Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning Bali

Hello.
    I am planning a longer trip to Bali (6 m to a year) and thought maybe it's good idea to learn some before I go.
    Any recommendations are welcome.
    Thank you

Hi Harry08 and welcome to the forum.
    I presume you mean you wish to learn the Bali language before you arrive.
    Let me just say that only the Balinese speak to each other in Balinese...all Indonesians, including Balinese, speak Bahasa Indonesia which is the language of Indonesia. I suggest you try to learn the Indonesian language, rather than Balinese, as it will bode you well in all of Indonesia...and I believe it is easier to learn.
    My wife is an Indonesian, and we live in Bali, and she doesn't understand Balinese but talks to our Balinese staff all the time.

Comment

Good point Davita. I was thinking about learning Indonesian but then thought maybe Balinese is more "fun" and perhaps more useful in Bali.
      I was there not too long ago and practically everyone I met were either from East Java, Bali or some other island as far as East Nusa Tenggara.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry08 View Post
        Good point Davita. I was thinking about learning Indonesian but then thought maybe Balinese is more "fun" and perhaps more useful in Bali.
        I was there not too long ago and practically everyone I met were either from East Java, Bali or some other island as far as East Nusa Tenggara.
        You're lucky Harry...I've lived here in Bali for 5 years and nearly everyone I've met comes from Australia, New Zealand, Manchester or Scotland. Understanding 'Strine, Mancunian and what I can only presume to be Gaelic, and I was born in Scotland, has been a lot harder than Bahasa Indonesia...

Comment

Working...
        X