Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for beginners.

Hey everyone!

I am a new member here but reading already since a decent time. I am not a native speaker so please excuse my English "skills".
    Since I am not an expat, just someone who likes to travel to Indonesia I don´t have the advantage to study the language in daily life.
    I started to study with online courses and a book and it seems to work out BUT they usually stop at the TOEFL level of B1. So I was wondering if there are books in Indonesian language made for foreign people, with an easy language and and a decent amount of vocuabulary to improve my skills?
    I remember I had this kind of books when I was a middle school student (for studying English) but I can´t find this kind of books for Indonesian language here in Germany. Luckily I am in Indonesia soon again so I could get them there if they exist.
    Anyone any clue or idea?

Greetings!

Hi Jonzen!
    welcome back soon.
    If I can suggest you, if you want to study Indonesian, especially for communicating, I guess TOEFL is not the best one. TOEFL is for the people who want to study English. Try to look for Indonesian conversation book for foreigner, you may google it and you'll find a bunch of that.

Good luck!

Comment

I know it is not what you are looking for, but I have never seen anything fitting your request. I would suggest manga as general reading material. My wife gave me a series of manga books about a rabbit, Sentaro, as a gift. The subject matter of these Sentaro books is more or less the same throughout, so you have lots of repetition. Also, manga has pics, which help you to "figure out" what the words mean without resorting to a dictionary. When I finish with Sentaro, I'll probably find another "slice of life" type manga with a different subject matter.

Comment

Hey thank you for they replies.
        Ratna, maybe I am wrong but I thought TOEFL is just some kind of score system to language skills. Your idea is great, I was already thinking to get some books made for elementary school kids for the beginning
        Hey Happyman, the idea with reading mangas is great sice I realy like to read them in generel...well sometimes I just thought they are kinda tough to understand because of the used slang and shortcuts but I give it a try

Comment

hi there I have a good recommendation for beginners who want to learn Indonesian language with simple explanation in English, the title of this book is " Let's Study Bahasa Indonesia With A New Method" by Drs.Guzrizal,etc. I don't know if this book still be sold at bookstore here, cuz it's printed in 2007. It consists of Alphabet,pronoun,verb. explanation how to put pre-fix and even Indonesian songs. If you have difficulties to find the book, just go to the University library or may be you can borrow my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Anisa87 View Post
            hi there I have a good recommendation for beginners who want to learn Indonesian language with simple explanation in English, the title of this book is " Let's Study Bahasa Indonesia With A New Method" by Drs.Guzrizal,etc. I don't know if this book still be sold at bookstore here, cuz it's printed in 2007. It consists of Alphabet,pronoun,verb. explanation how to put pre-fix and even Indonesian songs. If you have difficulties to find the book, just go to the University library or may be you can borrow my book.
            I have that book. It's good for beginners. Pretty basic present/grammar/practice, present/grammar/practice, present/grammar/practice method as best I can recall (google is not showing the same cover I have and the book is at home).

Comment

or you can download the textbook from Hawaii Univ, but it doesn't explain grammar, it stresses about Indonesian conversation and workbook for practicing writing in Indonesian.
              http://ipll.manoa.hawaii.edu/tiw/tiw...print-edition/
              It's good for additional resource if you understand the grammar first.

If you wanna learn Indonesian slang just check this website:
              http://www.bahasakita.com/about/grammar/

Comment

that's good you have it, I have the second edition, revised edition. not only present, it describes present,past,future. Passive sentences.
                Also, the writers write conversation, folktale too. It's complete for beginners who learn Indonesian for the first time.
                There's verb table too about how to put prefix,suffix.

Comment

Hey thanks alot for the advice. I will have a look for that book, if it´s not available in Germany I will look for it in Indonesia.
                  Actually I am learning with "The Indonesian Way" from the University of Hawaii, I like it pretty much and I combine it with a grammar book.

Comment

I came across this website a while ago. Seems pretty good. They have an app and if you pay the membership, it comes with an ebook, too. Not a book like you're looking for, but the podcast format can be handy if you're ever stuck in Jakarta traffic .

http://learningindonesian.com

Comment

Working...
                    X