Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get ITAP until 3 months before ITAS expires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get ITAP until 3 months before ITAS expires?

Hi, I went to apply for conversion of my Kitas to Kitap and the immigration officers at both the local and regional offices are telling me I cant apply for kitap until 3 months before my kitas expires?? "The system won't accept" is their response. (spouse kitas to spouse kitap, married for over two years, had four bloody kitas's but the current one was not by extension so considered first kitas - but this isn't the problem). Has anyone else had this problem recently - i.e. immigration saying you have to wait until 3 months before kitas expires to apply for kitap? I know (or at least I am pretty sure) they are wrong, so looking to see if anyone has had the same excuse given to them, and any advice on how to get them to reason and follow the hukum.

Bit of background: I have had nothing but wrong information from my local immigration office when trying to convert my kitas to kitap over the last two years. First they did the old "you have to have kitas for two years, after two years they go nah actually its five years, then after all that they finally got what I was trying to argue with them at the start that (for a spouse kitap) it doesn't even go off how many kitas's you've had, it goes by how many years you've been married (2 years, we've been married 4). Now that I've finally got that bit clarified, they are saying I can't apply for Kitap until 3 months before kitas expires because "the system won't accept it", I've tried the lines "please show me the regulation that states this" etc but they won't seem to budge just say the "system won't accept". I am so frustrated and feel like they are making excuses to stop me getting my kitap, because its not the first time they have given me the wrong information as described above.

Other than the simple fact I am being denied something I am legally eligible for, my situation is I can not wait until the last 3 months before my kitas expires because I am currently pregnant, plan give birth in my home country, and 3 months before my kitas expires is when I am due to give birth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you to talk to Jakarta's Immigration Directorate (if you live near Jakarta) , or try do start the process online through https://izintinggal.imigrasi.go.id/IT-online .

But be alerted that if you plan to stay in your home country for more than 1 year , forget about the KITAP (with it you cannot stay out of Indonesia this much) .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...as-from-sosbud (a successful online case , but for getting an ITAS from Sosbud)
    Last edited by marcus; 3 days ago.

Comment

Ya its clearly not true what you are being told at your local imm office ,try marcus solution ,I did the conversion in the first week of the kitas validity , but it was in bali where imm is professional and clued up ,I suspect in your area it is not the same Good luck !

Comment

hi mentawaigirl.. I have done conversion of my Spouse sponsored KITAS to KITAP successfully after 3 kitas extension. And yes, it can be converted to KITAP 3 months before the expiry, atleast in my case, I just followed what they said, It helps to cooperate and be polite rather than challenge them on anything. It being polite and coperative doesn't help, need to find some other option to convince them that we follow the rules and are good people.

btw, you are in which city?

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          I suggest you to talk to Jakarta's Immigration Directorate (if you live near Jakarta) , or try do start the process online through https://izintinggal.imigrasi.go.id/IT-online .

But be alerted that if you plan to stay in your home country for more than 1 year , forget about the KITAP (with it you cannot stay out of Indonesia this much) .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...as-from-sosbud (a successful online case , but for getting an ITAS from Sosbud)
          Thanks Marcus, I will try talking them round one last time. I am very far from Jakarta unfortunately, I envy those who get to deal with the Jakarta or Bali offices lol. My local immigration office (Padang) is 12 hours away, boat, ferry, taxi, (lining up ferry schedules and traveling with a 2 yr old makes things harder for us unfortunately) but will plan another trip soon. Perhaps I could try call the Jakarta Directorate for advice. Online could be an interesting option to look at, I will have a look at the example you sent. You haven't heard of anyone doing a kitas to kitap online by any chance? Would I still need to deal with the local and regional offices this way (surely I would right?, but then they could at least see the "system HAS accepted it" so could be a goer).

We have lived in Indo for nearly 6 years but with our first child getting to school age we are considering the move to Aus but plan to come back once a year. To confirm - requirement for KITAP to remain valid, must be in Indo at least once every 12 months?

I find the info on this forum so very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by tel522 View Post
            Ya its clearly not true what you are being told at your local imm office ,try marcus solution ,I did the conversion in the first week of the kitas validity , but it was in bali where imm is professional and clued up ,I suspect in your area it is not the same Good luck !
            Thanks Tel522, great to have confirmation. I envy you getting to deal with Bali office. Padang is my local office.

Comment

Originally posted by KenGmail View Post
              hi mentawaigirl.. I have done conversion of my Spouse sponsored KITAS to KITAP successfully after 3 kitas extension. And yes, it can be converted to KITAP 3 months before the expiry, atleast in my case, I just followed what they said, It helps to cooperate and be polite rather than challenge them on anything. It being polite and coperative doesn't help, need to find some other option to convince them that we follow the rules and are good people.

btw, you are in which city?
              Thanks KenGmail, my problem is they are saying I MUST wait until 3 months before kitas expires to start process of conversion to kitap and I can not wait that long as I am pregnant and will be giving birth in Australia then! Always very polite, I know to tread lightly if need to challenge them. They are friendly enough but unfortunately aren't as clued up as say Bali or Jakarta offices. Padang is my local office. Im going to try talking to them again soon. We live 12 hours from Padang and have a small child so traveling back and forth is not easy and expensive for us unfortunately. Thanks for your information.

Comment

Question: TELEX for KITAP??

Is it possible to apply for KITAP outside of Indonesia? And/or Can you get a KITAP telex? (When I got my KITAS I did it with a telex) - is it possible to do the same with a KITAP?? Thinking along these lines...I could get an agent to organize a kitap telex to be sent to the perth indo consulate whilst i am in australia, then return next year to have it processed? (yes i know more expensive but regardless of this, theoretically is this possible?)

Anyone know of anyone getting kitap this way?

Comment

Originally posted by mentawaigirl View Post
                  (1) ... You haven't heard of anyone doing a kitas to kitap online by any chance?

(2) Would I still need to deal with the local and regional offices this way ...

(3) Is it possible to apply for KITAP outside of Indonesia?

(4) Can you get a KITAP telex?

(5) ... with our first child getting to school age we are considering the move to Aus but plan to come back once a year.

(6) To confirm - requirement for KITAP to remain valid, must be in Indo at least once every 12 months?

(1) No (this online service started around 6 months ago) .

(2) Yes , you still need to do at least fingerprints/photo/payment/give and take back the passport at the local office (but who knows , you may not need to go to the regional office) . The way I see it , it inverts the process . Traditionally it started at the low level city's Immigration , but in this online way it starts at the Jakarta's Directorate .

(3) No .

(4) No . The popular name is "telex visa" . Visa (except for the visa-on-arrival) is issued outside Indonesia by an Embassy/Consular office . KITAS & KITAP are Stay Permits , issued inside Indonesia by a local Kantor Imigrasi .
                  But you could do a "telex visa" for a VITAS , then a KITAS , and immediately a KITAP (like Tel522 did) , obviously a lot more expensive with a big workload .

(5) When this time comes , if you will not stay in Indonesia more than 60 days per visit , I would suggest you to cancel the KITAP and come to Indonesia with a 60 days Tourist Visa . With KITAP you would need to be concerned about 3 dates : one year outside Indonesia , expiry date of the 2 years Re-entry Permit (to apply for another 2 years one at your local Immigration) , and expiry date of the KITAP itself .

(6) Yes .

-----------------------------------

In your case I think your best option now is to apply for the KITAP online . This way you don't need to convince your local Immigration office and I guess it will save you 1 or 2 trips to your local Immigration .
                  Last edited by marcus; 3 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X