Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's get a group together for lessons in Bandung!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get a group together for lessons in Bandung!

Hi, Everybody! (Hi, Happy!)

I'm looking for a few buddies to get together and take Bahasa courses. Learning by yourself is boring. I saw that someone said UPI has lessons. That's nice. Would anyone like to get together and make a proper (according to your own definition) job of it?
    (I am not entirely new to Indo, do speak Bahasa Indonesia rather poorly but quickly, am looking to learn; correct grammar (mine comes readily and consistently but alas, incorrectly), basic vocab (household items and that stuff), words for abstract concepts (ie. individualism), adjectives in spades.
    Anyway, I reckon just having a scheduled class will help me get off my duff and learn more, so if you're interested, hit me up or post here. Let's not worry too much about our different, random and unclear levels. If enough people post, we should be able to set something up.

I can only advise that you steer well clear of UPI after my experience with them.

Initially (expecting a proper course ) I got an English language student sent to my house to teach me... didn't see a classroom- or anything resembling professionalism.
    I spoke to the guy who'd taken my cash and suggested it got remedied or I would take it higher... it got sort of remedied- yet I was still on 1-1 lessons , just this time with someone who told me they were a teacher there....
    Half the lessons I paid for got missed and there was no certificate or proof of attendance or anything- not even an initial program of learning.
    I was provided with 1 book, that has ridiculous English in it and if the 'tutor's" reaction was anything to go by the Indonesian in it was naff too.
    The things I was being taught were totally useless (to me) things such as "where is the nearest hotel? I need to make a reservation" etc.
    The other thing about the guy who took my money (allegedly the head of the languages department) was that instead of doing anything about sponsoring me for a visa , he kept suggesting that I marry his body guard- as a nice easy visa... **rolls eyes** . In short he was an ass.

I would advise connecting with the Bandung English Club in facebook, they are mainly (but not exclusively) a group of English language students who are fun, intelligent and talented with language.
    Hang out with them when they have their gatherings (they often meet on a Saturday at about 4 pm at a cafe near to Gasibu) and let them practice their English with you in exchange for them teaching you Bhs Indonesia.
    Cicak Magnet

Comment

[QUOTE=bad_azz;423514]I can only advise that you steer well clear of UPI after my experience with them.

I thank you for your advice Miz. Azz, and will now cross that of my list of "other options". (Now looking less like a list and more like a very small pile of sleeping zebras)

[QUOTE=bad_azz;423514]I would advise connecting with the Bandung English Club in facebook, they are mainly (but not exclusively) a group of English language students who are fun, intelligent and talented with language.

Again, thank you for the suggestion. Who knows, maybe I'll see some of my old students.
      Still, there has to be someone out there (in Bandung) who wants to group up for Bahasa Indonesia lessons... right?

Comment

I'm new (more or less as I kind of forgot it existed until Kitas time came round again) to the forum and am wondering if there might be a rule against pointless posts just to push your thread to the top? it not, is it considered impolite to post in all caps and bold, e.g. IS THERE ANYONE INTERESTED IN TAKING ENGLISH LESSONS TOGETHER?
        I realize that may be a bit of an extreme step, but if a thread gets old, it moves down the list, then no-one sees it, I forget it's there because nothing ever changes...

Comment

Ya know... I feel a bit un-loved. Nobody wants to study with me. That's sad. Must be because I'm a foreigner. Never mind that I'm new to the forum and most of you probably already speak Bahasa Indonesia as well as you want to (basics are dead simple after all), I take this personally. It's because of my smelly feet. You don't like me because of my foreign, smelly feet. That's it, that's what it is, and I'm going to keep posting in this thread until one of you admits it! (Or until SEVERAL OF YOU AGREE TO TAKE BAHASA INDONESIA LESSONS!)

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
            Ya know... I feel a bit un-loved. Nobody wants to study with me. That's sad. Must be because I'm a foreigner. Never mind that I'm new to the forum and most of you probably already speak Bahasa Indonesia as well as you want to (basics are dead simple after all), I take this personally. It's because of my smelly feet. You don't like me because of my foreign, smelly feet. That's it, that's what it is, and I'm going to keep posting in this thread until one of you admits it! (Or until SEVERAL OF YOU AGREE TO TAKE BAHASA INDONESIA LESSONS!)
            Wait, wait, wait. Bfore somebody says they already take lessons, thus negating the aforementioned foot-fetish punishment... I mean, TAKE LESSONS WITH ME, IN BANDUNG.

Comment

Sorry, I'm learning Bahasa from my almost 2 year old. Really.
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                Sorry, I'm learning Bahasa from my almost 2 year old. Really.
                I could probably do the same with my 3 year old. He knows a lot of words I don't. (most of them related to war and fighting) Still, think I 'll keep beating the drum for a bit longer. Maybe someone will remember THEY HAVE SOME FRIENDS WHO WANT TO LEARN BAHASA INDONESIA, IN BANDUNG. Thanks for the reply, Mr Jaime.

Comment

This thread will soon be closed due to excessive activity. "THE SERVERS CAN'T HANDLE THE [COLOR=#4b0082]TRUTH[/COLOR]" So[COLOR=#4b0082],[/COLOR] [COLOR=#4b0082]NOW[/COLOR] is the time to decide[COLOR=#4b0082]![/COLOR] [COLOR=#4b0082] LET'S [/COLOR] be honest, you know your Bahasa Indonesia is not as good as my cat's (never heard a single grammar mistake or mispronunciation)! [COLOR=#4b0082]LEARN[/COLOR] ing was the key to [COLOR=#4b0082] B [/COLOR]obby-[COLOR=#4b0082] A [/COLOR]nna-[COLOR=#4b0082] H[/COLOR] airy-[COLOR=#4b0082] A [/COLOR]nimal- [COLOR=#4b0082]S [/COLOR]tink- [COLOR=#4b0082]A [/COLOR]braham's survival! Life can be hard on the poorly named, the hirsute, the odiferous, especially in [COLOR=#4b0082] INDONESIA [/COLOR]! This feline h[COLOR=#4b0082] AS [/COLOR] overcome, many many many (unnamed) obstacles! [COLOR=#4b0082]A [/COLOR]nd now, he needs your help! This furry friend is now in need of your [COLOR=#4b0082]G R[/COLOR] ace, [COLOR=#4b0082]O[/COLOR]riginal and [COLOR=#4b0082]U[/COLOR]n-original[COLOR=#4b0082] [/COLOR][COLOR=#4b0082]P[/COLOR]osters! [COLOR=#4b0082]IN[/COLOR] what way can you help?! You can agree to meet me, The Amazing Bob, in [COLOR=#4b0082]BANDUNG[/COLOR] for certain activities! Only-in-that-way-can-you-save-him-from-domination-and-tyranny-at-the-hands-of-my-imported-white-hamsters[COLOR=#4b0082]![/COLOR]
                  Last edited by Happyman; 16-10-14, 14:14. Reason: deleted all the weird bolding

Comment

I think you're trying too hard.

Many people consider all caps, to be similar to yelling. Also, no paragraphs make it hard to read. I realize that you're trying to be humorous, but most people who have been here for years have already taken classes, or are doing it by the trickle down method.
                    Last edited by wm; 16-10-14, 08:49.
                    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Jaime C, the lessons aren't really that much of a problem, though I do thank you for your concern. You're really quite a nice guy. I'll take lessons by myself if no one wants to join in. Actually think I'd be ok with an immersion setting at this point. I spend all day speaking and reading Bahasa Indonesia. Have done for the last two years. I'm just not satisfied with my inability to speak or write in a formal setting, and the fact that I constantly recycle the same words. So, I thought it would be good to start with the basics. If I do it by myself, it's gonna be B O R I N G. But, I'm the one who wants to do it. If no one is sufficiently amused by my posts to think they might want to take lessons together, it's fine. Also, I like making the posts

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                        This thread will soon be closed due to excessive activity. "THE SERVERS CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" So, NOW is the time to decide! LET'S be honest, you know your Bahasa Indonesia is not as good as my cat's (never heard a single grammar mistake or mispronunciation)! LEARNing was the key to Bobby-Anna-Hairy-Animal-Stink-Abraham's survival! Life can be hard on the poorly named, the hirsute, the odiferous, especially in INDONESIA! This feline hAS overcome, many many many (unnamed) obstacles! And now, he needs your help! This furry friend is now in need of your GRace, Original and Un-original Posters! IN what way can you help?! You can agree to meet me, The Amazing Bob, in BANDUNG for certain activities! Only-in-that-way-can-you-save-him-from-domination-and-tyranny-at-the-hands-of-my-imported-white-hamsters!

Someone deleted my bolding, but I put it back! There's a secret message hidden in the text! The first person to find it and post here, gets to accompany me for group lessons!

Oh boy....., you edited your post that was edited already by wm !
                        Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Happyman might not know who wm is ...H, it's the forum owner!

I'm sure she forgives you, though

Comment

Ban him please ..
                            Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Sorry, I thought maybe "someone" didn't see the purpose of the Bold. I was mystified how it could have been edited. I'll PM WM and ask what to do. Please don't ask for me to be banned. I like it here.

Comment

Working...
                              X