Announcement

Collapse

Expat Forum Moving Hosting

We have moved the Expat Forum to a new server in late March. You'll notice some changes due to upgrades we've made in the vBulletin software.

If you have questions, please email me at [email protected].

wm
See more
See less

Entering Indonesia on a one-way ticket?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the great response everyone!!

Now I probably shouldn't be pushing my luck.... However, I will enter thru Surabaya as I've done one time before (AFAIR they didn't check) except this time I will travel together with my Indo fiancee and I do actually intend to stay this time, getting a KITAS with all the hassle that involves (which I understand will require me to exit the country at some future point).

My gf is good at negociating situations like this, should they arise, and usually gets her will thru Im more of a safety belts, strings and helmet guy so if I can find a 12 months open ticket at reasonable price that would be my first choice.
    Kind regards

Comment

I've been checked several times for a return-ticket by the airline (at check in) and the immigration office as well (so far never in Jakarta, but in Batam, Bali and Palembang). So I always bring a printout of an onward ticket with me to avoid any hassle.

It is simple: just edit an old ticket with a pdf editor (google helps) and print it out. Nobody at immigration/airline check in will ever check the validity of the ticket.

Comment

Ive been coming to Indonesia for 22 years. In that time I have come and gone dozens of times. Not once have I ever been asked by the airlines or immigration if I have a ticket outgoing from Indonesia. In Singapore six months ago I had a ticket going out. I photocopied it and handed it to my agent with other docs to obtain a Sosbud. He gave it back and said it won't be needed. If don't go through an agent I understand you need one. I came in without one a week ago. I dont reccomend it and will be correcting that on the next go around, this time to KL. Its inexpensive and though I haven't been asked, I don't need the hassle if they do.

Comment

Originally posted by donfuego View Post
          ... I do actually intend to stay this time, getting a KITAS with all the hassle that involves (which I understand will require me to exit the country at some future point)...
          If you refer to a KITAS sponsored by Indonesian wife , as you are coming with a social cultural visa , you have the option to not exit the country to get it .

Comment

I can never understand the answers here as they all vary. The answer to your question is YES you need a return ticket wether or not they ask for it once or every time they can and do ask. If you do not have one you run the risk of paying a bribe or even worse being refused entry. Why take the chance????
            Regards

Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post
              If you do not have one you run the risk of paying a bribe or even worse being refused entry. Why take the chance????
              Yup! And that's what I intend to do (getting a return ticket that is!) unless another legal solution should surface, considering I'm planing on getting a KITAS thru my fiancee if possible (we're not married yet) or thru another sponsor. I will be using an agent any case.

I've found with my short experience that nothing is black or white in the way laws are enforced in Indonesia (mm.. perhaps some things). The best way to get things done is to find the right people, negotiate a price you can stand and then basically just cross your fingers and hope for things to go your way without too many hard bumps along the road.
              Kind regards

Comment

Hi,
                The indonesian embassy in Paris asks me for a return ticket to deliver me my KITAS visa (I will be a DARMASISWA student in Yogja)... But I only have a one way ticket because I want to stay at least 2 years In Indonesia (My wife is indonesian and after my darmasiswa year I will apply for a kitas as husband of WNI)... What should I do???
                Help and advices will be welcome...
                Thanks and sorry for my poor english langage!
                Fred

Comment

I would try to explain that to the Embassy's officer and ask him/her if a proof of enough money in a bank account could be an alternative to the return ticket . I think a return ticket is not a "must" as I already got many Visas without it (see my former post in this thread). But as normal for public servants , a lot depends on how sensible the officer is .
                  Last edited by marcus; 05-05-10, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredlr View Post
                    Hi,
                    The indonesian embassy in Paris asks me for a return ticket to deliver me my KITAS visa (I will be a DARMASISWA student in Yogja)... But I only have a one way ticket because I want to stay at least 2 years In Indonesia (My wife is indonesian and after my darmasiswa year I will apply for a kitas as husband of WNI)... What should I do???
                    Help and advices will be welcome...
                    Thanks and sorry for my poor english langage!
                    Fred
                    Salut Fred,
                    Regardes sur le site d'Emirates si tu ne peux pas rĂ©server un billet retour, sans avoir Ă* le payer immĂ©diatement (sĂ©lectionnes le paiement au bureau Emirates de Jakarta). J'ai utilisĂ© ce moyen pendant des annĂ©es, en prĂ©sentant un print de la rĂ©sa, sans le vĂ©ritable billet. Je ne suis pas sur toutefois qu'Emirates propose toujours cette solution de rĂ©servation avec paiement diffĂ©rĂ©. A vĂ©rifier.
                    Sinon achĂštes sur Air Asia le billet le moins cher que tu trouveras avec une destination en dehors de l'IndonĂ©sie (ex Singapore, Malaysia). Certains billets sont Ă* moins de 20 euros. Tu pourras soit utiliser le billet pour un WE Ă* Singapore ou ne pas l'utiliser et le perdre, mais Ă* peu de frais.

Comment

Thanks a lot Marcus, I think I will try a mix between your advice and Atlantis's advice (only buy a JKT - KL on air asia, a cheap ticket and then explain myself to the immigration officer + bank account)... Hope it will work!

Merci Atlantis! Je ne pensais pas qu'il y avait des français sur ce forum! Mon pauvre niveau en Anglais m'a toujours rebutĂ© d'y participer davantage! Je n'ai pas trouvĂ© ce dont tu parles sur le site d'EMIRATES mais je chercherai mieux plus tard... Sinon, la solution ticket JKT - Kuala Lumpur + bank account + explications fonctionnera peut-ĂȘtre! Qui sait??
                      Bonne continuation Ă* toi!

Comment

I think if you buy a Jkt-Kl ticket it is just enough . There is no need to explain or present a bank account statement .
                        People may think i like to take risk instead of spending just a few Dollars , but this is because I hate to waste any money and hate requirements like that . I believe the requirement may be necessary in a very small percentage of cases , but it should give other alternatives .
                        Last edited by marcus; 05-05-10, 11:12.

Comment

I would suggest.....instead of buying a cheap one-way (out of RI) ticket which will not be refundable you might investigate paying a higher price for a return ticket where the return IS refundable if cancelled, after getting the visa, but before expiry of the cancellation policy of the ticket.

Might be cheaper.

David

Comment

Thanks, I will think about this and let you know... whatever I agree with you marcus...

Comment

Can i ask you guys how it works with a wife sponsored kitas? I got a single erp permit and left last month. I will be returning this month and from what i assume they will see my erp and accept it, but will they say anything about my visa/kitas which will be expiring in around 3 months time? Will they ask me to show onward tickets or can i merely flash my kitas at them and say that im just gonna extend it and continue my stay indefinately? Has anyone ever had issues returning using an ERP

Comment

They very rarely ask any questions to KITAS holder. They won't even require to see your KITAS. Passport with ITAS and ERP will be enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X