Common abbreviations that locals use on FB & in social media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martindo View Post
    What one person thinks is "common" is "unusual" to another person. Somebody who makes sinetron seems to think "gue" is common, but I never hear it.

I use aq sometimes, mgu sometimes. Always: knp, yg, sm, tp, g and also d for "di". But at least half of my bahasa sms messages are with family members, so they know my idiosyncrasies and I know theirs.
    Oh I get it yes. Hmmmmmmmmm gua used to be unsual for me to hear until I came to a high school and taught there. Some of my students added my FB on their friend list and I found out the use of gua among them. But gue, gw, (even sometimes g) are familiar to me.
    I use those abbreviations too: mgu, knp, yg, sm, tp, g (for enggak, sometimes) and d for di

Btw I find gue is used by people around my mom's age, like 50 something.
    I find all of my friends use gw instead of gue or gua.
    Last edited by whatever; 21-03-14, 20:26.

Comment

Some of these predate cell phones. I remember seeing watermelon labeled in a supermarket in the early 1990s as "SMK".

Comment

Of course, most of my family use bahasa jawa when texting each other. So, I'm doubly handicapped for reading those SMS. My Javanese vocabulary is only 100 words (plus simple phrases like "ora ngerti" which always gets a laugh when I use it deadpan as a I reply to "can you speak Javanese?").

Comment

Ha that's funny how language change

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
            Of course, most of my family use bahasa jawa when texting each other. So, I'm doubly handicapped for reading those SMS. My Javanese vocabulary is only 100 words (plus simple phrases like "ora ngerti" which always gets a laugh when I use it deadpan as a I reply to "can you speak Javanese?").
            Ahhh that's cute.
            Wait where are you from?
            I always like it when I hear a foreigner try to speak in Indonesian or even in Javanese, sounds adorable ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
              Btw I find gue is used by people around my mom's age, like 50 something.
              I find all of my friends use gw instead of gue or gua.
              Wait you mean gue in speech or in text? It is definitely NOT people over 30 who use gue in speech in sinetron. It is spoken by young, arrogant, wealthy characters.

Comment

Mart,
                Hmmmmmmmmm I occasionally go with my mom when she attends an event or some small reunion with her old friends or something and they do say gue or aku. If I am not mistaken, I saw gue in written form, too.

No it is not only spoken by young arrogant wealthy characters kok..
                Many of them might be from you know mid-high social background but they are not sombong at all.
                When they're together they look like young people who enjoy their togetherness and talk about their old times and current live...
                Last edited by whatever; 22-03-14, 13:38.

Comment

Please reread my posts. I was talking about SINETRON characters. As I said, I never hear the word spoken by real humans.

Comment

Oh damn, sorry. Even if in sinetron (edit: maybe not sinetron but FTV) it still doesn't always have to be only spoken by arrogant characters etc. Gue is also spoken by the young protagonists too...
                    Last edited by whatever; 22-03-14, 13:52.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                      BBW - buang2 waktu - wasting time
                      ML - make love
                      GF - girlfriend
                      BF - boyfriend
                      TTM - teman tapi mesra - fiends that are hot for each other
                      MTA - mau tau aja - you realy want to know
                      ^ lol seems like people around him teach him how to be a naughty boy

Comment

I kinda like TTM = enemies that are hot for each other.
                        Oh, I guess that's a typo of "fiend" instead of "friend" LOL.

Comment

@Whatever: Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just that the arrogant ones say "gue" so emphatically, it stands out (especially when the perennially oppressed religious Muslim heroine is being criticized). But I suppose it's the same in English -- the arrogant characters in TV shows will say "I" more emphatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Firdza Dinda View Post
                            ^ lol seems like people around him teach him how to be a naughty boy
                            Scoot doesn't need anyone to teach him to be a naughty boy, he is naughty him self. And you'll be surprised by his Indonesian vocab regarding 'naughty-ness'
                            Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

martindo: I do that sometimes when I'm mad hahahaha

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                              BBW - buang2 waktu - wasting time
                              ML - make love
                              GF - girlfriend
                              BF - boyfriend
                              TTM - teman tapi mesra - fiends that are hot for each other
                              MTA - mau tau aja - you realy want to know
                              I use ML (rarely, cos I almost never talk about this with friends haha), BF, GF (with foreigners yes, not with Indonesians tho), TTM (I do yes with my friends), but not MTA.
                              MTA would be Mall Taman Anggrek for me hahaha...

And reading this post always makes me giggle haha

Originally posted by wombat View Post
                              When I first heard this I was so confused:

Me: "So it was like that eh?"
                              Her: "bucket!"

Indonesian version

Saya: "Oh jadi gitu ya?"
                              Dia: "Ember!"

Apparently Ember is now a slang for "thats absolutely right" shortened version of "Emang Bener" when it's official translation is actually "bucket"

Comment

Working...
                              X