Foreign Freelancer work in jakarta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Freelancer work in jakarta

hello everyone, im new to this forum.... i just wondering is there anyone who doing a freelance work in jakarta either as a graphic designer, IT & Tech field, or others..

Be informed that it is illegal for a foreigner to do freelancer work in Indonesia .

The Indonesian Work Law only allows a foreigner to work when hired by an Indonesia based company that will sponsor the foreigner for a Work Permit & Work Visa/Work KITAS . And only foreigners with at least 5 years work experience are eligible . Non compliance with these requirements is considered a crime (up to 5 years in jail + fine of up to Rp500 million) .

Comment

But it is not illegal for Indonesian residents, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by angelicajames View Post
        But it is not illegal for Indonesian residents, isn't it?

The exceptions are only for :
        - foreigners holding KITAS (or KITAP) sponsored by the Indonesian spouse ,
        - foreigners holding ex-Indonesian KITAP , and
        - young Australians holding Indonesian Work & Holiday Visa

For the majority of foreigners residing in Indonesia it is illegal to do freelancer work (including foreigners holding Work Visa/ Work KITAS/Work KITAP) .

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post

The exceptions are only for :
          - foreigners holding KITAS (or KITAP) sponsored by the Indonesian spouse ,
          - foreigners holding ex-Indonesian KITAP , and
          - young Australians holding Indonesian Work & Holiday Visa

For the majority of foreigners residing in Indonesia it is illegal to do freelancer work (including foreigners holding Work Visa/ Work KITAS/Work KITAP) .

I became a spouse kitas holder last year after I married my wife and have tried to read the immigration and manpower laws but are so confusing. This definitely helps to breathe a bit easier since
          I've been trying to set up a freelancing situation as a photographer/writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsoepraba View Post
            (1) ... have tried to read the immigration and manpower laws but are so confusing.

(2) This definitely helps to breathe a bit easier ...

(1) In my view they are not confusing but the problem I see is that Indonesian Manpower Department seems not willing to "implement" Article 61 of the Immigration Law UU no.6 Year 2011 , so affected people end up without any official interpretation of the rules involved .

(2) In reality my answer above should not be considered that easily . I put those words just to simplify the exceptions (already assuming the member who asked was not included in the exceptions , I would have to clarify that further if she/he said later she/he was included in the exceptions) .

As you are one of those exceptions , let me clarify now :
            What I understand (from what some Manpower officers already told few years ago in a meeting with PERCA Indonesia - an association of spouses of foreigners) you should not work as freelancer theoretically but insteady work tied to your Indonesian spouse's small company (in practice it would be similar , but I think this is also benefic to you as it also solves the problem of tax - and I think your family ends up paying less income tax too) .

You better discuss your specific case with the Manpower Department before start working as illegal working is a crime in Indonesia .

http://tka-online.kemnaker.go.id/kontak.asp (how to contact Manpower)

-------------------------------------------------------

UU no.13 , Year 2003 (Labor Law)
            CHAPTER VIII - EMPLOYMENT OF FOREIGN WORKER
            ARTICLE 42
            (1) Every employer that employs foreign worker is under an obligation to obtain written permission from Minister (Work Permit) .
            (2) An employer who is an individual person is prohibited from employing foreign worker.

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...esian-and-work (work under Article 61 of UU no.6/2011)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ponsored-kitas (working as freelancer with KITAS sponsored by Indonesian wife)
            Last edited by marcus; 10-03-20, 16:53.

Comment

Working...
            X