Renewing Re-Entry permit while outside Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing Re-Entry permit while outside Indonesia

I am outside Indonesia. The Re-Entry Permit (aka MERP) for my ITAP is due to expire in a month but I'm not otherwise due back in Indonesia until a couple of months later. My question is whether the Re-Entry permit can be
    a) renewed at Indonesian embassies abroad; or
    b) renewed by family/agent in Jakarta if I send my passport there, but without me being present in Indonesia.

Final question: if neither of the above are possible and I am forced to make an early trip back, can I arrive on the date the permit expires? Or must it be at least a day earlier? (The issuing date of the permit is the 20th, and that is also the 'valid until' date, which makes me a bit suspicious)

Any wisdom much appreciated!

Originally posted by Gemes View Post
    (I) I am outside Indonesia ...

a) renewed at Indonesian embassies abroad; or

b) renewed by family/agent in Jakarta if I send my passport there, but without me being present in Indonesia ...

(I) I hope you have not been outside for more than 1 year , otherwise you lose the ITAP .

(a) I never heard of anybody who did it at an Embassy .

(b) The correct way to get a new Re-entry Permit is at the specific Kantor Imigrasi where you got the ITAP . Anybody could request it , but remember that you will need a sponsor letter .

Comment

I also never heard MERP can be done in the embassy but recently I saw an Entry-exit permit stamp for KITAS done in the embassy in Singapore. However, it was given with validity of a couple of days or maybe a week so the KITAS holder just could come back to Indonesia. Better to ask the Indonesian embassy for that.

To do the MERP extension in local KanIm you have to be in Indonesia, and imigrasi can see are you in the country as they are online connected with entry ports. So you cannot send your passport to make MERP in local Kanim if you are not in Indonesia.

You can arrive latest the day the MERP expires, no need to extend before/at MERP expiry if you are already in Indonesia. However, if you do not extend your MERP and you are in Indonesia, you cannot leave the country. Airport immigration will not let you out without MERP.

All this is under the condition that your KITAP is still valid, as marcus mentioned above.

Comment

Thank you both. The ITAP is fine as it's only been a few months since I was last there. I will see if a one-off entry stamp can be issued by the embassy. They don't want to talk on the phone and haven't responded to email..

Comment

Yes , it is good to ask the local Indonesian Embassy as , at least in the past , there were some Embassies that did the MERP (see below) . Unfortunetely this is an old information (2003) from an old website (nowadays the official website is www.kemlu.go.id/sanfrancisco/Pages/default.aspx , and it does not show this information anymore) .

From http://www.indonesiachicago.org/consreentryind.htm

[... Indonesian Representatives (Embassies or Consulates General) issue an extension of a Re-entry Permit to holders of Limited / Permanent Stay Permits.

The Indonesian Consulate General in Chicago accepts applications for re-entry permits after fulfilling the following requirements:

- Approval of the Director General of Immigration;

- Passport is valid 6 months from the date of entry into Indonesia;

- KITAS / KITAP valid for 1 month from the date of entry;

- Ticket to Indonesia ...

Copyright 2003 Indonesian Consulate, Chicago, IL USA]
          Last edited by marcus; 22-05-19, 21:08.

Comment

Originally posted by centurion View Post
            ... To do the MERP extension in local KanIm you have to be in Indonesia, ...

Did you find this in a Regulation/similar or somebody told you ?

Comment

So I tried a different embassy, and they told me that the Re-entry Permit can be processed in Jakarta without me or passport being there, then they send a 'telex' to embassy here, who then stamp the passport. While I am dubious that it will work, if I give it a try I will report back

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post

Did you find this in a Regulation/similar or somebody told you ?
                This is from my personal experience, I could not extend MERP while I was out of Indonesia.

Comment

... they told me that the Re-entry Permit can be processed in Jakarta without me or passport being there, then they send a 'telex' to embassy here, ...

So this information matches that old Embassy's website information I put in post no.5 above .

About the "telex" being sent to the Embassy , although it may be correct , in practice Jakarta's Immigration General Directorate send/give a copy of "approval" to the requester and the foreigner himself/herself needs to bring it to the Embassy (or at least this is what is done for visas) .

Comment

Well the JakSel office sent my father-in-law to DitJen on Jl. Rasuna Said, and there to my surprise he managed to get them to issue documents saying they've granted a 6 month extension to the IMK (they're still calling it that, rather than re-entry permit). There's two letters, one approving the extension, the other a 'telegram' addressed to the Indonesian consulate where I am.

I have received nothing by email, so all I have are photos of those two letters. Should I take printouts of the photos to the consulate here, do you think? They surely ought to have been emailed internally but you never know..

Comment

(1) ... they've granted a 6 month extension to the IMK (they're still calling it that, rather than re-entry permit) ...

(2) Should I take printouts of the photos to the consulate here, do you think?

(3) They surely ought to have been emailed internally but you never know..

(1) By IMK do you mean "Izin Masuk Kembali" , right ? Did your father pay Rp600'000 for it ?

(2) It should be good as the Embassy may want a hard copy from you .

(3) From what we heard here + my own experience , Embassies frequently ask the foreigner to bring a copy of the "approval" (see example below) .

From https://kemlu.go.id/sanfrancisco/en/.../about-service

[... Requirements: (for a Limited Stay Visa)
                      - Please fill out the online form at https://consular.embassyofindonesia....sa_transaction
                      - A passport which has at least one blank page for visa (amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa), with at least: a. 12 months validity for 6 months stay; b. 18 months validity for 12 months stay; or c. 30 months validity for 24 months stay
                      - Two recent color photographs (passport size) with white background on picture-quality paper. Note: Do not staple or affixed the exits on the form.
                      - Complete the online application. The application can click here to start
                      - Limited Stay Visa Authorization Letter from the Indonesian Directorate General of Immigration. Note: An application will not be processed without a formal notification of authorization from the Indonesian Directorate General of Immigration. To initiate and expedite the process of the Authorization, it is advisable that the applicant's sponsor in Indonesia submit a request for authorization to the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta, Indonesia. Please make sure that the notification is addressed to the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in San Francisco in which the visa will be issued.
                      ....... ]
                      Last edited by marcus; 31-05-19, 10:35.

Comment

Well the JakSel office sent my father-in-law to DitJen on Jl. Rasuna Said, and there to my surprise he managed to get them to issue documents saying they've granted a 6 month extension to the IMK (they're still calling it that, rather than re-entry permit). There's two letters, one approving the extension, the other a 'telegram' addressed to the Indonesian consulate where I am.

I have received nothing by email, so all I have are photos of those two letters. Should I take printouts of the photos to the consulate here, do you think? They surely ought to have been emailed internally but you never know..
                        Useful information to know, thanks for the info.

Comment

Final update: The Indonesian consulate were happy with a printout of a photo of the approval letter from the DitJen immigrasi in Jakarta (they may have received it themselves via email of course) and went ahead and placed into my passport a bespoke printed-out (and stamped) patch of plain sticker paper saying my re-entry permit had been extended - by six months. Immigration at Jakarta airport didn't raise an eyebrow upon my entry with that sticker.

I must say, I takes my hat off to immigration and the consulate, they have carried out a request which clearly isn't a common procedure, without any undue drama whatsoever. For every nightmare immigration story, there's a good one like this. Faith in humanity restored

Comment

Yes , there are still people working correctly . In 2015 I asked a 6 months Re-entry Permit but a supervisor officer at our Kantor Imigrasi told me that as I had a KITAP I had to get a 2 years Re-entry Permit . Few months later after I returned from my trip abroad , I divorced and lost my 3 years old KITAP .

By the way , Gemes :
                            - Did you specifically ask for the 6 months or they only provide the 6 months one for people outside Indonesia ?

- It was paid in Jakarta or at the Embassy ?
                            Last edited by marcus; 24-06-19, 17:50.

Comment

I actually asked for just a few weeks extension but I guess the consulate decided 6 months was the go. The make-do sticker says it is an extension - perpanjangan - so not technically a new re-entry permit I guess. Payment was in Jakarta, no payment at the consulate. (I don't actually know how much it cost because my enquiry was brushed off by my kind in-laws). My KITAP will have just 6 months to go when this re-entry permit extension expires, so I hope they will let me get just a 6-month re-entry permit then.

Related question: is a KTP-OA usually required when applying for the time-unlimited (second) KITAP? I have so far managed without one. Actually I wouldn't mind getting one but am afraid I may be in trouble for not having gotten one when first getting my KITAP. If I made one now (on my first KITAP) would a new one have to be made after securing the second (unlimited) KITAP, I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                              X