"Jingga" versus "Oranye"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
    Who would have thought -- color sense a function of gender. I am green with envy.
    There may be scientific evidence for this:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...540446/?no-ist

Also true from experience:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...men-vs-men.jpg

Comment

as a designer, jingga is different than orange.
      pantone orange 021c .. that's orange
      pantone 1235c
      dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Originally posted by dafluff View Post
        There may be scientific evidence for this:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...540446/?no-ist

Also true from experience:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...men-vs-men.jpg
        Like I said, "Who would have thought?"

Linked with the above research is a related Smithsonian story noting that women's brains age faster than those of men. While women are more sophisticated in the perceptions of color, perhaps they should not worry their pretty little heads about the subtle difference lest their gray matter machinery seize up prematurely. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...841219/?no-ist

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
          But wouldn't a word with a Sanskrit root be considered "better" than a word with a Dutch (or any Western language) root to someone who had an anti-colonialist feeling?
          Since Bahasa Indonesia is a rather 'fluid' language, there are not so many purists around. The word oranye is definitely the most popular one.

You know what's rather interesting? The name of the Dutch royalty which is obviously represented by the family name 'Oranje-Nassau', is in fact originally not even from the fruit.

In Dutch and Flemish, the words for the fruit orange are sinaasappel or appelsien (apple from China). There is no reference at all to the sanskrit 'naranga'. And the word Oranje for the royal family, came from the town of Arausio, the original name of the city Orange in France. Only later the word also became the color (in Dutch) and was linked to the Dutch royal family. And since then the color represents all the countries' national sport teams, but even some major Jakarta and Indonesian clubcolors are orange.

Last edited by jstar; 19-08-15, 21:38. Reason: Added pic
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
            S
            In Dutch and Flemish, the words for the fruit orange are sinaasappel or appelsien (apple from China). There is no reference at all to the sanskrit 'naranga'. And the word Oranje for the royal family, came from the town of Arausio, the original name of the city Orange in France. Only later the word also became the color (in Dutch) and was linked to the Dutch royal family. And since then the color represents all the countries' national sport teams, but even some major Jakarta and Indonesian clubcolors are orange.
            Cool! I love language tidbits like that.

Comment

Jingga is the preferred term for the color used by Kopaskhas (Indonesian Air Force - Special Forces Corps) for their beret. For daily use everybody else prefers oranye, except probably poets and musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimbus View Post
                Jingga is the preferred term for the color used by Kopaskhas (Indonesian Air Force - Special Forces Corps) for their beret. For daily use everybody else prefers oranye, except probably poets and musicians.
                I admit that I've rarely thought that [COLOR=#333333]Special Forces Corps and musicians and poets could have common points and classified in the same category. [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                  I admit that I've rarely thought that [COLOR=#333333]Special Forces Corps and musicians and poets could have common points and classified in the same category. [/COLOR]
                  They like 'Jingga' for different reasons. Soldiers like it because it has an authentically Indonesian ring to it, while poets and musicians like it because it sounds ancient.

Comment

Yeah, like amber, tangerine and marigold.
                    [FONT=arial black]
                    [/FONT]

Comment

or for indonesian color such as 'lembayung',
                      dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

^..or like a shot of grenadine in a tequila sunrise.

Mas Nakal the next round of teh botol is on me.

As shakespeare said "peace out".

Comment

I am Indonesian and I think Jingga is Indonesia words for Orange while Oranye is Jingga too.
                          While Oranje is a Dutch words and it pronounce Oranye (refers to colonize era by the Dutch).

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
                            or for indonesian color such as 'lembayung',
                            Lembayung is purple if I recall. Jingga is like light pink with a little color of oranye.
                            Lokalwise - Your daily dose of event, food, and general lifestyle in Jakarta, Indonesia.
                            Join us on Facebook: lokal.wise

Comment

What I've learnt is:
                              Jingga represents the colour of the sky when the sun is rising, the day is breaking. It's a combination of reddish-orangish colour.
                              Lembayung is when the sun is setting, the sky turns blueish-purplish. Therefore Indonesian often say "lembayung senja".
                              Whereas oranye, yes, it's a loan word from Dutch "oranje". People more commonly use orange, because jingga sounds too poetic, and it's considered as "high-register vocab".

Comment

Working...
                              X