Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to say it in English these Indonesian Words properly ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to say it in English these Indonesian Words properly ?

Dear Experts,
    i've been searching some Indonesian words/phrases in this forum and also on google and i haven't found yet,
    and i believe you guys know how to say it in English properly:

1. Gemesin.
    a. Gemesin pengen nonjok.
    b. Gemesin pengen nyium.
    2. Gregetan.
    3. Iseng.
    4. Jail (suka ngisengin orang)
    5. melongo / bengong / melamun
    6. keserimpet / belibet
    7. keserempet mobil
    8. Gendong belakang

thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Riyal Kabayan; 13-08-14, 12:29.
    Macarena Macarena baila baila ela ela Macarena Macarena all night long!

Ok here you are in no particular order -

Gendong belakan - a piggy back.
    Iseng - just for fun, without a purpose.
    Gemesin pengen nonjok - winding me up.
    Gemesin pengen nyium - going all "gooey".
    melongo / bengong / melamun - to daydream.
    keserempet mobil - run over or hit by a car.
    Jail - Antagonistic - to antagonize

That's all I know - maybe ask an Indonesian with better English than my Indonesian.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
      Ok here you are in no particular order -

Gendong belakan - a piggy back.
      Iseng - just for fun, without a purpose.
      Gemesin pengen nonjok - winding me up.
      Gemesin pengen nyium - going all "gooey".
      melongo / bengong / melamun - to daydream.
      keserempet mobil - run over or hit by a car.
      Jail - Antagonistic - to antagonize

That's all I know - maybe ask an Indonesian with better English than my Indonesian.
      very nice! so can i say he's such an antagonist whether he use to tease me oftentimes?

Comment

Antagonist? My kids often explain their teasing with "iseng". I don't consider them antagonists, but sometimes I do need to lighten up. Then again, maybe it isn't "iseng" until they see you're not happy, then "iseng" becomes an excuse to back down?

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
          Antagonist? My kids often explain their teasing with "iseng". I don't consider them antagonists, but sometimes I do need to lighten up. Then again, maybe it isn't "iseng" until they see you're not happy, then "iseng" becomes an excuse to back down?
          yap, i believe it so. but randomly "iseng" (just for fun, without purpose) is quite different with "jail" (someone does like a prank) or teasing.
          so i get the point "Teasing" is more properly in English defining "Iseng".

if there's any explanation else would be appreciated

Comment

Well, Riyal there is also "pulling your leg" which is pretending something is true (with a serious face of course) and then when the person naively says, "Really?" you reveal that you were just making it up. Not sure if that is iseng or not.

Comment

Well, Riyal there is also "pulling your leg" which is pretending something is true (with a serious face of course) and then when the person naively says, "Really?" you reveal that you were just making it up. Not sure if that is iseng or not.
              Yes that's 'iseng' too... Thank you for expanding 'iseng' in English I do appreciate that.

Comment

Pulling your leg is a good one...I was thinking maybe "Giving you a hard time" might also fit?

If it's a 'bad' iseng...I know people sometimes just say "He/she's just being a jerk.." or "he/she just tries to annoy you".

"Gemesing" or "Gregetan" I've yet to find something really close in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post
                  Pulling your leg is a good one...I was thinking maybe "Giving you a hard time" might also fit?

If it's a 'bad' iseng...I know people sometimes just say "He/she's just being a jerk.." or "he/she just tries to annoy you".

iseng iseng : goof off
                  gemesin : get on my nerves, excited
                  gregetan that’s my homie Greg Etan!

Comment

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post

wellnoted.

I haven't found yet too. However 'winding up and gooey' could be referred or not?
                    Last edited by Riyal Kabayan; 13-08-14, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by joe ragan View Post
                      iseng iseng : goof off
                      gemesin : get on my nerves, excited
                      gregetan that’s my homie Greg Etan!
                      how if 'iseng-iseng berhadiah' ? Is it goofing off the luckydraw?

Greg Etan? Hahaha don't put 'S' as Etan's initial, would sound creepy for Indonesian ! :kiding:

Comment

Originally posted by Riyal Kabayan View Post
                        wellnoted.

I haven't found yet too. However 'winding up and gooey' could be referred or not?
                        I've personally never used either.

I will say though...Indonesian idioms, particularly Jakarta's 'bahasa gaul' is getting a bit out there and don't really make sense at all and it often times muddle up everyday conversation...(wonder who created all these...maybe the artists on TV?)...for example...."Sebelas Duabelas"/Eleven twelve...kinda equivalent to "Inseparable" if I am not mistaken....I mean...why not empat/lima? Enam/Tujuh? Too many useless new catch phrases.

I've heard variation of iseng-iseng berhadiah...or tebak-tebak berhadiah....which is kinda like 'try my luck and see what happens"

Sorry for my cranky tone....I'm just frustrated talking to younger Indonesian generation lately (early-mid 20s)...too much slang I don't understand (and Indonesian is my first language!!)
                        Last edited by Banana72; 14-08-14, 01:24.

Comment

That would be when Goofy gets lucky!

Comment

[COLOR=#333333]Hmmm let me try...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]1. Gemesin. — cute / adorable[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]a. Gemesin pengen nonjok. & b. Gemesin pengen nyium. — like Banana said, these two are slangs that don't make much sense and can't be translated[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]2. Gregetan. — This is one of those words with multiple meanings, so there may not be any good translation for it. AFAIK, it can mean being angry/annoyed in a playful way or a feeling that something lacks a certain unnameable thing (eg. kurang greget).[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]3. Iseng. — cheeky[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]4. Jail (suka ngisengin orang) — prankster[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]5. melongo / bengong / melamun — daydream[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]6. keserimpet / belibet — tongue-tied / tongue-twisted[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]7. keserempet mobil — hit by a car, as Scooter said. I realize this sounds a lot more serious than "keserempet". Perhaps this has to do with how slowly cars move in Indonesian traffic? [/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]8. Gendong belakang — piggyback[/COLOR]
                            Last edited by indonomad; 14-08-14, 04:11.

Comment

That would be similar to "well, it can't hurt to try".

Comment

Working...
                              X