Current Visa Situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Visa Situation

I am hoping that someone actually in Indonesia has more information than I do here in the United States concerning the current situation with visas to Indonesia.

I have previously lived and worked in Indonesia for 30 years but have been in the United States the past 10 years. My wife and I decided to move back to Indonesia last February, however she and my son traveled to Indonesia first. I stayed back to sell our house in Florida. I then got stuck in the United States due to the COVID-19 pandemic; so my wife, son and I have been separated for four months now due to the Indonesian government stopping the issuing of visas.

I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about when Indonesia may allow separated family members to reunite? I am at the point of writing to request an exemption. The Indonesian Consulate here in the United States tells me that it is possible to get an exemption in certain circumstances, but they do not tell me how to get it. I have a very long history of working with the Indonesian government on various projects, as well as assisting with the rebuilding of homes in Aceh after the 2001 tsunami and in Yogyakarta after the 2006 earthquake, as well as funding of many other social projects in Indonesia over the years. I am no newcomer to Indonesia and have lived in Indonesia half my life, I'd like to request an exemption so that I can get a visa and reunite with my family.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who may have a better idea of what is going on and if there is any rumors when Indonesia might start issuing visas again.

Thanks,

Erick Vendeni

Originally posted by Erick1234 View Post
    (1) ... I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about when Indonesia may allow separated family members to reunite? ...

(2) The Indonesian Consulate here in the United States tells me that it is possible to get an exemption in certain circumstances, but they do not tell me how to get it ...

(1) It seems the Indonesian government will allow American tourists in general to come to Indonesia very soon . As soon as I hear more about , I will tell you .

(2) As far as I know you could only come to Indonesia if you have a KITAS or KITAP .

-------------------------------------------------

From https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...t-tourism.html (July 8 , 2020)
    The Jakarta Post
    By : Mardika Parama

[National flag carrier Garuda Indonesia plans to open direct flights to Denpasar, Bali, from the United States, France and India in an attempt to boost the country's tourism that has been battered by the pandemic...]

--------------------------------------------------

From https://www.suara.com/news/2020/07/0...asuk-indonesia (July 09 , 2020)
    By : Pebriansyah Ariefana | Yosea Arga Pramudita

[... The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Kemlu) Protocol and Consular Director General Andy Rachmianto said the government had opened the entrance for foreigners to Indonesia since early May... Foreigners who may enter Indonesia are those who have diplomatic affairs or hold a Limited Stay Permit Card (KITAS) or a Permanent Stay Permit Card (KITAP). ..., they also have to conduct PCR tests in their respective countries ... After they enter, they must be 14 days in isolation ...]
    Last edited by marcus; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Marcus, thank you so much for the information. I appreciate very much.

I have had very many KITAS and KITAP over the years but do not currently have one since I have been back in the states the past 10 years.

I am trying to get a Visa Sosial Budaya to rejoin my family and then apply for my KITAS. Hopefully they will allow people to get Sosial Budaya visas soon since they are thinking of allowing tourists in. I did write a letter in Indonesian to KEMENKUMHAM in Indonesian requesting consideration to allow me to rejoin my family, I have not received a response yet.

I would appreciate it if you let me know if you hear anything new.

Thanks,

Erick Venden

Comment

When Indonesia opens its borders , I suggest you to get a Limited Stay Visa instead , because I heard of a case where one Kantor Imigrasi said that there is no more conversion from Sosial Budaya to KITAS (although I think this specific Kantor was wrong , it may be worth not taking any risk) .

The "telex" visa for the Limited Stay Visa started (few years ago) being done online without the need to go to Jakarta .

https://visa-online.imigrasi.go.id/info.xhtml (online request of the telex visa)

http://izintinggal.imigrasi.go.id/IT...an_vitas.xhtml (online reporting for people who entered Indonesia with Limited Stay Visa)
        Last edited by marcus; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Hmm, the instruction from the Indonesian Consulate here in the U.S. is to get a Sosial Budaya Visa and then convert it. I will check with the consulate again when they allow me to actually start processing the visa. The other issue I am running into is that after three months of processing my wife still does not have her KTP. The kantor kabupaten keeps delaying issuing it. Not exactly sure what their problem is. I will need her KTP to get my visa.

Thanks,,

Erick

Comment

Originally posted by Erick1234 View Post
            Hmm, the instruction from the Indonesian Consulate here in the U.S. is to get a Sosial Budaya Visa and then convert it ...

This was also our recommendation some years ago . The problem may be what I said , there may be some local immigration officers who push people to get the Limited Stay Visa instead (maybe because it means less workload for them and more money for Immigration - cost US$150 + Rp200k more) .
            The good news is that , although a little confusing , the online process seems to have the advantage of a simpler KITAS approval process as it is first approved by Jakarta , so the local Immigration quickly approves it too .
            Last edited by marcus; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Thanks Marcus, that sounds like the way to go. I certainly appreciate all your kind help.

Comment

It looks like Bali will start accepting foreigners next September .

-------------------------------

From https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...ostviewed&pg=/ (24 Jul 2020)

The Jakarta Post
                Title : Bali to reopen to international tourists on Sept. 11
                By News Desk

[Bali Governor I Wayan Koster has announced that the world famous resort island will reopen its borders for international tourists on Sept. 11 under strict health protocol...

The governor explained that his administration had set up health protocols at tourist destinations and other public places to curb transmission of the highly contagious coronavirus. He would also require international tourists to be tested negative for COVID-19 prior to their trips.

"International tourists would be required to provide negative COVID-19 test results that are valid for two weeks in accordance with the circular issued by the transportation minister," he said ...]

Comment

Hi Marcus, thanks for the information. Kementrian Luar Negeri is currently processing a visa for me for humanitarian reasons to reunite family. Hopefully I will have a visa in had in a few weeks.

Comment

You better ask your wife to contact Jakarta's Immigration Directorate to know if the Immigration at the Indonesian airport will let you in . I say that because the fact that you got a visa in an Embassy doesn't mean that you will be allowed to enter Indonesia . And also , if you are allowed to enter , will you be able to extend the visa , or convert the visa into a KITAS , or if you have to leave Indonesia , will you be able to get another in Singapore or in Malaysia ?

Just now , the normal Immigration rule is that only KITAS & KITAP can be extended .
                    Last edited by marcus; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Marcus, thanks for your response. This visa for humanitarian reasons is being coordinated through the immigration officials at Kementrian Luar Negeri Jakarta as well as other officials in other government offices in Jakarta, they will be doing the approval of the visa, not the Indonesian consulate in the U.S. The Indonesian consulate will only be issuing the visa. Both my wife and I have written letters in Indonesian to the Jakarta Immigration officials. They are aware that this visa will be turned into a KITAS upon arrival in Indonesia. Both myself and my wife have been in contact with the immigration officials in Jakarta.

Comment

Very good to know that Erick1234 . It is the first time in more than 10 years in this Forum that I hear somebody getting a visa due to humanitarian reason .

Comment

Well it's not approved yet. We will see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X