No announcement yet.

Fish name in Indonesian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A relative of the gold banded snapper can also be found and is called tola (pristipomoides filamentosus/rosy snapper). It has many of the features of the gold banded snapper but doesn't have the distinctive yellow stripe below the eyes and on the snout. It also has a more brownish upper back.

Still a very good eating fish and as the gumuru, the tola has a sweet flavor and a soft medium flesh with a low oil and most content.
    Last edited by atlantis; 28-12-13, 09:11.

Comment

• 1003025_4935548886463_500732950_n.jpg

Anyone know what kind of Indonesian fish these are? and if there edible?

There a salt water fish from west Sumatra...I don't know much more about them than that, even how big they are?...im guessing they are rather small and might be some sort of cleaner fish, you know the ones that live on other fish or something similar.

Very weird fish.
      Last edited by mick mentawai; 28-12-13, 10:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by mick mentawai View Post
        [ATTACH]15698[/ATTACH]

Anyone know what kind of Indonesian fish these are? and if there edible?

There a salt water fish from west Sumatra...I don't know much more about them than that, even how big they are?...im guessing they are rather small and might be some sort of cleaner fish, you know the ones that live on other fish or something similar.

Very weird fish.
        I believe they are called Satyrichthys welchi, a kind of Robust Armour Gurnard, Mick. This demersal fish is usually rather small (15 to 20cm) as you hinted and a deep sea fish.

Here is another pic of the specimen: http://www.kulfoto.com/interesting-t...rmored-gurnard

I believe that they are edible but would make a very poor eating due to the fact that these fishes typically have very little meat on them and a lot of small bones. If you cook any of them, don't necessary invite me, ok?
        Last edited by atlantis; 28-12-13, 13:22.

Comment

• Cheers Atlantis, thats the fish, ugly looking things.

Comment

• i love eating ikan, especially if the dish is ikan bakar. I love also pecel lele but not sure if this is Indonesian food.
            http://ny.pe

Comment

• Just a word of caution about "Ikan Dori" or so-called "John Dory" sold in most supermarkets. In almost all cases this will NOT be true salt water fish John Dory (Zeus species) but more likely the totally unrelated freshwater Mekong Catfish (Pangasius species).

I worked for some time in the seafood industry located in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam and saw Pangasius being processed and exported under all kinds of names - the most common being "Dory" (Cream Dory, John Dory etc).

Pangasius also go under the names Basa, Tra and Pacific Dory. See this article: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...ory-fish-scam/

True John Dory is an excellent eating fish with flaky texture and rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Pangasius however is farm raised in fresh water, has a mushy texture and is quite bland but often has a "muddy" flavour and contains very little omega-3 (because it is fed processed fish food - there is is no marine algae or phytoplankton in it's food chain). During processing at the Vietnamese factories the fish fillets are tumbled in a mixture of water and phosphate to enhance yield before freezing - it is not uncommon to gain as much as 40% weight during this process.

Suggest if you are buying "Dory" thinking it is the genuine saltwater article you should check the label (is it from Vietnam?) or ask the store attendant "ikan ini berasal dari mana?"
              Walk quietly and carry a bloody big stick... (Teddy Roosevelt didnt say "bloody" did he?)

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if AW or any of the other fast food chains that use dory for "fish filet sandwich" can even answer that question.

Comment

• Originally posted by martindo View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if AW or any of the other fast food chains that use dory for "fish filet sandwich" can even answer that question.
                  I think they can. It's a well known fact that ikan dori is at best imported from VietNam and at worse locally produced. Most package of ikan dori sold in supermarkets are labelled pangasius sp. and some give hints on the origin.

In the months/years to come you may well not even find the Vietnamese dori in the supermarket shelves. Most hotels in my city who hold companies seminar and governmental business target this fish which is appreciated for both its cost (hotel) and taste (poorly food educated customers).

Comment

• Originally posted by martindo View Post
                    Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if AW or any of the other fast food chains that use dory for "fish filet sandwich" can even answer that question.
                    Not sure what fish A&W use (they will know) but I have some business with them so will find out when I next meet them.

McDonalds deleted the Filet'o'Fish in Indonesia but I do know they were previously using Hoki from New Zealand and sometimes Hake from South America (they stopped using Cod about 20 years ago when it became over-fished).
                    Walk quietly and carry a bloody big stick... (Teddy Roosevelt didnt say "bloody" did he?)

Comment

• Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                      I think they can. It's a well known fact that ikan dori is at best imported from VietNam and at worse locally produced. Most package of ikan dori sold in supermarkets are labelled pangasius sp. and some give hints on the origin.

In the months/years to come you may well not even find the Vietnamese dori in the supermarket shelves. Most hotels in my city who hold companies seminar and governmental business target this fish which is appreciated for both its cost (hotel) and taste (poorly food educated customers).
                      What surprised me was a fresh fish display in Ranch Market (Kemang) with a sign saying "John Dory" (no indication of origin). It was clearly Pangasius and I am wondering how many Bule eagerly bought this very cheap John Dory thinking it was the real thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by BULE_NYASAR View Post
                        What surprised me was a fresh fish display in Ranch Market (Kemang) with a sign saying "John Dory" (no indication of origin). It was clearly Pangasius and I am wondering how many Bule eagerly bought this very cheap John Dory thinking it was the real thing?
                        That's interesting. In my city, the supermarket are at least honest about that when they sell any frozen fish in its original package. I can't remember any said package who did not specify the scientific name. I've been selling some imported and local pangasius to a well known chain of supermarket in my city and all packs sent to them were always properly labelled by the importer/fishery
                        However, I realize that if the original packs were properly labelled, I was sometimes selling dori in packs of 5kg and then the supermarket was repacking it in smaller packs, with obviously most of the information disappearing.

This being said I doubt that many manadonese or many expats would even know what a John Dory is and what a pangasius is. Amazingly, I have convinced a few diving resort owners to add dori to their shopping list because it was NOT a John Dory which is a coastal/reef marine fish.

Comment

Working...
                        X