Love message

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
    Injun, do you think that can explain why, despite my wife ask me to, I never told her sayang but only cinta???
    If you are used to say cinta, it is okay. Don't change it, or else she will feel something wrong happened. Hehehe....

Sometimes, the word "sayang" means deeper than "cinta". "Cinta" can be said once in a while, in a special moment, but it has to be sincere. That's my opinion.
    I smile.

Comment

Cinta = Love
      Sayang (noun) = Dear or my dearest
      Sayang (verb) = to care
      Sayang (noun) = pity
      Cinta is never used to call you loved one. Sayang is ok.

Comment

I am speechless, and sorry I can't help you to write the letter....pffffffff....I really want that someone will do the same for me

*lebay...

Comment

Originally posted by wombat View Post
          Cinta = Love
          Sayang (noun) = Dear or my dearest
          Sayang (verb) = to care
          Sayang (noun) = pity
          Cinta is never used to call you loved one. Sayang is ok.
          Gooooosh! I'm in trouble!!!
          What it mean if my wife always call me cin' ???
          La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Gooooosh! I'm in trouble!!!
            What it mean if my wife always call me cin' ???

Don't worry, Philippe, Cinta is indeed sometimes used towards others. I heard a Batak girl say it to a Batak friend of mine at a Wedding reception (a Batak one, no less) as I was standing next to him...'Halo Cintaaa'..she said.

I remember because it did strike me as being the first time I'd ever heard someone use 'cinta' in that way.
            'Don't be concerned about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia'. - Charles M Schultz

Comment

yeah cinta is ok. but i think it sounds a bit tacky.
              Imagine, it's POSSIBLE. Dream boundless...

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
                @ausdag: as much as i could thumbs up!!!!!!!! you are a better javanese than those who grew up in java ..
                Oopps, sorry naughtygab, I must have missed your post
                Haha..not really..I got a bit pusing after only two sentences
                'Don't be concerned about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia'. - Charles M Schultz

Comment

The language who is the most developed for express all form of love & affection is the old greek (for what I know!)
                  It split it in 4 category (thanks google for refreshing my memory - "greek words for love")
                  1- Agape: unconditional love, meaning a deep sense of "true love". It also used for describe the unconditional love of god.
                  2- Eros: passionate love, with sensual desire and longing.
                  3- Philia: friendship as a dispassionate virtuous love. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community
                  4- Storge: Affection ~ It is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring

French, despite being a very precise language is extremely week in matter of expressing love, only one word for express everything: aimer (don't even have a word for girlfriend/boyfriend)

English and Bahasa have two word that have very similar meaning: like/suka & love/cinta

From what people tell in this tread, I'm very surprise to hear that it seem "tacky" for indonesian to express there feeling with "cinta", while it have plenty of song/soap using it.
                  So... now I'm guessing: Does Cinta would have a meaning more close to "agape" (true love ~ not really passionate) and Sayang more close of "eros" (passionate with sensual desire)???

note: From "eros" came the word "erotic", but their meaning is quite different. "Erotic" exclude the passionate love you will find into the meaning of "eros", and keep only the meaning of sensual desire.
                  La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

[FONT=verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Sayang is more general, and can be applied to both lovers and immediate family. Using sayang to express one’s affection for a friend (whether male or female) would be somewhat odd. Suka would be more appropriate here. Cinta is old Malay, and is used exclusively between two lovers, but not on an erotic level, and even then it is usually used to achieve a dramatic effect in a song or theatrical performance (in this I concur with Injun’s pragmatic aversion to the use of this word to express everyday love). There is no equivalent for Eros in the language, apart from some unsavoury slang equivalents.

So, to summarise, sayang would be closer to Agape. There is no equivalent for Philia, with suka being the closest equivalent, while Storge and Agape would be represented by sayang. But, as in all issues of language, there may be exceptions to the general rule, so don't take all of this as gospel.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                    Last edited by lone_ranger; 25-05-12, 10:06.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lone_ranger View Post
                      [SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Sayang is more general, and can be applied to both lovers and immediate family. Using sayang to express one’s affection for a friend (whether male or female) would be somewhat odd. Suka would be more appropriate here. Cinta is old Malay, and is used exclusively between two lovers, but not on an erotic level, and even then it is usually used to achieve a dramatic effect in a song or theatrical performance (in this I concur with Injun’s pragmatic aversion to the use of this word to express everyday love). There is no equivalent for Eros in the language, apart from some unsavoury slang equivalents. So, to summarise, sayang would be closer to Agape. There is no equivalent for Philia, with suka being the closest equivalent, while Storge and Agape would be represented by sayang.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                      I'm 99% agree with you.
                      I smile.

Comment

English and Bahasa have two word that have very similar meaning: like/suka & love/cinta
                        If we say "I like you", what does it mean? Does it only mean that we have a special deep feeling to someone?

Originally posted by ausdag View Post
                        Don't worry, Philippe, Cinta is indeed sometimes used towards others. I heard a Batak girl say it to a Batak friend of mine at a Wedding reception (a Batak one, no less) as I was standing next to him...'Halo Cintaaa'..she said.

I remember because it did strike me as being the first time I'd ever heard someone use 'cinta' in that way.

Hahahaha.... It's not being used only by Bataknese. It's a common word nowadays. More like slang word to call a friend.

"Hi, cintaaaa..."
                        "Hi, cin...."
                        "Say" (from sayang)
                        I smile.

Comment

Languages change. A word not used by my generation can certainly be used by the next.

The three main words to express affection in Indonesian is cinta, sayang, and suka (or senang). None of the three corresponds strictly with the English love, with suka being very close to the English like. But, if a man looks a woman straight in the eye and speaks solemnly, he in fact can use any of the three and convey romantic love. Why? Because it's uncharactheristic for an Indonesian (at least of my generation) to express affection literally, unless he/she has a romantic interest.

Cinta takes a special place because in the context of man & woman it is an absolutely unambiguous expression of romantic love (if spoken seriously). Yet if you know anything about Indonesians, you'd know that being direct is not our strongest suit.

Other than the obvious meaning of romantic love:
                          Sayang is used between family members, from master to pet (and vice versa), from owner to property, and from giver to receiver in charity. Cinta is used toward one's homeland, and combined with kasih (cinta kasih) it is applied to any living being. Suka is applied to any object, including activity, clothing, and food.

Comment

The language who is the most developed for express all form of love & affection is the old greek (for what I know!)
                            It split it in 4 category (thanks google for refreshing my memory - "greek words for love")
                            1- Agape: unconditional love, meaning a deep sense of "true love". It also used for describe the unconditional love of god.
                            2- Eros: passionate love, with sensual desire and longing.
                            3- Philia: friendship as a dispassionate virtuous love. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community
                            4- Storge: Affection ~ It is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring

French, despite being a very precise language is extremely week in matter of expressing love, only one word for express everything: aimer (don't even have a word for girlfriend/boyfriend)

From what people tell in this tread, I'm very surprise to hear that it seem "tacky" for indonesian to express there feeling with "cinta", while it have plenty of song/soap using it.
                            So... now I'm guessing: Does Cinta would have a meaning more close to "agape" (true love ~ not really passionate) and Sayang more close of "eros" (passionate with sensual desire)???

note: From "eros" came the word "erotic", but their meaning is quite different. "Erotic" exclude the passionate love you will find into the meaning of "eros", and keep only the meaning of sensual desire.
                            There is also 'Asmara' . Perhaps 'Eros' would be described using the word 'asmara' hence the verb mengasmarai. Although at first glance it seems it may also be just synonymous with cinta kasih, it does seem to slant more toward romantic, passionate love.

Comment

oh well, sometimes when i have to use those say cin words i'd finish the words

hi say....ur ( or sometime hi say..ur asem yang udah di anggurin seminggu)
                              for me personally , the word 'cin' is really yuck . could never use it in real day life .. can do it on BBM or text messg or email, but not in conversation ..

Phill : i think you mix between storge and philial. the real word of philial has something to do with bloodline ...so it's love toward family/relatives. and storge is friendship love.. like ehm....... teletubies ..

Originally posted by Debora View Post

"Hi, cintaaaa..."
                              "Hi, cin...."
                              "Say" (from sayang)
                              dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

oh well, sometimes when i have to use those say cin words i'd finish the words

hi say....ur ( or sometime hi say..ur asem yang udah di anggurin seminggu)
                                Hahahahaa.....

for me personally , the word 'cin' is really yuck . could never use it in real day life .. can do it on BBM or text messg or email, but not in conversation ..
                                Actually, it's "cyinnn...."
                                I don't use it often too, but with some female friends, we do use that word into our conversation.
                                I smile.

Comment

Working...
                                X