Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• international online purchase - internet banking

Hello there,

all my attempts to use the above have failed. For once I had a detailed reply from my bank abroad saying that the IP address I used was blocked as it was used before for attempted fraud (XL broadband 'Home'). Using my Simpati smartphone tethering didn't work any better. Even top-ups for my foreign phone number don't work as payments are systematically rejected.

Is it just me? Does anybody know of a solution? VPNs are not a solution as a simple trace route request reveals the VPN sitting behind the foreign IP address.

I'm almost desperate... My BCA (all Indonesian banks?) don't give credit cards to foreigners and debit cards seem not to exist I assumed the only way to purchase online would be a foreign bank account with a card.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Originally posted by Jurgen_expat View Post
    (1) ... reply from my bank abroad saying that the IP address I used was blocked as it was used before for attempted fraud (XL .. Using my Simpati .. didn't work any better. Even top-ups for my foreign phone number don't work as payments are systematically rejected. Is it just me? ...

(2) My BCA (all Indonesian banks?) don't give credit cards to foreigners

(3) and debit cards seem not to exist

(4) I assumed the only way to purchase online would be a foreign bank account with a card ...

(1) In around 10 years I didn't see a problem like yours in this Forum , and I don't know why this is happening to you .

In more than 10 years using credit cards in Indonesia , I never had a problem (but I use mostly my Indonesian credit card in Indonesian online shopping - used it few times in Malaysia online airliner , used it once to buy at US's Amazon.com - recently used my country's credit card to buy online from online shops in my country) . But I mostly use the 3/Tri Indonesian internet provider (used AXIS , Indosat , and SmartFren before but don't remember if for online shopping) .

I recently had a problem to use the internet banking of my country's bank in Indonesia , my bank told me to change the default DNS to Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4) , and it worked , but now I use the default DNS (in other computer) and there is no problem . Sometimes my email account doesn't open . I guess these 2 problems are due to the slow internet connection (my usual connection speed is around 40kB/s) .

(2) Many foreigners have Indonesian credit card (including me) . The main problem to get one is to prove your income if you don't have a job (like me) . See how in the links below .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...5924#post55924 (geting credit card with no income proof)
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...924#post182924 (how to get a BCA credit card)

(3) I have many Indonesian debit cards (but never used one for online shopping) , and I didn't see others complaining about that in this Forum . As far as I see , banking in Indonesia is like anywhere else (the only particularity is the book account (I saw in the Korean dramas , it is used in South Korea too) .

(4) Did you try using your foreign credit card in Indonesian online shopping ? I recently was well surprised by how online shopping in Indonesia is . So many products available , some even coming from foreign countries (but they handle everything for you , including the customs) . And you can buy even without a credit/debit card .

Some Indonesian Online Shopping :
    www.shopee.co.id
    www.tokopedia.com
    www.bukalapak.com
    www.lazada.co.id
    www.mataharimall.com

Comment

Marcus your reply is very encouraging in that I need to find out what is wrong here on my side.
      Thank you also for the link to the other discussion, in particular "getting credit card with no income proof

Comment

Could you tell us more details of your failed cases ? (are you buying from an online shop of your own country , which phase of the buying process didn't work , does your card require you to get a code through sms) .

I just remembered now that my country's credit card is MasterCard , which does not requires a confirmation code for online buying . But my Visa Indonesian credit card most of the times does require a confirmation code sent through sms (I don't know why a few times I bought without the system asking for the confirmation code) . What I am curious to know is if I still get the verification code through sms if I use the card outside Indonesia (my phone's SIM card is from an Indonesian operator) .

Comment

(1) I _very urgently_ need to top-up my European mobile phone credit, an amount of 5€. I use the debit card of my European bank, I receive the confirmation code on my phone. When finally confirming the transaction I get an "unsuccessful" message.
          (2) To pay the transport of my personal belongings to Indonesia I needed to pay the amount to the bank in the country where I was working before (Malaysia). ANY transfer operation on my internet banking (with double security working ok) equally got a final "unsuccessful" message. Questioning the help desk of the bank the replied that 'after investigation the operation was automatically rejected because I was using an ip address that was blacklisted as fraudulent' - I use XL Home as broadband connection,
          Tethering my Simpati handphone had identical results for both transactions. - These are the only ones I have tried so far.

Comment

Really unacceptable , in my view . I would blame your credit card issuer/associate or the mobile operator and your bank (in the second case) . A card or seller that rejects a E$5 operation , after the confirmation code , should not happen (as I said , I already bought things online here in Indonesia without the card or the seller requesting for the confirmation code) .
            In relation to the bank , I already worked with 3 different banks (from my country) in more than 15 years in Indonesia , using different Indonesian internet providers (Telkom ADSL , SmartFren , Axis , Indosat , 3/Tri) , and never had a problem like that (I depend on internet banking as I hate to ask family members to help me) .

I just read about this IP thing (being the problem according to your bank) , and as far as I understood , this is an unacceptable reason for denying an operation . As I read , probably many other people have used the same IP number before you , and this happening to you with 2 different IP no. (from XL and Simpati/Telkomsel) , it is very improbable . By the way if this was really the problem , you can change the IP .

------------------------------

I just remembered about a more probable reason : some banks block operations if you don't inform them the countries where you will be .

Comment

Working...
            X