Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banking account for a foreigner?

Hi guys,

Been married to my Indonesian wife for 12 years and I am officially retired and moving to Indonesia today. Flight is in 6 hours. Does anyone know which bank allows foreigners like myself to open a banking account? We went to BNI last time and they would not allow it,not even a joint account. I read in the Kitas sticky that we need to have a joint account to apply for my Kitas and that is why I am asking,

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Originally posted by Peter Wong View Post
    (1) Does anyone know which bank allows foreigners like myself to open a banking account? ...

(2) ... I read in the Kitas sticky that we need to have a joint account to apply for my Kitas and that is why I am asking ...

(1) Normal banks usually require a copy of the KITAS or KITAP for opening an account for foreigners . Without that , you still can open an account in few rural banks and credit unions (which by the way pay you the best interest rates) .

(2) It is not true . As far as I remember I never heard of Immigration asking a bank account statement for a KITAS sponsored by Indonesian spouse .

PP no.31 , year 2013
    Article 142
    (1) Application of a Limited Stay Permit/KITAS shall be submitted by the foreigner as referred to in Article 141 or his/her sponsor to the Immigration Office's chief or a designated Immigration officer in the office that covers the area where the foreigner lives .
    (2) Application as contemplated in (1) above shall be submitted by filling/presenting the request forms and attaching the following :
    b. For a foreigner who is legally married with Indonesian citizen as referred to in Article 141 clause (1) letter e, includes:
    1. application letter from Indonesian citizen husband or wife;
    2. Legal Nationality Passport and still valid;
    3. Surat Domisili;
    4. photocopy of marriage certificate or marriage book;
    5. photocopy of proof of Indonesian registration on marriage occurred outside Indonesia;
    6. photocopy of the KTP/ID card of the Indonesian citizen husband or wife;
    7. photocopy of the KK/family card from the Indonesian citizen husband or wife.

Note : some few more documents are usually requested , but not a bank account statement . A bank statement account (showing a balance of USD1'500 minimum) is required for any Indonesian Visa (according PerMen no.24 , year 2016) , except the short Visa-on-arrival . But KITAS is a Stay Permit card , not a visa . Anyway , if/when a bank account statement is required , it does not necessarily need to be from a bank based in Indonesia .
    Last edited by marcus; 14-07-18, 23:29.

Comment

3.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] The sponsor "buys" the needed forms (IDR 10K to IDR 25K) and fills a written demand. A "Riwayat Hidup" of the foreigner, a bank statement showing that the couple has enough funds to live 1 full year in Indonesia should be joined.[/FONT][/COLOR]

marcus, I copied the above from the sticky post. Does this mean any banking account or an Indonesian bank account?

Comment

As I said , no bank account statement is usually required for this type of KITAS (if I am not mistaken , only a Retirement KITAS requires a proof of financial capability , and in this case it can be from any bank regardless of where it is based) .

I guess you copied that from a very reliable member's post but posted almost 10 years ago , things changed after that . When I got my KITAS sponsored by my (then) Indonesian wife in 2010 , the forms were free , no "Riwayat Hidup" neither a bank statement were required , and as you see from the 2013 Regulation above (post no.2) it does not mention those requirements , and members of this Forum who also got the same KITAS lately had not provided them , as far as I know .
        Last edited by marcus; 14-07-18, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          As I said , no bank account statement is usually required for this type of KITAS (if I am not mistaken , only a Retirement KITAS requires a proof of financial capability , and in this case it can be from any bank regardless of where it is based) .
          I guess you copied that from a very reliable member's post but posted almost 10 years ago , things changed after that . When I got my KITAS sponsored by my (then) Indonesian wife in 2010 , the forms were free , no "Riwayat Hidup" neither a bank statement were required , and as you see from the 2013 Regulation above (post no.2) it does not mention those requirements , and members of this Forum who also got the same KITAS lately had not provided them , as far as I know .
          Noted on the above. Thanks again,marcus.
          The immigration officer at Juanda airport told me yesterday when I came into the country that it is easy to get a Kitas nowadays and urged me to get it done ASAP.

Comment

Working...
          X