Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to learn Bahasa Indonesia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to learn Bahasa Indonesia?

Hello,
    May I ask some suggestions for my husband please?. He is having a hard time learning Bahasa. I would like to know the best way to learn the language without living in the country. I tried to teach him but I wasn't doing a good job apparently. He learned from learningindonesian.com by Shaun and Cici, he doesn't remember much of anything. He is trying to get the software from Rosetta Stone, before he orders, I want to know if there is other ways: software, online classes, that are better.
    Thank you,
    Sue

Keep talking to him daily in Bahasa Indonesia in simple sentences!!! Sue, I just wonder, does your child speak bahasa Indonesia?

What about watching Indonesian TV? any chance you get the channels? or films subtitles in Indonesia?

There is any Indonesian Embassy close to your town? I mean I know Indonesian people living abroad sometimes they get together on the Indonesian Embassy for lunch and have a good time together, probably could be good if he start to listening a little bit bahasa Indonesia around.

To be honest, if you are planning to move to Indonesia on the future I guess if he really wants, could be very easy to pick up the language when you would be living here, I guess is not easy at all to learning a language without practice and listen it daily!!! He could be probably learning more in 6 months living here than in one year trying to learning from his country!!!

When I was learning Indonesian (I am terrible for languages!!!) I though I would never could learning the Indonesian numbers!!! were very difficult for me that time to remember so many numbers, I never followed clases, I learned it traveling by public buses, going to buy at traditional market, sitting on a warung drinking coffe and talking to locals, having a few books and learning at home.......

My Bahasa Indonesia now is not very good or perfect, but I found it was very easy to learning from here or at least people have a lot opportunities to learning easily because Indonesian people are very friendly and very talketive as well, hahaha I got bored to hear, mau ke mana? dari mana? sudah mandi? sudah makan? sudan kawin? sudah punya anak? dari mana? tingal di mana? punya rumah di sini? hahaha I guess these are the kind of questions many people learning first!!!!

I miss the old times traveling by bemo!!! I loved it!!
    Last edited by Shinta; 21-02-13, 06:22.
    Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

Talk bahasa Indonesia with him... all the time! Until a month ago, my wife and me always talked English at home. Now, I try to speak as much bahasa Indonesia as I can with her and in a month my bahasa Indonesia really improved. And as mentioned by Shinta, if you got the possibility watch programs with bahasa Indonesia subtitles or watch the program in bahasa Indonesia. It works for me.
      There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over(FZ)

Comment

my best way to learn language is thru songs and movies. but before that you need to know some words first and make sure the singer pronounce the lyric clearly. there are some singers that sounds like mumbling.
        dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Shinta View Post
          Keep talking to him daily in Bahasa Indonesia in simple sentences!!! Sue, I just wonder, does your child speak bahasa Indonesia?

What about watching Indonesian TV? any chance you get the channels? or films subtitles in Indonesia?

There is any Indonesian Embassy close to your town? I mean I know Indonesian people living abroad sometimes they get together on the Indonesian Embassy for lunch and have a good time together, probably could be good if he start to listening a little bit bahasa Indonesia around.

To be honest, if you are planning to move to Indonesia on the future I guess if he really wants, could be very easy to pick up the language when you would be living here, I guess is not easy at all to learning a language without practice and listen it daily!!! He could be probably learning more in 6 months living here than in one year trying to learning from his country!!!

When I was learning Indonesian (I am terrible for languages!!!) I though I would never could learning the Indonesian numbers!!! were very difficult for me that time to remember so many numbers, I never followed clases, I learned it traveling by public buses, going to buy at traditional market, sitting on a warung drinking coffe and talking to locals, having a few books and learning at home.......

My Bahasa Indonesia now is not very good or perfect, but I found it was very easy to learning from here or at least people have a lot opportunities to learning easily because Indonesian people are very friendly and very talketive as well, hahaha I got bored to hear, mau ke mana? dari mana? sudah mandi? sudah makan? sudan kawin? sudah punya anak? dari mana? tingal di mana? punya rumah di sini? hahaha I guess these are the kind of questions many people learning first!!!!

I miss the old times traveling by bemo!!! I loved it!!
          Thanks Shinta,
          My son speaks enough to get by, informal daily conversation. They don't speak bahasa to each other. For some reasons my son learns it better than his father
          No tv channels. films very few, I will start looking for short movies with subtitles. My son used to love upin ipin, he learned bahasa a lot from it.
          Are you talking about the bemo in Manggarai? In the 90s? I miss Manggarai...

We live far from the embassy. I am the only Indonesian in the Masjid that we go to. It's a bit difficult to find somebody to practice with.
          Last edited by SueHassan; 21-02-13, 09:06.

Comment

Originally posted by nsenada View Post
            Talk bahasa Indonesia with him... all the time! Until a month ago, my wife and me always talked English at home. Now, I try to speak as much bahasa Indonesia as I can with her and in a month my bahasa Indonesia really improved. And as mentioned by Shinta, if you got the possibility watch programs with bahasa Indonesia subtitles or watch the program in bahasa Indonesia. It works for me.
            Thank you nsenada,
            I used a book: learning bahasa Indonesia.. I guess it was the wrong approach for what he learned in the book he didn't get a chance to use... like asking for directions, in a restaurant etc.etc. I will start talking to him in bahasa, it will be awkward, I mostly speak Javanese. My son picks up his bahasa from his cousins who don't speak Javanese.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
              my best way to learn language is thru songs and movies. but before that you need to know some words first and make sure the singer pronounce the lyric clearly. there are some singers that sounds like mumbling.
              Thanks naughtygab
              He does listen to songs, mainly in Malay, definitely different pronunciation, but it's close. I need to start looking for Indonesian songs.
              [SIZE=2]Any recommendations on movies? Im looking for laskar pelangi, I can't find it anywhere.
              [/SIZE]

Comment

I'm the same way. Hopelessly mired in English, synoptic connections seem to be fixed. Should have started when I was 2 years old like my daughter. She's fluent.

Comment

You can try http://www.4shared.com/

Laskar Pelangi is on it, I'm not sure if it's the complete version
                  There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over(FZ)

Comment

There is a small green book available at most bookstores called something like "learn 100 words to say 1000 things in Indonesian" it is a good starting point for the basics

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                      I'm the same way. Hopelessly mired in English, synoptic connections seem to be fixed. Should have started when I was 2 years old like my daughter. She's fluent.
                      Since you live in Jakarta, your daughter will speak bahasa with no "accent". My son gets teased a lot, they said he speaks "medhok", bahasa with heavy Javanese accent..

Comment

Originally posted by nsenada View Post
                        You can try http://www.4shared.com/

Laskar Pelangi is on it, I'm not sure if it's the complete version
                        I was looking for "The rainbow troops", the one with the subtitles. I guess I will have to get it from Amazon, it's out this coming Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by vanuatu View Post
                          There is a small green book available at most bookstores called something like "learn 100 words to say 1000 things in Indonesian" it is a good starting point for the basics
                          Thanks Vanuatu,
                          I found the green book, Instant Indonesian, we will give it a try.

Comment

Sue, I think you should have your family members learn the way that competitive memory people do...

http://www.memrise.com/course/26809/...ies-indonesia/

There are quite a few free programs available on memrise, and they work extremely well. I personally think that they're better than Rosetta Stone and they're also much more rewarding. They essentially make you "plant a garden" of memories. It sort of has a competitive element that is reinforced by delicious mnemonic devices.

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                              Sue, I think you should have your family members learn the way that competitive memory people do...

http://www.memrise.com/course/26809/...ies-indonesia/

There are quite a few free programs available on memrise, and they work extremely well. I personally think that they're better than Rosetta Stone and they're also much more rewarding. They essentially make you "plant a garden" of memories. It sort of has a competitive element that is reinforced by delicious mnemonic devices.
                              [SIZE=2]Jazakallah [/SIZE]Dan,
                              I couldn't get the audio to work. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X