Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return flight to home country law?

Hi all,

I'm a teacher in Medan. I switched to a new (UK based) company last August on a year long contract. I have recently found out that my company will not give me a return flight to UK, because I was "hired locally". All my fellow expat teacher colleagues are receiving a return flight, because they were hired from UK. I feel this is grossly unfair, especially as they didn't have to fly me there in the first place.

My boss (who is in a similar situation) met someone in Jakarta who has lived there for 17 years. He said categorically that there is an Indonesian law which requires a company hiring a foreigner to pay for a return flight. I can't find any info on this elsewhere,

Does anyone know anything about this, or had similar issues etc? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

return ticket to home country

Try UU 13 manpower 2003, chapter VIII, article 48.it says that employers are under obligation to repatriate the foreign worker when employment comes to an end.Hope it helps you.I don't know if this is still valid or got changed recently as the date is 2003.Good luck!
    Originally posted by kangamoo22 View Post
    Hi all,I'm a teacher in Medan. I switched to a new (UK based) company last August on a year long contract. I have recently found out that my company will not give me a return flight to UK, because I was "hired locally". All my fellow expat teacher colleagues are receiving a return flight, because they were hired from UK. I feel this is grossly unfair, especially as they didn't have to fly me there in the first place. My boss (who is in a similar situation) met someone in Jakarta who has lived there for 17 years. He said categorically that there is an Indonesian law which requires a company hiring a foreigner to pay for a return flight. I can't find any info on this elsewhere,Does anyone know anything about this, or had similar issues etc? Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Baliflyer View Post
      Try UU 13 manpower 2003, chapter VIII, article 48.it says that employers are under obligation to repatriate the foreign worker when employment comes to an end.Hope it helps you.I don't know if this is still valid or got changed recently as the date is 2003.Good luck!
      Thanks Baliflyer, very helpful! I will look into it and see what I find...

Comment

Yes there is a law that says that - but that means what exactly ?? Remember where you are. I have worked for many big ell known Indonesian companies over the years and never been given a ticket home to the UK at the end of the contract. Bottom line is what can you do about it ?? Get a lawyer ?? Take it to court ??

Comment

When I retired from my last company, I asked for a ticket back to the Uk, they said your joking, I said ,Yes, so I didn't get one, but I had them worried for a few minutes, but I suppose you could turn up to the Airport and see if Immigration will deport you, be an interesting to see what develops
          Last edited by Anglian; 24-03-15, 18:04.

Comment

return ticket to home country

After I finished my contract last year, I asked for a ticket to go to Singapore and not my home country. I got it.
            I did not mention anything like the written law. If I asked for a return ticket to Europe, then I don't know what
            would the answer be.

BF

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
            When I retired from my last company, I asked for a ticket back to the Uk, they said your joking, I said ,Yes, so I didn't get one, but I had them worried for a few minutes, but I suppose you could turn up to the Airport and see if Immigration will deport you, be an interesting to see what develops

Comment

Working...
            X