Indonesian law on mixed marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesian law on mixed marriage

Hi all. I came across an interesting article the other day and was wondering...

What does the Indonesian law say about an expat marrying an Indonesian citizen and staying in the country while still married to his/her first husband/wife in his/her own country?
    Attitude determines Altitude dudes ...

not allowed

Comment

Originally posted by Chrunchie View Post
      Hi all. I came across an interesting article the other day and was wondering...

What does the Indonesian law say about an expat marrying an Indonesian citizen and staying in the country while still married to his/her first husband/wife in his/her own country?
      Got a story to tell?

Only the first marriage is "legal". Any other marriages would only be on a non-legal basis.
      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Lol. I thought so....

how would one handle this from an outside country?

Comment

JamieC.... what do you mean by a non-legal basis?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrunchie View Post
            JamieC.... what do you mean by a non-legal basis?
            Something like nikah siri I guess..
            [FONT=times new roman]Follow your heart, but take your brain with you.[/FONT]

Comment

Chrunchie: as implied by other posts, you'd have to tell us whether the Indonesian marriage has a Catatan Sipil certificate, which means it is recognized by the civil government. You can only do this for ONE spouse, anywhere in the world. Those who "religiously" have more than one wife cannot get a Catatan Sipil cert for the "extras" -- must be religious marriage only, recorded by KUA.

Comment

When I got married to an Indonesian, I had to get a sworn certificate from my government that I was free and clear to marry, i.e. was single.At a guess, I would say that Indonesian law would say that the expat was a bigamist, and also guilty of perjury. If the Indonesian wedding was a nikah siri, then it wasn't a legal wedding anyway, so the above doesn't apply. I had something similar with an expat employee/ colleague. He claimed for health insurance/ benefits for his Indonesian "wife", we refused on basis that it wasn't a legal marriage. He wasn't yet divorced in his home country, and so couldn't marry legally.

Comment

Thank you for all the comments.

To be honest, I have no idea if this is a case of nikah siri. All I can say is that this person is refusing to get divorced from first partner outside of Indonesia.

Also, we have no contact with this person as all communication was cut with family in home country. Makes it very hard to know which channels to follow.

Comment

Working...
                  X