Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whatever View Post
    Mister Bule,

That's right, literal translation often doesn't work.
    It happens with other languages too, especially when it comes to idioms/sayings.
    Talking about barang ...
    We have "barang siapa yang ..." means, "those who ..."
    To be honest, I don't know how/why/when this happened. Now I'm curious and I think I'll ask someone from Indonesian department in my campus.
    Thanks, whatever.

My (Indonesian) wife and I both laugh a lot sometimes (although in a kind of annoyed way) when we watch foreign films which have been given really bad English subtitles. REALLY bad. It is usually when the original language track of the movie is in a third language like Mandarin or Thai, but the "English" subtitles sometimes have some Indonesian words mixed in.

They are amusing for awhile but so poorly translated that it can be really difficult to follow the story of the film, and not find yourself just staring goggle-eyed at the subtitles. It should be because the person making the subtitles does not really know English (and / or is using the worst machine translator known to humankind) so is jsut giving a literal word-for-word translation.

If I were doing the same thing when making English subtitles for Indonesian language movies, I would translate "barang kali" as "stuff time" or "material time", and "Kamu tidak apa apa?" as "You no what what?"

"Ka'u ambil yang mana?" and "'Ku ambil yang ini" would become "You take which where?" and "I take which this"

It ("barang kali") and other phrases confuse me, but it is because I am thinking about them with my trained-in-English brain.
    Last edited by Mister Bule; 07-02-14, 23:02.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

in bahasa ,, if you want to climb any other thing but mountain, you use Panjat - Memanjat. for example : panjat pohon (tree climbing) panjat tebing (cliff / rock climbing)

special for mountains, hills, you use Daki - Mendaki. example: Mendaki gunung (hiking) mendaki bukit

you cannot say Memanjat gunung also you cannot say Mendaki pohon

Comment

"Cannot say" or "SHOULD not say"?

{I'm not trying to be disrespectful... just asking.)

Comment

Mister Bule,

Hahaha, that makes me laugh.
          Yes I know what you mean. I watch those films/DVDs too.
          To be honest, I do that too (laughing at the translation). Actually, it is amusing.
          For me, when I watch movies with poorly translated subtitles, after (or while) I am laughing at it, at the same time I try to find the better translation.
          So sometimes (if I'm not too lazy) I watch movies with some dictionaries/thesaurus beside me
          (This is why I didn't take Translation major , cos it's not as easy as it seems)

And
          Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
          You tell me pls, my guess would be: should not?
          Lately, I feel so useless, my English has gotten worse

Comment

Yes, in English we would probably say "should not" instead of "cannot" in this case, assuming what is meant is that to say it that way is incorrect or not in accord with proper use of the language. Like in English we *should* not say "Mommy at up, Daddy" because it would be incorrect. However we *can* (bisa) say it. So should / should not is more like "may" or "boleh / tidak boleh" while can / cannot is more like "bisa / tidak bisa. We *should* say, "Daddy, Mommy is upstairs".

Comment

Understood, Mister Bule
              Glad to know I was right ^^

Comment

Mendagi

Comment

Mendaki

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post

{I'm not trying to be disrespectful... just asking.)
                    simply,, cannot say.. since it is not the compatible word

Comment

special in the case for language, in Bahasa Indonesia we never say 'boleh' or may for something we already know that it is incorrect. thats why i say "cannot say" because it is tidak bisa rather than tidak boleh. hehehe i guess its just me who is not using proper saying in english and deliberately translating my bahasa indonesia way to speak to english.

Comment

orysativa, sorry, I missed your post until now. Thanks for the explanation and it makes sense in that way why in B I it is said "can not" for something that is incorrect form or procedure.

In English we distinguish (or we used to distinguish) between "may" for something that is contingent on permission ("May I go to the toilet?", if asked of the teacher) and "can" for something that is just considered either to be possible or impossible ("Can you jump over a cat?", or for making a request for something ("Can you fetch that bottle from the top shelf for me?".

However it has become very common in English usage to use "can" or can't" instead of "may" or "may not" for matters of asking permission or clarifying what is allowable as well, even though in B I one would say we "cannot" speak that way, that is, it is not correct form.

Comment

Working...
                        X