Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I move to Bali with salary around 5,5 million rupiah ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I move to Bali with salary around 5,5 million rupiah ?

Hello,

May I ask advice about moving to Bali ?
    Well I was offered a job in Bali, because I passed the graphic test, for a hi fashion brand in resort. It's in Bali. And the working days become from monday - saturday. Even saturday is only half day. And I heard it will be in Kuta, Seminyak. Which in my mind its like moving to Kemang if in Jakarta.
    I feel afraid to move there because of many obstacles like :
    It could be most food, living place price are adjusted to expat pocket.
    I heard also that the place is expensive and lack of transportation. I dont have any driving license. For this long time I always love to get a ride on public transportation minibus or buses. I dont like driving.

Should I move to Bali ? If only the living costs there wont increase too much from living costs in Bandung.... And if only the working days stay the same as here, from Monday - Friday. Everything is perfect then. But now I face these obstacles.

I feel that Bali is adjusted very much to expat pockets. And I fear little is well adjusted to local.

And the company feels my salary is already too high for them. I feel shocked. Its not too high if in Jakarta. And the living costs in Bali are even higher than in Jakarta.

lifestyle I have already here in Bandung :
    Living in kost with no kitchen, around 475rupiah a month. And I dont even need a fan or AC because its cool here. What is often I often catch cold cause of the air condiiton lol. And food, kinda easy to find. I can find many various foods. And it makes me eat seafood often because they are so cheap here. Like around 55.000 rupiah for two small crabs with rice already. And I got a small lunch from office. I can eat two or three times in an AW restaurant nears here. Or I can just spend around 100.000 rupiah every week if I dont wanna to be too much spending.

Transportation : I walk fast and often so I have my feet so muscled and toned. Because I'm used to walk. Always love to take on public transportation, because it makes me realize and care more. And I have more common sense when I stay live as simple as I can.

Problem is, I'm ambitious and I don't believe that Indonesians don't like to be fashionable. I always believe that creating something unique but wearable for people is acceptable. I can't stand to always play safe. But DAMN. If the Bali offer is not a right choice, I probably will stay here and gather more portfolios.

Additional :
    As consideration may I have these kind of infos ? I don't get the complete info like these from people with budget same or below me to find accomodations there :
    I would like to get more info about cheap, clean and nice kost nears Jl. Nakula Barat non AC. And also some cheap warung makan under 15.000 rupiah nears there. Maybe if I can get complete kost with budget 1juta rupiah is OK too. I hope the kost will near every shops like supermarket, ATM BCA, beach, office by walk.
    Last edited by Angela Powiro; 13-10-14, 19:09.

Not sure what kind of lifestyle you're looking for in Bali and/or what kind of lifestyle you already have in Bandung...but culinary-wise, I think Bandung has quite a lot to offer. The city also feels cool at night. IMO 5,5jt/mth might be stretching pretty thin, especially if you have to cover accommodation cost..

Can you stay out of temptation to hang out all the time especially in Kuta? That might be where most of your money go....

Comment

That sounds like a bad deal, they don't even provide a place to live in.
      Lost in Jakarta's trafic jam

Comment

5.5 mio is relatively small IMO but it should be ok.
        living cost and food might be less than jakarta or bandung, and as long as you dont party all the time, there's some to save. BUT... electronic stuff have the same price. like tv, cellphone, computer... so if you get 10 mio salary at the moment, a 6 mio laptop doesnt sound too expensive.. , but for a 5.5 mio , 6 mio laptop is too high. it's all relative.

yes bali still has the 'working on saturday' style- that is one of the negative point that made me turn down a job offer there.
        dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

If it is in Kuta/Seminyak then there may be some problems you have to consider:

1) Bali has no real public transport. Big Negative if you don't want to drive/ride your own vehicle.
          2) Kuta/Seminyak prices are obviously on the high side, even for local stuff (as is Bali in general when compared to major cities in Jawa).
          3) A kos-kosan in that area will run you at least 1 mil for something with an AC. Much more if you want a bit of quality.

Comment

Where do you think the Indonesians who work at the shops eat lunch? I see many of them bring their own in a toples. Banana gave good advice about avoiding the temptation to "show off modern Indonesian Balinese lifestyle" -- drink expensive coffee at Starbucks, etc.

It sounds like this could be a great career move for you. It also sounds like you are concerned that the beach is hotter than the hills -- if you really like the beach, or ever thought you wanted to try ocean sports, then it would be a plus not a minus.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
              5.5 mio is relatively small IMO but it should be ok.
              living cost and food might be less than jakarta or bandung, and as long as you dont party all the time, there's some to save. BUT... electronic stuff have the same price. like tv, cellphone, computer... so if you get 10 mio salary at the moment, a 6 mio laptop doesnt sound too expensive.. , but for a 5.5 mio , 6 mio laptop is too high. it's all relative.

yes bali still has the 'working on saturday' style- that is one of the negative point that made me turn down a job offer there.
              so im normal cause im not the only one feel it

Comment

Angela, calculate all the expenses you need to spend every month now, and how much you can save. Do the same with Bali’s offer, surely in a closest prediction as you haven't done that. Add some extra for mscl, and unexpected expenses, like air lines tickets if you need to go back home in Java, etc. If the number is not so much and probably even more than your income, don't take it. Keep looking for better offer. Probably the uncertainty that Bali has to offer doesnt worth your moving.

But if it were me, and if I were single and ambitious looking for something new and challenging, I’d take it, its in Bali for god sake ! Wont be easy at first for sure, and you got to be prepared for this, but a good chance sometimes doesn't come twice.

Good luck .
                Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Angela - you ever been to Bali ??

Whoever told you all that is talking rubbish- Bali is great 5.5 is more than enough for a single girl in a Kos.
                  Absolutely nothing like Kemang - however for transport you would have to rent a motor scooter if you wanted to really reap the benefit of Bali and get out of the KLS rat race. There are plenty of warungs available and the prices are comparable to Bandung and Jakarta and if you know where to look there are plenty of cheap western places to have a good load up to. Opportunities like this don't come along every day of the week so I would grab it with both hands - what's the worse that could happen ?? You hate it and go back to Bandung which I doubt you will do as there are so many orang Sunda in Bali I am sure you will quickly make friends and fall in love with the island.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                    Angela - you ever been to Bali ??

Whoever told you all that is talking rubbish- Bali is great 5.5 is more than enough for a single girl in a Kos.
                    Absolutely nothing like Kemang - however for transport you would have to rent a motor scooter if you wanted to really reap the benefit of Bali and get out of the KLS rat race. There are plenty of warungs available and the prices are comparable to Bandung and Jakarta and if you know where to look there are plenty of cheap western places to have a good load up to. Opportunities like this don't come along every day of the week so I would grab it with both hands - what's the worse that could happen ?? You hate it and go back to Bandung which I doubt you will do as there are so many orang Sunda in Bali I am sure you will quickly make friends and fall in love with the island.
                    I live long before in Jakarta my parents home is not in Bandung, but Jakarta. No I never stay so long in Bali yet I admit. But I ever visited it one time when I was just graduated from college with my parents. Maybe bcoz I use google searching. U know, I searched all the time and saw the local food price in warung makan nears Seminyak. maybe that's why I'm scared to see the price even in rumah makan that seems belong to local but the price is international.

If I work near Jln Nakula Barat, will there be a lot of warteg near there ? Please info the Kost also. Maybe this can be a pretty good consideration for me cause I dont get info directly from people with budget same or below me. I only get it from internet.
                    Last edited by Angela Powiro; 13-10-14, 19:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Powiro View Post
                      Hello,

... moving to Bali ?
                      In a word, No.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                        In a word, No.
                        maybe could you explain in longer words pardon me ?

Comment

I live long before in Jakarta my parents home is not in Bandung, but Jakarta. No I never stay so long in Bali yet I admit. But I ever visited it one time when I was just graduated from college with my parents. Maybe bcoz I use google searching. U know, I searched all the time and saw the local food price in warung makan nears Seminyak. maybe that's why I'm scared to see the price even in rumah makan that seems belong to local but the price is international.

If I work near Jln Nakula Barat, will there be a lot of warteg near there ? Please info the Kost also. Maybe this can be a pretty good consideration for me cause I dont get info directly from people with budget same or below me. I only get it from internet.
                          JL Nakula is well out of the tourist area (off Jl Imam Bonjol) I don't know about Kos but if you have a bike you can travel further. I am sure there are plenty of Kos around that area, and I know there are lots of cheap restaurants and warungs.

Comment

maybe could you explain ...
                            [COLOR=#333333]Kuta, Seminyak on 5.5 juta/bulan is survival mode.[/COLOR]

Comment

So in summary :
                              - Kost non AC already ranged from 750.000 - 1 mio (excl electricity)
                              - Motorbike rent 500.000 -700.000 a month

I've done walking and i realize motorbike is really helpful here although the traffic is daring.

Many warung here in Bali and with 5.5 you could eat at good place (if you are in the mood to spend) once or twice a month.

Just don't get the idea by living in Bali you could always party, party, party all the time. All the money in the world won't be enough for this. Find some friends, make a home session (beer is beer no matter where you buy and drink it)

You can make it with 5.5 if you are not into serial party goers, 24/7 mall resident, or other possible extravagant life style that could drain your piggy bank in a blink.
                              Dancing along the bumpy road of life. And it feels damn good!

Comment

Working...
                              X