No announcement yet.

Love message

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's sure every language breath of the culture of the country he come from.
    Indonesia have his own way to SEE love and by this way have his OWN way and word meaning to express it.

After take a big breath and try to make thing in order in my mind (you can't imagine the mess it have there!)...
    Is it possible the culture & religion of (most) Indonesian, where all physical attention are prohibited, have make the "sensual desire" not being considered as a part of love?

For resume the resume of the resume....
    Indonesian don't like to talk directly, so they will use any other word for tell what they really mean and by this way will see people telling directly what they feel being tactless.
    Cinta = Romantic love with low meaning on physical attraction
    Sayang = any other kind of love toward 2 person
    Suka = More likely for object or for show a level of appreciation to someone

it's still unclear from me how do they express the friendship "like" (like in: Hey buddy, I like you)
    Last edited by PhilippeD; 25-05-12, 13:31.
    La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
      It's sure every language breath of the culture of the country he come from.
      Indonesia have his own way to SEE love and by this way have his OWN way and word meaning to express it.

After take a big breath and try to make thing in order in my mind (you can't imagine the mess it have there!)...
      Is it possible the culture & religion of (most) Indonesian, where all physical attention are prohibited, have make the "sensual desire" not being considered as a part of love?
      We're not that averse toward the sexual aspect of love, it's just that using sayang implies that you truly love someone regardless of her/his physical traits. It's like "soul mate" sounds better than "sex mate".

For resume the resume of the resume....
      Indonesian don't like to talk directly, so they will use any other word for tell what they really mean and by this way will see people telling directly what they feel being tactless.
      Cinta = Romantic love with low meaning on physical attraction
      Sayang = any other kind of love toward 2 person
      Suka = More likely for object or for show a level of appreciation to someone
      The current generation seems to have a more open attitude toward sex, so for them cinta is probably far less tacky.

it's still unclear from me how do they express the friendship "like" (like in: Hey buddy, I like you)
      Not everything has to be spelled out. Your attitude and gesture are more than enough to convey friendship.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
        I think it's partly cultural. To suggest anything other than romantic/platonic love would be considered somewhat indelicate, perhaps crass or vulgar even. It's the same reason why one doesn't see a lot of naturalism in the art forms here. It probably even predates Islam in the archipelago. I don't think physical attention is prohibited per se, but don't expect to see something like Botticelli's Birth of Venus in the art galleries here, or any other fat and naked people one sees a lot of in Renaissance paintings. In other words, Eros isn't celebrated. Two other words you can try, i.e. kasih and kekasih. They're equally tacky, but less so than cinta. Saying kasih ibu would be normal, but kasihku untukmu to a lover would be barf-inducing.

The closest one can come to being somewhat "naughty" would be to use asmara, as in "Saya suka berasmara dana dengan Alia." It's of Malay (probably more Malaysian) origin, but easily understood by everyone as being somewhat cheeky and mildly indecent.
        Last edited by lone_ranger; 25-05-12, 15:51.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
          and storge is friendship love.. like ehm....... teletubies ..
          Like Tinky Winky with the man purse?
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by lone_ranger View Post
            The closest one can come to being somewhat "naughty" would be to use asmara, as in "Saya suka berasmara dana dengan Alia." It's of Malay (probably more Malaysian) origin, but easily understood by everyone as being somewhat cheeky and mildly indecent.
            Berasmara dana means : bercinta ?
            Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Alia View Post
              Berasmara dana means : bercinta ?
              Bercinta with a very subtle hint of perhaps doing possibly more, i.e. something physical, that is.
              sigpic

Comment

Well, bercinta is often used as the translation for "making love" a.k.a. sex.

To describe fun between two people that doesn't include sex (yet still implies intimacy) we can use bercengkerama.

Comment

To Jobey:

My conclusion is: Don't translate a love letter from english to indonesian, the cultural difference is too much big and it suck.

Now you have all the possible vocabulary, write anything you want and be subtle ~ Indonesian don't like when it's direct.
                  ~You must see the full page love letter I receive everyday for asking to repair something on a boat that I resume on a sentence of 5 word!!!~
                  Let her use her imagination for understand your real meaning (despite all the trouble it can come out from this).
                  La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Aduuuh lebaaaay huehehehe...

Originally posted by lone_ranger View Post
                    For classy, some of the lyrics by Oddie Agam are very, very good. A veritable genius at love "poetry." Sinetron actresses need not apply, though. Need a Malaysian diva to really do them justice.
                    I find Katon Bagaskara also really good when it comes to love lyrics.

Comment

Although words exist in Bahasa Indonesia to translate the English, it sounds weird and in Indonesian we call it "lebai" (too much), because in our Asian culture, we show love, not say love. If you want classy, may I suggest a poem by the prominent poet Sapardi Djoko Darmono. It is not physical as the E.E. Cummings; that's how the classy Indonesians like it.

aku ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana. dengan kata yang tak sempat diucapkan kayu kepada api yang menjadikannya abu.

aku ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana. dengan isyarat yang tak sempat disampaikan awan kepada hujan yang menjadikannya tiada.
                      -Sapardi Djoko Damono-

in its English official translation by John H. Mc Glynn:
                      I want to love you simply
                      in words not spoken:
                      Tinder to the flame which transforms it to ash
                      I want to love you simply

In signs not expressed:

Clouds to the rain which make them evanescent

Comment

Originally posted by HumanisSekuler View Post
                        aku ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana. dengan kata yang tak sempat diucapkan kayu kepada api yang menjadikannya abu.

aku ingin mencintaimu dengan sederhana. dengan isyarat yang tak sempat disampaikan awan kepada hujan yang menjadikannya tiada.
                        -Sapardi Djoko Damono-
                        What a beautiful beautiful poem, with deep meaning.

Sapardi Djoko Darmono really shows his class..
                        Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
                          or you can try the javanese version ( but i can only make it in ngoko )
                          aku wis ngerti nek kowe ki tunggale gawe aku. dhewe mungkin asal asale bedho mung dhewe ki podho. awak kalih mung jiwone siji. kuwi lo artine pernikahan, lan kita yo wis siap sa durunge dhewe ketemu. dhewe ki bakal di dadekno siji. kowe ki sing sing paling apik sing tau kedaden ning uripku, aku tresno karo kowe.

hope that helps
                          I'm not really sure why, but that javanese part got me laugh so hard XD

Is it just me, or anyone local here feels that when we use Bahasa Indonesia for love message like above sounds a bit ...uhhm... norak ? Whilst English sounds more classy.

Okay, probably its just me.
                          I think I'm the same, dunno why tho :/

Do you even lift?

Comment

Is it just me, or anyone local here feels that when we use Bahasa Indonesia for love message like above sounds a bit ...uhhm... norak ? Whilst English sounds more classy. Okay, probably its just me.
                            If a rose was a rose by any other name would it cease to smell as sweet ??

Comment

Originally posted by jobey View Post
                              Selamat sore,

Thank you for reading my message. I would like to express my feeling to my fiance that is from Jawa, but I cannot even speak bahasa. Even if I am learning I won't be good enough to translate what I want to say to her.

If you guys could help me and give me the closest translation possible to the following text that would be awesome. I know it is hard to translate. I just want to avoid losing the meaning.

"I deeply know that you are the one for me. We might be from different origin but we are the same. Two bodies for one soul. That is what marriage is and that is what we were already before we met. One unique soul that fate planned to join again. You are the best thing that happened in my life. I love you from the bottom of my heart."

I hope you can help me.

terima kasih

Jo
                              i don't try to translate word by word. and i prefer to use a free translation with similar definition :

" Walaupun kita dari tempat yang berbeda namun kita tetaplah sama, cuma kamu Wanita yang sangat aku kenal. Pernikahan adalah dua insan yang menyatu baik jiwa dan raga, dan kita seperti sudah menikah walaupun kita belum pernah bertemu. sepertinya kita ditakdirkan untuk bersama. cuma kamu wanita yang paling berharga dalam hidupku, aku sayang kamu dan sangat mencintaimu."
                              Macarena Macarena baila baila ela ela Macarena Macarena all night long!

Comment

Working...
                              X