No announcement yet.

Foreigner Moving to Indonesia , advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreigner Moving to Indonesia , advice?

Hi everyone, my girlfriend and I are currently living and working in Shanghai and are tired of the life we have here. We've had an amazing adventure staying and working here but both aren't very happy with the jobs we have and the way our careers isn't progressing.

For this reason we want to do something radical and start working remotely, find some work we can do online and build our own careers both part time for a company remotely first but while building on our independent business ideas to eventually work full time on our own passion projects.

This is where some research and planning needs to go into play and ewe have set a deadline for January 2019.

I have made my calculations and we plan to save up around $14.000 to live off for the first six months in Bali and then see whether we can continue living there or not which depends on how successful our progress and remote income would be by then.

For this I was wondering if someone did something similar and would like to get in touch through wechat, Whatsapp or any other messenger just so I can correspond with someone who went through something similar?

Any advice, tips or life hacks that I should know about are also much appreciated!

(1) In relation to working online (although I am personally in favor of legalizing it if all clients are from outside Indonesia) you would need to work secretly as the present Indonesia Law states that no foreigner are allowed to work without a Work Permit & Work Visa/Stay Permit (working illegally is considered a crime) .

(2) In relation to the Indonesian Visa/Stay Permit , unfortunately (assuming you are still relatively young) Immigration officers will not be willing to allow you to stay too long in Indonesia with multiples short term 60 days Tourist Visas or even with multiples #180 days (single entry) Social Cultural Visas (besides the need to frequently go to Singapore/Malaysia to get new Visas) .
    # 180 days if extending it 4 times (each time you request an extension or a new Visa , Immigration officers may have the doubt that you are working in Indonesia)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ependent-KITAS (about work at home)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...king-and-taxes (work at home , tax)

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html (Indonesian Visas & documents)

http://www.expat.or.id/info/sitemap.html (about Indonesia)
    Last edited by marcus; 4 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
      Assuming you are not Indonesian :

(1) In relation to working online (although I am personally in favor of legalizing it if all clients are from outside Indonesia) you would need to work secretly as the present Indonesia Law states that no foreigner are allowed to work without a Work Permit & Work Visa/Stay Permit (working illegally is considered a crime) .

(2) In relation to the Indonesian Visa/Stay Permit , unfortunately (assuming you are still relatively young) Immigration officers will not be willing to allow you to stay too long in Indonesia with multiples short term 60 days Tourist Visas or even with multiples #180 days (single entry) Social Cultural Visas (besides the need to frequently go to Singapore/Malaysia to get new Visas) .
      # 180 days if extending it 4 times (each time you request an extension or a new Visa , Immigration officers may have the doubt that you are working in Indonesia)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ependent-KITAS (about work at home)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...king-and-taxes (work at home , tax)

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html (Indonesian Visas & documents)

http://www.expat.or.id/info/sitemap.html (about Indonesia)
      Hi Marcus, thank you for your reply.
      We are quite aware about VISA laws, coming from China where the VISA laws are at least equally tough! We will go through all the necessary requirements to do evertything according to the countries law. I have connections there who will help me with this process. Thank you for your concern!

I was wondering if you could indulge me more about the lifestyle there?
      As someone from Belgium, I do enjoy coffee shops, pastry shops, toasts, and other western style foods, are supermarkets easy to find?
      Do you have any idea about the lifestyle in areas around Canggu such as Umalas or Kerobokan?

Have an awesome day there in Indonesia and thanks for the help you've provided so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathanhorn View Post

Hi Marcus, thank you for your reply.
        We are quite aware about VISA laws, coming from China where the VISA laws are at least equally tough! We will go through all the necessary requirements to do evertything according to the countries law. I have connections there who will help me with this process. Thank you for your concern!

I was wondering if you could indulge me more about the lifestyle there?
        As someone from Belgium, I do enjoy coffee shops, pastry shops, toasts, and other western style foods, are supermarkets easy to find?
        Do you have any idea about the lifestyle in areas around Canggu such as Umalas or Kerobokan?

Have an awesome day there in Indonesia and thanks for the help you've provided so far!
        Hi Nathanhorn...and welcome to the forum.
        I live in Kerobokan and can say anywhere from my place to the coast and surrounds you will find tons of what you are looking for. Particularly in the Canggu area there are so many Belgians/Germans/Australians many....my driver calls it (Banjar Bule)...foreigners village. You will not be disappointed with the plethora of cake shops, restaurants, pubs and the like that are authentic from EU.
        Western style supermarkets are everywhere in Bali although imported food is expensive compared to the local but a good market will provide basics like rice and fresh vegetables and a little indulgence can get you Belgian chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post

Hi Nathanhorn...and welcome to the forum.
          I live in Kerobokan and can say anywhere from my place to the coast and surrounds you will find tons of what you are looking for. Particularly in the Canggu area there are so many Belgians/Germans/Australians many....my driver calls it (Banjar Bule)...foreigners village. You will not be disappointed with the plethora of cake shops, restaurants, pubs and the like that are authentic from EU.
          Western style supermarkets are everywhere in Bali although imported food is expensive compared to the local but a good market will provide basics like rice and fresh vegetables and a little indulgence can get you Belgian chocolate.
          Haha, that's great news! I'm looking forward visiting Bali with my family in October, then in January I will make the move to go and live there, now it's about getting the finance in order, doing some research prior to getting there so that I can start living/working there as soon as possible when everything is in order!

Thank you for this amazing insider info, can I ask if we can become friends on WeChat or WhatsApp or any messenger you prefer? @Davita

Comment

Originally posted by Nathanhorn View Post
            ... I was wondering if you could indulge me more about the lifestyle there? ...

It may be hard to believe , but in 19 years in Indonesia I never went to Bali or any other city in Indonesia other than the city I live (Bandung) , except Jakarta because I had to go to my country's Embassy there .

But fortunately Davita can tell you everything you need .
            Last edited by marcus; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
            X