Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whatever
    replied
    Sangkil, mangkus, pengar and maybe other "new words" are not new...
    They do exist but they are just rarely used even by Indonesians.
    There are many "original" Indonesian words, it's just that the media and everyone prefer to use loan words or English.
    Such as:
    mouse - tetikus
    toilet - kamar kecil/kamar mandi

In Language Change class, we had an assignment to make a language planning for Indonesia.
    What do we do with our language now, what are the outcomes, etc.
    We had to make language planning for 3 categories: Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia), Local Languages (Bahasa Daerah), Foreign Languages (Bahasa Asing).
    It took us three meetings (three weeks) just to get the right planning

One of the plans are, to socialize original Indonesian words (use old/abandoned words and use less loan words).
    This should be done together with the media (TV, radio, newspapers, etc), education (schools), govt, formal speech etc.
    The goal is so that Indonesian people understand more about their own language and more familiar with old words that are abandoned, and to preserve Indonesian language.

Now I really think Indonesia should make a language planning, if we want bahasa Indonesia to survive in this multilingual society.

Leave a comment:

• naughtygab
    replied
    have no idea... it's weird and awkward .....

Leave a comment:

• Yingyang
    replied
    Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
    i have just found out that the indonesian word for "toilet" is "peranti gelontor" ... ( not sure what is the rite word for peranti) in some other translation , software is called as peranti lunak , while soft is lunak. in this peranti gelontor, ... gelontor is close to " flush" word. ... but i guess never ask anyone at the mall , "dimana ada peranti gelontor?" for "where's the toilet" as not everyone would undersand.
    I am Indonesian and I never heard of "peranti gelontor". Who invented this new weird Indonesian language? "gelontor" is Javanese too.

Leave a comment:

• naughtygab
    replied
    i have just found out that the indonesian word for "toilet" is "peranti gelontor" ... ( not sure what is the rite word for peranti) in some other translation , software is called as peranti lunak , while soft is lunak. in this peranti gelontor, ... gelontor is close to " flush" word. ... but i guess never ask anyone at the mall , "dimana ada peranti gelontor?" for "where's the toilet" as not everyone would undersand.

Leave a comment:

• GGCouture
    replied
    Good grief, I've been away from Indonesia too long!

Leave a comment:

• oktaquin
    replied
    I'm Indonesian and i even don't know what that means

Leave a comment:

• Nimbus
    replied
    I remember sangkil and mangkus, JS Badudu was promoting them instead of efektif and efisien. It's interesting that these words are still alive.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle O'Brien
    replied
    I so had the same immediate thought fastpitch!

Leave a comment:

• naughtygab
    replied
    i just wonder who was the one who created those words??? what triggers them to approve that word to have certain meaning?
    ehm, maybe like how the word 'twerking' was created ?

Leave a comment:

• hendry_ohe
    replied
    mang·kus a mustajab; mujarab; manjur; berhasil guna

sang·kil v 1 sampai: perahu kecil itu -- dng selamat ke tempat tujuan; 2 kena; mengenai: bidikannya tepat -- sasaran; 3 berdaya guna; efisien

I heard mangkus before, but never heard of pengar and sangkil.........

Leave a comment:

• hendry_ohe
    replied
    This is from Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia:

pe·ngar a berasa agak pening (setelah bangun dr tidur yg tidak nyenyak, habis mabuk, dsb)

Leave a comment:

• naughtygab
    replied
    i should have ya? :-) but at that time i could not think of word that use 'e' and would not be more confusing. imagine if i wrote 'sepeda'
    Originally posted by Alia View Post
    Pengar like you say pesing. Can not you find another word than pesing ..???

Leave a comment:

• Alia
    replied
    Originally posted by jstar View Post
    no, laura cinta

thought pengar was more like having hangover?
    I dont know. I read it in the Indonesian subtitle movie. "Dia lagi pengar". Explaining someone who is under drugs and alcohol influence. Weird word.

Leave a comment:

• Alia
    replied
    Pengar like you say pesing. Can not you find another word than pesing ..???

Leave a comment:

• jstar
    replied
    no, laura cinta

thought pengar was more like having hangover?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X