Learn Indonesian by word association

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn Indonesian by word association

Hi, I'm James and I've written a book which makes learning Indonesian a breeze.

It uses word association to help you remember the words really fast (and it's fun too).

For example, [COLOR=#141823][FONT=Helvetica]Clean is Bersih in Indonesian.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#141823][FONT=Helvetica]To learn the word, imagine you can BAREly SEE through the window before you CLEAN it.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#141823][FONT=Helvetica]Your brain loves associating things, so much so that you'll get at least 75% better retention using this method.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#141823][FONT=Helvetica]Check out http://www.indoglyphs.com/ for more details.

It's how I learned Indonesian and is working for over 500 people to date.

Here's what people say about it.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I discovered James’s book and couldn’t stop laughing! And to my surprise I remember every word and its meaning. Don’t we say that the best way to learn is by having fun? Well, prepare yourself to have loads of fun and learn quickly new words at the same time… Sand-pie jumper!^^” – Lucy[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#32363F][FONT=Helvetica Neue]This book is awesome and funny! You make it so easy to learn Bahasa Indonesian. I flipped through it for the first time for about 15 seconds and without trying was able to remember three words. Not bad at all . Thanks James! – Kristi[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Yeah that's what I did at the beginning with simple words, for example. House = thirsty, Cows = Tshirt etc. etc.

Comment

the first words I ever learned were terimah kasih from a "tracks" surfing magazine in the 70's .... the word association was ...tear up my car seat ......
      The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Good luck to you, I'm sure this will work for some people, but to me personally this method is unintuitive. For instance, take your Cat/Kucing word association example. I'd now have to think of a cat in a till, the till makes the sound ke-ching, and then I'd have to remember that it's not actually ke-ching it's koo-ching. It's too long winded in my opinion.

Also, trying Google just now, I can't find any evidence that this method is actually proven to work. Feel free to add some links, I'd be interested to know for sure as I'm about to start seriously studying again after resting on my laurels for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
          Yeah that's what I did at the beginning with simple words, for example. House = thirsty, Cows = Tshirt etc. etc.
          Originally posted by macvert View Post
          the first words I ever learned were terimah kasih from a "tracks" surfing magazine in the 70's .... the word association was ...tear up my car seat ......
          What a terrific idea! Amongst the first words I learnt were bintang, susu and pantat, I have no idea how they stuck in my head.
          Last edited by Bagindo; 02-03-15, 19:04. Reason: In case my wife reads this...I'm only joking honey!
          Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Word association is the only way I can remember new words these days. By that I mean the one or two I learn each month

I really need to start studying again...

I have a terrible short term memory so I need word association to remember new vocabulary for a few days, then the new word gets committed to long term memory (to be forgotten again because I am rubbish at revising)

Comment

Hi folks...

It's been a while - I've been busy

I've been working on a new book, updating the website and releasing an Android App for the method.

I want people to be able to try it for themselves as easily as possible so you can buy with confidence. There's FREE goodies on the site - so please help yourself
              http://www.lingolinks.biz

Indo2000 - as far as learning goes - this doesn't work for everyone - but luckily there's loads of methods out there - so, I appreciate the good wishes and hope you find something that works for you. As for the proof - please check out this link and you'll see a Stanford study that proved the method. http://www.lingolinks.biz/#research

Also, there is a great new service from Nulis Buku who will deliver a paperback copy straight to your door in Indonesia. Check the website for details.
              http://www.lingolinks.biz

Happy learning.

All the best, James

Comment

So you have this info personally as well...

Hi Indo2000 - as far as learning goes - this doesn't work for everyone - but luckily there's loads of methods out there - so, I appreciate the good wishes and hope you find something that works for you. As for the proof - please check out this link and you'll see a Stanford study that proved the method. http://www.lingolinks.biz/#research

Regards, James

Comment

Originally posted by JaiNanda View Post
                  So you have this info personally as well...

Hi Indo2000 - as far as learning goes - this doesn't work for everyone - but luckily there's loads of methods out there - so, I appreciate the good wishes and hope you find something that works for you. As for the proof - please check out this link and you'll see a Stanford study that proved the method. http://www.lingolinks.biz/#research

Regards, James
                  Thanks James. I'm not really sure that evidence is definitive but it's better than nothing. Also, just so you know, that left-brain right-brain thing is a myth.

Using your books and method, do you end up telling your readers that 'kucing' isn't pronounced 'ke-ching' and that 'akan' isn't pronounced 'I can'. Am I missing a step?

Comment

Well - I don't think Standford is making it up and I've read the papers and their methods are sound using basic Memes and words associations in Spanish and Russian - furthermore, I'ts how I learned so I personally know it works - As I said - if it's not for you, it's not for you.

Yes, the book covers pronunciation and how the associations are creating a key to your memory - and don't need to sound exactly the same as the word.
                    If you want to hear the correct pronunciation - then get the app - that has native speakers saying the word.

Comment

Originally posted by JaiNanda View Post
                      Yes, the book covers pronunciation and how the associations are creating a key to your memory - and don't need to sound exactly the same as the word.
                      If you want to hear the correct pronunciation - then get the app - that has native speakers saying the word.
                      Yeah, it's definitely not for me, but as long as you're eventually giving them the correct pronunciation I'm sure others will benefit.

Comment

Using word association I'm still trying to figure out how Indonesian guys 'Kuntut'....

Comment

Hahaha.... this thread is sooo funny. By the way Davita right word is 'kentut' pronounce 'ken' like in bro(ken). Association 'broken winds'

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post
                            Using word association I'm still trying to figure out how Indonesian guys 'Kuntut'....
                            Can - toot. He can toot his butt horn

Comment

Originally posted by littleiyut View Post
                              Hahaha.... this thread is sooo funny. By the way Davita right word is 'kentut' pronounce 'ken' like in bro(ken). Association 'broken winds'
                              Originally posted by Nimbus View Post
                              Can - toot. He can toot his butt horn
                              Actually it's the other way round...I need to find an association from English to Indonesian...

FART...in English if someone farts they blame the dog...my dog is called Ken...thus 'KEN tooted' = Kentut.
                              I'm really getting the hang of this word association.

I'm now working on how to get 'Fat and Chubby" to 'Lemak dan Gemuk"...anyone help?

Comment

Working...
                              X