"Visa runs" to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Visa runs" to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Hello, I'm a guy from the US and I plan to visit Jakarta/Bandung for the first time in August. I read that I don't need a visa, but I can come on my passport and stay for 30 days, but I must leave before then. If I decide I want to stay longer, can I fly to KL or Singapore for a day and come back? Anyone have experience doing this for a few consecutive months? Thanks for any info

Originally posted by Jonathan W View Post
    Hello, I'm a guy from the US and I plan to visit Jakarta/Bandung for the first time in August. I read that I don't need a visa, but I can come on my passport and stay for 30 days, but I must leave before then. If I decide I want to stay longer, can I fly to KL or Singapore for a day and come back? Anyone have experience doing this for a few consecutive months? Thanks for any info
    Hi Jonathan W and welcome.
    You have a few options which I'll try to explain.
    You can arrive and enter Indonesia on a VOA at the arrival airport...this is free but you will need to leave before the 30 days expires...they count your arrival as day One. You can then fly out in the morning to SIN or KL, buy a bottle of duty free, and catch the next flight back to Indonesia and repeat.

You can arrive and enter Indonesia but look for the paid VOA kiosk and purchase a VOA (US$35), this is extendable in the immigration area you reside in Indonesia for a further 30 days (extraUS$35), and do the same when that 60 days expires. If done a few times it's OK but after a while Immigration may question your intent.

You can apply where you live at the Indonesian Embassy/Consul for a 60 day visa (around $70 but differs) which is the same, as you can stay for up to 60 days, and do the same as above.

There are other more long-term visas/permits but that's more for those wishing to reside in Indonesia....not just visit.

Comment

Thanks for your informative post! I'll probably be taking this approach then, and maybe if I decide I want to live there I'll ask about those other options

Comment

If there is even a small possibility for you to stay in Indonesia for more than 60 days , I suggest you to get (in US) a sponsored/extendable 60 days (single entry) Visit Visa for social/cultural purposes (popularly known as Social Cultural Visa , Sosbud Visa) , or a (multiple entry) 60 days Visit Visa for tourism purpose (popularly known as multiple Tourist Visa) , which is (curiously) almost only issued in USA (without a sponsor) . Or at least the (single entry) 60 days Tourist Visa (mentioned above by Davita) , which does not need a sponsor and sometimes people have successfully extended it like the sponsored one I mentioned before (Sosbud Visa) . In US you will pay USD50 for the single entry and USD110 for the multiple entry .

Note : A Visa extension is done in the city stated in the Indonesian sponsor's identity card , does not require to leave Indonesia

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html (details of Indonesian Visas)
        Last edited by marcus; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Thanks Marcus, I'll definitely think about doing that

Comment

Working...
          X