Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many spouse Kitas before apply for Kitap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many spouse Kitas before apply for Kitap?

At the end of my second spouse Kitas (end of 2016) I went to apply for my Kitap and I was told the rules have changed and you now have to have spouse kitas for 5 years (as opposed to two) before you can apply for Kitap. Now Im hearing its two again and I am very confused. I cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere. I am hoping someone on here my be able to give me an answer. Thanks.

Originally posted by mentawaigirl View Post
    At the end of my second spouse Kitas (end of 2016) I went to apply for my Kitap and I was told the rules have changed and you now have to have spouse kitas for 5 years (as opposed to two) before you can apply for Kitap. Now Im hearing its two again and I am very confused. I cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere. I am hoping someone on here my be able to give me an answer. Thanks.
    Hi mentawaigirl and welcome

According to the website linked at the top of the forum here www.expat.or.id a relevant sentence says......

ITAP can be issued to:-
    • Expatriate spouses of Indonesian citizens (after you have been married for 2 years and after holding a KITAS for 3 years in a row).
    I know many spouses that applied after 2 years continuous KITAS and got their KITAP.

Comment

Originally posted by mentawaigirl View Post
      (1) ... (end of 2016) ... I was told the rules have changed and you now have to have spouse kitas for 5 years ...

(2) Now Im hearing its two again and I am very confused ...

(1) I think you got a wrong information . In this Forum I never heard of anybody who said the rule changed at that time . And also I am not aware of any change in the Law (UU no.6 , year 2011) .

(2) The Law (see below) states 2 years of marriage , not 2 KITAS .

UU no.6 , year 2011
      Article 54
      (1) Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP may be granted to:
      a. Foreigners holding Limited Stay Permit/KITAS as the clergy, workers, investors, and the elderly ;
      b. Foreigners holding Limited Stay Permit/KITAS because of marriage with Indonesians ;
      Article 60
      (1) Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP for the applicant referred to in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter a is given after the applicant resides for 3 (three) consecutive years and signs a Statement of Integration to the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.
      (2) A Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP for the applicant referred to in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter b is given after the marriage reaches the age of 2 (two) years and the foreigner signs a Statement of Integration to the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post
        ITAP can be issued to:-
        • Expatriate spouses of Indonesian citizens (after you have been married for 2 years and after holding a KITAS for 3 years in a row).
        I know many spouses that applied after 2 years continuous KITAS and got their KITAP.

As you said , there were people who got KITAP after 2 KITAS , and probably there were people who also got KITAP after a single KITAS .

That information at http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html#KITAP need to be revised . You all can see (in post no.3 above) that the Law does state only the required 2 years of marriage . In practice , besides the 2 years of marriage we also need at least one KITAS because the KITAP can only be issued by conversion from a KITAS .

Comment

My bad...Marcus is dead right....I meant to say 'I know many spouses that applied after 2 years 'of marriage' and got their KITAP'. I got carried away with terminology.
          Although, as Marcus said, it needs a KITAS prior to getting a KITAP so a one year wait is normal, unless wanting to pay for a KITAP on top of already paying for the KITAS.
          My Dutch brother-in-law is so stingy he waited till the last minute so he could get the most 'visa-time' for his money!

Comment

Marcus explains it very well.

For the record, I got my KITAP when:

1. I had been married to my wife for 2 years

2. I had my first KITAS for about 3 months (You can even apply for KITAP the day after you get your first KITAS if you want, the important thing is that you have been married for 2 years)

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and information, much appreciated. My third Kitas will end in a couple of months, we've been married for over two years so I'm going to apply for Kitap now. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X