Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Bahas Indonesia Films?l

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good Bahas Indonesia Films?l

    I'm looking for some good films in BI to help me with my vocabulary.

    Ideally the films would not be full of slang (as it will change next week and I will sound an idiot trying to use it) and would have a fairly common accent (live in Bdg, so that means Jawa or Sunda).

    Also, would be great if the films were "durable", something I wouldn't hate watching twice. Basically, some made-for-tv thing about a pocong who likes to smell panties is not going to help me, as I'll never watch it twice. Also, I don't remember The Raid having any dialogue... Guess it'll have to be drama or not-too-slapstick comedy, if I'm to learn anything useful.

    I know I'm being picky, but I really would appreciate any recommendations.
    Last edited by Happyman; 19-12-15, 01:43. Reason: Didn't seem to say what I meant it to.

  • #2
    Quite many. But the comedies are almost always slapsticks with a high level of Benny Hill content. Not my cup of tea.

    Soegija is not bad as a more 'historical drama'. And a bit of a tearjerker is Surat kecil untuk tuhan.
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

    Comment


    • #3
      I actually enjoyed berbagi suami. However that said 90% of Indonesian films are an insult to intelligence.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ah, talking about historic dramas, there are three (for Indonesian standards very expensive and epic) movies about the struggle for independence. In fact it's something like a trilogy made in 2009-2011. Of course it's all from a local view and the stories are not that great, but they are definitely entertaining.

        The movies are Merah Putih, Darah Garuda and Hati Merdeka.

        This is the second one on Youtube:

        Last edited by jstar; 19-12-15, 19:03. Reason: I thought Soegija was somewhat better, at least they took real Dutch actors for the Londo soldiers
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd say..many movies with Christine Hakim would be decent to watch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Arisan and Laskar pelangi are good.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks, I'll look those up. Seen the Merdeka series and Laskar Pelangi, I did like them. I've seen a few comedies I liked, too. Reason I was avoiding them was that I thought I would try something my wife said worked for her. She used to watch episodes of House 3 times, once without subtitles, once with subtitles, then once again without. She said it helped her English a lot. If you have watched the show, you'll know that all of the characters speak in an educated fashion, sentences with clauses and stuff...

              For a while now I have felt like my Indonesian "persona" is that of a cat. I am able to communicate all those things that a cat might need or want, or think of. You know, "I want x", "Here is a simple way to get X", "I like X because it tastes like chicken", etc. What I'm kind of hoping is that I can become more familiar with the conjugated forms of words, so I can stop saying everything with "di" or "in", and to improve my vocabulary, so I can be a bit more subtle/specific.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                Thanks, I'll look those up. Seen the Merdeka series and Laskar Pelangi, I did like them. I've seen a few comedies I liked, too. Reason I was avoiding them was that I thought I would try something my wife said worked for her. She used to watch episodes of House 3 times, once without subtitles, once with subtitles, then once again without. She said it helped her English a lot. If you have watched the show, you'll know that all of the characters speak in an educated fashion, sentences with clauses and stuff...

                For a while now I have felt like my Indonesian "persona" is that of a cat. I am able to communicate all those things that a cat might need or want, or think of. You know, "I want x", "Here is a simple way to get X", "I like X because it tastes like chicken", etc. What I'm kind of hoping is that I can become more familiar with the conjugated forms of words, so I can stop saying everything with "di" or "in", and to improve my vocabulary, so I can be a bit more subtle/specific.
                Hard to beat Andy Noya on metro TV for clear correct spoken language. The show is repeated twice weekly I think. His guests may not speak so well however.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ^I was always hot for Metro TV’s Mata Najwa, Fifi Aleyda and even traffic reporter Polwan Briptu Eka . Come to think of it most TV news anchors/presenters have good command of BI: dead-on pronunciation, diction, tone, storytelling skill and interviewing finesse.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Any good dramas in Bahasa Indonesia?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jstar View Post
                      Quite many. But the comedies are almost always slapsticks with a high level of Benny Hill content. Not my cup of tea.

                      Soegija is not bad as a more 'historical drama'. And a bit of a tearjerker is Surat kecil untuk tuhan.
                      yeah comedy has gone downhill since the 80's ... can you understand this joke?

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQeYXUlPNP4
                      Spider pig spider pig, does whatever a spider pig can

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What's that blokey TV show on late at night on Trans7 - I think it is on Wednesdays at about 12 midnight -ish, after that very , very Lame drama about a poncy rich guy and a woman... (I only know of it because they filmed my hubby & his mates for the Rolling Stones edition a few weeks back).
                        (& before you ask- he was cutting room floor & his mate got the limelight haha)

                        I know it will be hard to sit & watch it over again as its not a dvd/movie thingy but it might interest you- they talk music, cars , bikes and such & even I understand some of what they are saying.
                        Cicak Magnet

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lelaki Punya Mau.
                          [FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yingyang View Post
                            yeah comedy has gone downhill since the 80's ... can you understand this joke?

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQeYXUlPNP4
                            Were a few bits I missed.. Thing is it is actually interesting enough that I could watch it again. Looked like there might be some other leads from youtube there as well. Thanks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                              What's that blokey TV show on late at night on Trans7 - I think it is on Wednesdays at about 12 midnight -ish, after that very , very Lame drama about a poncy rich guy and a woman... (I only know of it because they filmed my hubby & his mates for the Rolling Stones edition a few weeks back).
                              (& before you ask- he was cutting room floor & his mate got the limelight haha)

                              I know it will be hard to sit & watch it over again as its not a dvd/movie thingy but it might interest you- they talk music, cars , bikes and such & even I understand some of what they are saying.
                              Originally posted by jstar View Post
                              Lelaki Punya Mau.
                              I'll try it. I've found it on youtube, looks like I can even pick the bits I am interested in. Sweet.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X