2 Big Mistakes of Foreign about Indonesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Big Mistakes of Foreign about Indonesia

GUIDED BY LOCAL , I am not a teacher for foreign people . Just in my daily sometimes i meet with foreign peoplethen i found some mistakes of them :

1st Mistake

As we can see many foreign people call our language with " BAHASA". Its also listed everywhere in some website. But the truth IT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG . Our language name is not BAHASA, because bahasa is mean LANGUAGE if translate in ENGLISH. The right name our language is Indonesia or Indonesian. We never say Bahasa between local people.We always say Bahasa Indonesia as bahasa mean "language" NOT THE PART OF OUR LANGUAGE NAME.

2nd Mistake
    Our Currency is Rupiah, some foreign people call Rupee to make easier to speak, ITS WRONG ( we never say Rupee between local people )
    rupee is the source hindi language , but we never use that
    You can hear the right speaking here http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rupiah?s=t

Image: viva.co.id

You are right about the first mistake (bahasa) . I also heard it many times . But I never heard the second mistake .

Comment

I've heard Indonesians refer to their language numerous times over the years as "dalam bahasa" .. and the inference is Bahasa Indonesia - people can usually tell from the context of the conversation, but you're absolutely right -- the correct reference would be the complete Bahasa Indonesia!

I've never heard the second either .. it may be more likely to be made by persons who come from a country where the "rupee" is the currency - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupee

Etymology - rupee - The Hindi word rūpaya is derived from the Sanskrit word rūpya, which means "wrought silver, a coin of silver
      Danielle Surkatty
      Member of the Organizing Committee
      Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
      http://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
      Webmaster
      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/

Comment

THANK YOU for the reaponses, if you want to know something about indonesia and answered by local, can reply this message

Comment

3rd. MISTAKE. I ever heard foreign people said SAMERANG city name, no thats should be said SEMARANG

Comment

So the 3rd is a pronunciation mistake??
            Danielle Surkatty

Webmaster

Comment

yes WM , thats just pronun mistake i think.

Comment

Yeah I have heard those too.. I thought Bahasa was commonly referring to Malaysian language? It is still not Indonesian language though.
                And the currency is definitely wrong even if the intention was to short the syllable from Ru-pi-ah to Ru-pee.

Comment

I have heard many Indonesians refer to it as Bahasa. Next time I will point out their mistake to them. 2 Big Mistakes of Indonesia about Foreign

1. Indonesians trying to speak English say Ake instead of Eight. Note: the letter T is not the letter K.

2. Indonesians trying to speak English say Luns instead of Lunch. Note: CH is not pronounced as an S

Comment

Seriously?! Just about every Indonesian I've ever met has asked me if I "speak Bahasa" so you might want to start correcting locals first as I'm guessing the only reason foreigners refer to Indonesian as 'Bahasa' is because you all do. And 'rupees'??? I've never never never never never heard anyone say that - are you just making this up? Likewise, 'Samarang'? Who exactly have you been listening to?
                    And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by RaphaelP View Post
                      I have heard many Indonesians refer to it as Bahasa. Next time I will point out their mistake to them. 2 Big Mistakes of Indonesia about Foreign

1. Indonesians trying to speak English say Ake instead of Eight. Note: the letter T is not the letter K.
                      Not to mention 'sik' for six. Sik and ake, they sound like they're going to the hospital. Nevertheless, let's not stoop to the OP's level of inane pettiness...
                      And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

Definitely one of the "joys" of living/traveling abroad is the funny things people say and how they say them. I chuckle at bloopers

I, on the other hand, was fortunate in learning my Bahasa Indonesia (peppered with Javanese) in Yogya when I was A young ADULT and have been told that my pronunciation is really good! However, I tend to speak more like Indonesians speak, having never taken a formal course, so Indonesian grammar isn't always perfect ... but then I speak like Indonesians speak!
                        Danielle Surkatty

Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by RaphaelP View Post

2. Indonesians trying to speak English say Luns instead of Lunch. Note: CH is not pronounced as an S
                          Hi Raphael, Sorry this is about how to call Indonesian Language in daily activities , not how Indonesian speak English language. If you talk about that may be you also will make corections other foreign people who speak english. Many nation speak English with different dialex. So if you do that you will make million corrections. Iam sorry i juast want to explain with my daily activitis in order foreign know how local do it. Why did you so emotional ?

Comment

Originally posted by tudor View Post
                            seriously?! Just about every indonesian i've ever met has asked me if i "speak bahasa" so you might want to start correcting locals first as i'm guessing the only reason foreigners refer to indonesian as 'bahasa' is because you all do. And 'rupees'??? I've never never never never never heard anyone say that - are you just making this up? Likewise, 'samarang'? Who exactly have you been listening to?
                            we never call our language bahasa, no one local people call our language bahasa, our language is named Indonesia < Not Bahasa Indonesia >. Bahasa is mean Language as the correct Translation in English

Sentences Bahasa Indonesia is similar with English Language, Dutch Languge , German Language, Japan Language etc..

Comment

Originally posted by wm View Post
                              Definitely one of the "joys" of living/traveling abroad is the funny things people say and how they say them. I chuckle at bloopers

I, on the other hand, was fortunate in learning my Bahasa Indonesia (peppered with Javanese) in Yogya when I was A young ADULT and have been told that my pronunciation is really good! However, I tend to speak more like Indonesians speak, having never taken a formal course, so Indonesian grammar isn't always perfect ... but then I speak like Indonesians speak!
                              congratulation !

Comment

Working...
                              X