speaking English..with an American accent, what's that all about?

Comment

Working...
                              X