X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimbus
    replied
    Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
    Nepotisme (nepotism) - is the nearest word i can think of, it was certainly a popular word in the mid 90s when used in the "KKN" context (Korupsi, Kolusi, Nepotisme) when describing the corruption within the new order government of President Soeharto.
    Yeah, but nepotism has a very specific meaning of favoring one's family or relatives, cronyism is much wider than that. In the context of Indonesia 'kolusi' is probably closer, as it points to the widespread practice of various people conspiring to maximize their profit from corruption.

Anyway, the distinction is kinda meaningless, as they're all basically forms of corruption.

Leave a comment:

• ScooterIndo
    replied
    Nepotisme (nepotism) - is the nearest word i can think of, it was certainly a popular word in the mid 90s when used in the "KKN" context (Korupsi, Kolusi, Nepotisme) when describing the corruption within the new order government of President Soeharto.

Leave a comment:

• Nimbus
    replied
    There is no straight translation for that word in Indonesian, so you might as well use the Indonesian spelling: kroniisme.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Flynn
    started a topic Cronyism...lost in translation

Cronyism...lost in translation

Put "cronyism" into google translate and came back with "persahabatan"... which seems to be more about friendship than what cronyism really represents i.e "jobs for the boys, old boys club etc". Anyone know if this IS correct, or if there's a better word??
    cheers
Working...
X