• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help with this

Hi there

I am learning Bahasa Indonesia on babble and need to ask a few questions

If i want to say i am from NZ then i say

saya dari NZ

but why sometimes on babbel does it put in the word berasal? like in Google translate it says:
    saya berasal dari nz, = as i come from nz

thanks
    Mick

Berasal means "coming from" in the sense of "originate from" ... the "saya dari NZ" is a shortened version of the more formal statement. It would be understood in context that if you're a foreigner and talking to an Indonesian and say "Saya dari NZ", they'd understand to mean you are referring to your country of citizenship / origin.

But if someone asked you "Dari mana?", they'd be asking where you had just been. You could answer "Saya dari supermarket" ... but NOT Saya berasal dari supermarket (wouldn't make sense) ..

Does that help at all ??
    Danielle Surkatty
    Member of the Organizing Committee
    Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
    http://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/
    [email protected]

Comment

yes it does, thanks heaps!

Comment

the difference between seribu and ribu?

Comment

seribu (se ribu) = one thousand; ribu = thousand
          Can be used like dua ribu, tiga ribu, seratus ribu, ... etc which means two thousand, three thousand, One hundred thousand,... etc.
          In english, we dont say two thousand as two one thousands, same we cannot use dua seribu in bahasa but use dua ribu.

Comment

thanks that makes sense

Comment

with the following:

jeruk ini harganya berapa = how much are these oranges

but this reads: orange this price how much

why is it put this way?,

if i was to say: berapa harganya jeruk, would indonesians understand what i meant? or would they correct me?

terima kasih!

Comment

hi! if you say berapa harganya jeruk, most people will correct you because that is not common to say that if you want to ask the price of something. if you want to translate English to Bahasa Indonesia, you can translate it words by words, but then you will have some difficulties to arrange the words into the correct, common sentence. because, English and Bahasa have difference structure in a sentence. such as : kamu tinggal dimana? in English you will say, where do you live?. if you translate it words by words to Bahasa, it will become : dimana kamu tinggal? this sentence is correct but, it is not common in some area, but also it is common in another area.

i am sorry if my comment is kinda confusing, but i hope you understand what i mean

Comment

Hi, if u say : berapa harga jeruk ini? (how much price this orange) they also understand. Or maybe u can just say: berapa harganya (how much?) with hold the things u want to ask if u want

Comment

thanks, great feedback!

Comment

ini / itu

this is confusing, one of the differences babble used was this:

1, ini lobi hotel: that is the lobby hotel

2, kamar itu tidak bersih: that room isnt clean

I cant see how to understand which one to use and when?

Comment

why would you have :berjalan - walk and kaki - leg, in the same sentence?

ie: dari sini anda bisa kaki ke kiri dan nanti di......

Comment

ini = this/these (for something near you)
                          itu = that/those (only something just appointed)

ini lobi hotel : this is the lobby hotel (if you are in)
                          itu lobi hotel : that is the lobby hotel (if you are out)

ini pensil : this is the pencil (while you hold the pencil)
                          itu pencil : that is the pencil (if you can't reach the pencil and you can only appoint)

Hopefully you could understand as I'm not a Indonesian teacher haha

Comment

ie: dari sini anda bisa kaki ke kiri dan nanti di......

I would never say "kaki ke kiri" that doesn't make sense .. instead ... dari sini anda bisa jalan kaki (walk) ke kiri dan nanti ...

Jalan kaki or berjalan is the verb

Jalan by itself means street/road.
                            Danielle Surkatty
                            Member of the Organizing Committee
                            Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                            http://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                            http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/
                            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X