X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on VoA while wait for KITAS

Hi people.
    I'm a newbie to Indonesia.
    I am currently working on a business Visa in SBY.
    I recently renewed my Passport to have appropriate validity for KITAS.
    I expected to transition directly from business Visa to KITAS.
    My company is telling me i need to exit Indonesia (this coming Saturday) and return on a VoA for sole purpose of getting entry stamp in my new Passport. This is apparently a requirement for KITAS?

I am extremely reluctant to work illegally, i know everyone does it, but I don't want to risk it. Currently all my colleagues are working illegally here while they await their KITAS renewals.

Does anyone know anything about Requiring this entry to Indonesia stamp in my Passport? Is it legit?

Originally posted by Aussie@Surabaya View Post
    (1) I am currently working on a business Visa in SBY.

(2) I expected to transition directly from business Visa to KITAS.

(3) My company is telling me i need to exit Indonesia (this coming Saturday) and return on a VoA for sole purpose of getting entry stamp in my new Passport. This is apparently a requirement for KITAS?... Does anyone know anything about Requiring this entry to Indonesia stamp in my Passport? Is it legit?

(1) Better not do that because Business Visa is not for work (there is only one visa for work which is the Limited Stay Visa index 312) . This situation is considered a criminal act (see related part of the Law below) .

(2) Although a process to do that does exist , usually Immigration asks the foreigner to go out of Indonesia and return with a Limited Stay Visa index 312 , to then convert it in a Work e-ITAS/KITAS as soon as the foreigner re-enter Indonesia .

(3) Returning on a Visa-on-arrival has nothing to do with a KITAS . It only makes sense if your present visa is expiring and your company didn't get the authorization for the Limited Stay Visa index 312 yet .

The "entry stamp" , more precisely , the "Stay Permit" stamp that you have in the old/cancelled passport is still valid , so next time you want to exit Indonesia you need to show the 2 passports (old/cancelled + new) , to prove you were in Indonesia legally and within the time validity of the Stay Permit . Or your employer can present your 2 passports to the local Immigration so they will transfer the Stay Permit from the older/cancelled passport to your new passport .

Note : An Indonesian "Visa" becomes a "Stay Permit" when you enter Indonesia .

-----------------------------------------

UU no.6 - year 2011 (Indonesian Immigration Law)
    Article 122
    Shall be punished with imprisonment of up five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any foreigner who deliberately misuse or engage in activities not in accordance with the intent and purpose of the Visa/e-ITAS/KITAS/KITAP given to the foreigner;
    Last edited by marcus; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Be informed that there are 2 types of Indonesian Business Visa :
      - one year (multiple entry) , which allows you to stay in Indonesia up to 60 days each time you come to Indonesia ;
      - 30 or 60 days (single entry) , which can be extended (without the need to go outside Indonesia) 4 times , 30 additional days per extension .

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
        Be informed that there are 2 types of Indonesian Business Visa :
        - one year (multiple entry) , which allows you to stay in Indonesia up to 60 days each time you come to Indonesia ;
        - 30 or 60 days (single entry) , which can be extended (without the need to go outside Indonesia) 4 times , 30 additional days per extension .
        how can i extend my single use business visa? Company will not provide any paperwork

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post

(1) Better not do that because Business Visa is not for work (there is only one visa for work which is the Limited Stay Visa index 312) . This situation is considered a criminal act (see related part of the Law below) .

(2) Although a process to do that does exist , usually Immigration asks the foreigner to go out of Indonesia and return with a Limited Stay Visa index 312 , to then convert it in a Work e-ITAS/KITAS as soon as the foreigner re-enter Indonesia .

(3) Returning on a Visa-on-arrival has nothing to do with a KITAS . It only makes sense if your present visa is expiring and your company didn't get the authorization for the Limited Stay Visa index 312 yet .

The "entry stamp" , more precisely , the "Stay Permit" stamp that you have in the old/cancelled passport is still valid , so next time you want to exit Indonesia you need to show the 2 passports (old/cancelled + new) , to prove you were in Indonesia legally and within the time validity of the Stay Permit . Or your employer can present your 2 passports to the local Immigration so they will transfer the Stay Permit from the older/cancelled passport to your new passport .

Note : An Indonesian "Visa" becomes a "Stay Permit" when you enter Indonesia .

-----------------------------------------

UU no.6 - year 2011 (Indonesian Immigration Law)
          Article 122
          Shall be punished with imprisonment of up five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any foreigner who deliberately misuse or engage in activities not in accordance with the intent and purpose of the Visa/e-ITAS/KITAS/KITAP given to the foreigner;
          Thankyou for your message. I just cannot understand what the company benefits from having me working on a VoA. They know they have me by the short and curlies because my visa expires next week. So i really don't have any options other than just quit and try to find an employer who is a bit more RidgyDidge .

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie@Surabaya View Post
            (a) how can i extend ... Company will not provide any paperwork

(b) ... I just cannot understand what the company benefits from having me working on a VoA...

(a) In this case there is no way to extend .

(b) I don't know about your case specifically , but in general the company saves around US$2'000 per year in fees (+ maybe the ticket to send the foreigner home) + it can hire foreigners who are not eligible for the Work Visa/e-ITAS/KITAS (paying lower salary , of course) .

Comment

Working...
            X