Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage/Citizenship

Hello!

I'm getting married in March to an Indonesian woman. I've lived here with her for just over 5 years now. I wish to become an Indonesian citizen through marriage as we want to build a life here together. I understand that citizenship can be obtained through marriage easier than on your own.

The way I read the laws, I already qualify for living here 5 consecutive years, and now when we marry, I can apply for citizenship. One agency told me that Now, I have to live here for an additional 5 years being married to apply for citizenship through marriage.

I don't believe that is correct. Does anyone know the specifics? Since I've lived here for 5 years already, and will marry in March, won't I then be eligible for citizenship through marriage?

Thanks for any help!
    [COLOR=#0000ff]Ask a question and you are a fool for five minutes. Don't ask a question and remain a fool forever~[/COLOR]

The requirement for obtaining Indonesian citizenship re: time in Indonesia is "5 years uninterrupted stay or 10 years interrupted stay."
    Uninterrupted would mean a continuous Kitas or Kitap without ever getting an EPO.
    The marriage issue, and other requirements to obtain citizenship, are separate.

There's a very good thread on this subject here....http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...nesian-citizen

Comment

Thanks Davita. I've read that thread before. I've never gotten an EPO. I've been here in Indonesia without interruption since October 2012 with a work kitas.

As I mentioned, we will marry in March! I want to then obtain citizenship. It's easier for me because I'm one of those poor people who find it extremely difficult to learn a new language. It is not a strict requirement when going through marriage for citizenship but is if not married.

Anyway, any knowledge on obtaining citizenship through marriage? As mentioned, the Rami agency said that I would have to be married and living 5 years. I don't agree.

How difficult or slightly difficult (not much is easy here I know) is the process through marriage?
      [COLOR=#0000ff]Ask a question and you are a fool for five minutes. Don't ask a question and remain a fool forever~[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Orionstar813 View Post
        ... I've read that thread before ... Anyway, any knowledge on obtaining citizenship through marriage? ...

I guess you didn't read the entire thread provided in Davita's post , because what you ask is answered there (http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...-spouse-of-wni)

In addition to that , I remember Atlantis say that one have to first get a KITAP to apply for the Indonesian citizenship .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...-i-just-did-it (example of how to become Indonesian)

Comment

Thanks very much Marcus. Davita thread link is different than the ones you provided. Great information there. It sure is quite a process, especially speaking bahasa. I'm 51 and have had difficulty learning any language my whole life.

As I mentioned, I've lived with my fiance for just over 5 years here now. We are finally marrying in March and I want to immediately start the process of becoming an Indonesian citizen. It seems is going to take a while

Comment

Originally posted by Orionstar813 View Post
            ... Davita thread link is different than the ones you provided ...

I should not have provided you the link so you would find out that Davita's link did provide all that .

Comment

I cannot speak for Marcus but I can assume he only intended that you should search further yourself.
              Marcus is a stalwart of information on this forum, and has been for many years. I'm often surprised at his patience with posters who ask the same questions, or are so lazy/stupid to find for themselves, that he nurtures them..
              However, I agree that your question did not fall into that category and I'll leave it at that.
              Good luck in your endeavour

Comment

Thank you Davita. I am sure Marcus has many accolades by helping people. There is a lot of experience here in this forum, which is why people come to seek advice. I was simply asking for some advice and didn't realize what he intended me to see was in your string. No need to be, pardon the word, a dick. Sorry, just saying it how I see it. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Thanks for your info and reply!

Comment

Working...
                X