No announcement yet.

Learning to Bargain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you use a good bike (like the one on your avatar) choose at least Pertamax or Pertamax super. Cost about $1/litre (price is shown on the banner and petrol pump) when in Pertamina pump station.
    For rental bikes just use the cheaper premium for Rp 6,500 (they have lower octane)
    Those are my regular mechanic's advise

Petrol sold on "eceran" are for emergency only if you are running very low and doesn't think you can reach the next petrol station. Its not about the mix content as one poster said but more of the residue/dirt in the bottle that could pile up in your carburetor / oil line if you buy from them regularly.
    Spider pig spider pig, does whatever a spider pig can

Comment

Originally posted by Interloper View Post
      I know this is off topic +/- but I asked about gasoline.
      What about quality? What about grades? Octane? Premium??
      Modern 4 stroke bikes tend to run fine on the higher octane (cleaner burning) Pertamax, but due to the cost most people still use Premium.
      Older 2 stroke bikes and Vespas actually run better on the premium fuel due to the higher lead content.
      In the UK most highly tuned scooters use an additional lead additive as all fuels sold there are of the cleaner burning higher octane type.
      Long gone are the days of 2/3/4 star petrol at the pumps.

As for using the bottled fuel on the side of the roads, this can be contaminated with dirt but with the use of a good inline fuel filter (plus the one in the carb) it doesent have any adverse effect on the performance of highly tuned engines, and if correctly mixed with good synthetic 2 stroke oil the emissions wont be much worse than a four stroke machine.

Hope this helps Ok back to topic.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
        Modern 4 stroke bikes tend to run fine on the higher octane (cleaner burning) Pertamax, but due to the cost most people still use Premium.
        Older 2 stroke bikes and Vespas actually run better on the premium fuel due to the higher lead content.
        In the UK most highly tuned scooters use an additional lead additive as all fuels sold there are of the cleaner burning higher octane type.
        Long gone are the days of 2/3/4 star petrol at the pumps.

As for using the bottled fuel on the side of the roads, this can be contaminated with dirt but with the use of a good inline fuel filter (plus the one in the carb) it doesent have any adverse effect on the performance of highly tuned engines, and if correctly mixed with good synthetic 2 stroke oil the emissions wont be much worse than a four stroke machine.

Hope this helps Ok back to topic.
        Lead? Yooooou got Lead??? This old girl was made for lead. She ain't seen real Tetraethyllead in years. I'm lucky to get 90 octane here. What are you seeing there? Real Tetraethyllead?? Sounds like Heaven. Idaho was like that in '95!
        Some of the chapters of my life are pretty boring but some of the pages are fascinating.

Comment

Working...
        X