What do you think about 'GALAU' ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about 'GALAU' ?

Could you share your definition, perception, and/or interpretation of the Indonesian word 'galau'? And do we have a somewhat expression/translation of it in English? Thank you!

am not so sure about the correct translation for that word , but let me try to explain how it feels . imagine you just broke up with your girlfriend or boyfriend , and you realize that your job is in a stuck position, you're going nowhere at least for the next 10 years, you feel there is no hope at all, totally sad and desperate.
    you wish to cry , but there are no tears that could come out. ...... so that is what's interpretated as galau. at least that is what i know.
    hope that help.. if you could find the correct english word for that, please share..
    dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Lex dePraxis View Post
      Could you share your definition, perception, and/or interpretation of the Indonesian word 'galau'? And do we have a somewhat expression/translation of it in English? Thank you!
      If you google it, Galau means "a state of confusion". As an Indonesian, I'll say...it means: Unsettled, restless, and yes confused.

Use in sentence e.g.: Pikiran saya sedang galau (My mind is unsettled).
      [FONT=palatino linotype]Fashionably sensitive but too cool to care. [/FONT]

Comment

The closest translation I can think of is "troubled". Galau is a state of confusion and turbulence that's sometimes likened to a storm (badai). The English word troubled is currently used to describe a state of mind, and one of its meanings is also turbulent (as in "troubled waters").

Comment

Back in my uni days, my crush queued right next to me in the Alfamart (the queue was from left to right) and after minutes she told her friend who was also shopping with her, "Hatiku galau nih". Not sure what she meant with that, maybe she wanted to flee with the things unpaid.
          Last edited by ricky_id; 10-11-11, 22:27.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
            am not so sure about the correct translation for that word , but let me try to explain how it feels . imagine you just broke up with your girlfriend or boyfriend , and you realize that your job is in a stuck position, you're going nowhere at least for the next 10 years, you feel there is no hope at all, totally sad and desperate.
            you wish to cry , but there are no tears that could come out. ...... so that is what's interpretated as galau. at least that is what i know.
            hope that help.. if you could find the correct english word for that, please share..
            How about melancholically confused?

Comment

"KW neg rep me yesterday, it used to make me galau every time he did it, but not anymore."
              Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

YOU, neg rep?? NO WAY!!!

Originally posted by Alia View Post
                "KW neg rep me yesterday, it used to make me galau every time he did it, but not anymore."

Comment

Galau means "Feeling so BLUE"

hehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by benederlof View Post
                    YOU, neg rep?? NO WAY!!!
                    KW does that.

Comment

Originally posted by benederlof View Post
                      YOU, neg rep?? NO WAY!!!
                      KW is a red-brick trigger-happy, I can recall at least five regular users that have fallen victim to the monkey king's wrath.

Comment

my friend said its an "uneasy" feeling. i think thats because people cant describe or name what/how their feelings. as we know there are so many emotions such as angry, sad, disappoint, happy, etc and people should be aware of themselves feelings but sometimes they just dont know what the feelings name. "Galau" itself regard to unpleasant/negative feeling.

Comment

Working...
                        X