As already told by many , this process is very similar to the process of Visit Visa (Social Cultural & Family and Business) conversion into an ITAS/KITAS .
(1) I went to the city's immigration office (Kantor Imigrasi) to :
(a) Get the folder/forms (konversi ITAS ke ITAP) at the Toko Kooperasi and Loket Formulir ,
(b) Get the list of required documents at "Loket ITAS , ITAP ,..") .
(2) Went to "Kantor Imigrasi" to submit the request with :
- All forms filled (+ 3 copies)
- Passport (+ 3 copies of its relevant pages) ,
- KITAS (+ 3 copies)
- Surat Keterangan Domisili from Kelurahan/Kecamatan (+ 2 copies) . This is related to the foreigner's residence address in Indonesia .
- "Buku Biru" (Buku POA) (+ 3 copies of the relevant pages) ,
- Indonesian spouse's request letter (+ 2 copies)
- Indonesian spouse's Warranty Letter/Surat Permintaan dan Jaminan (+2 copies) . This is one of the form of the forms' package .
- Indonesian spouse's KTP (+ 3 copies)
- Indonesian spouse's Kartu Keluarga (+ 3 copies)
- Marriage Certificate (+ 3 copies)
- "No Impediment to Marry" , in my case , a document from my country used to marry my Indonesian spouse some years ago (3 copies of the original and the sworn translation) . This was in place of the list's "Izin Nikah" from Embassy .
- Surat Keterangan from the Marriage Office stating we are still married (+2 copies)
- Surat Pernyataan Integrasi (this document was asked by Jakarta's Directorate some weeks later , as Kantor Imigrasi forgot about it)
(3) Returned (together with the Indonesian spouse) to Kantor Imigrasi 2 days later for an interview (question about how is the couple's relationship , and other personal questions)
(4) Returned to Kantor Imigrasi one week later to get the envelopes : one to bring to the province's immigration office (Kantor Wilayah) , another addressed to Jakarta's Immigration Directorate .
(5) Went to Kantor Wilayah to deliver the envelope from the Kantor Imigrasi . Was asked to return the next day .
(4) Returned to Kantor Wilayah to get their envelope to be sent to Jakarta's Directorate .
(5) Put the 2 envelopes (from Kantor Imigrasi and from Kantor Wilayah) in one and sent it to Jakarta's Direktorat Jenderal Imigrasi , by courier (JNE , Rp8'000) , after making copies of all inside .
I also included my own letter requesting them to e-mail me after receiving the envelope + to send their approval letter directly to my Kantor Imigrasi , by mail .
(6) Direktorat Jenderal Imigrasi e-mailed me 2 days later to say the envelope arrived and I should send them the "Surat Pernyataan Integrasi" , which both Kantor Imigrasi and Kantor Wilayah didn't ask for .
(7) Sent the Surat Pernyataan Integrasi to Jakarta by e-mail , 2 days later
(8) Emailed Direktorat Jenderal twice to know about the process status some 2 weeks later , but the officer didn't answer .
(9) Called Jakarta 1 week later (021-522.46.58 , extensions 2519 and 2521 , after many tries , succeeded at 4PM , ext. 2519) . One officer said the process was already approved and waiting for me 2 weeks ago . I asked the officer to send it to my city's immigration , by mail .
(10) Sent another letter to Jakarta's Direktur Izin Tinggal dan Status Keimigrasian , repeating the request (for them to send the approved process to me or to my Kantor Imigrasi) .
(11) Kantor Imigrasi called me to say that the Jakarta's approval letter has arrived , 11 days after I called Jakarta and asked them to send it by mail .
(12) Went to Kantor Imigrasi , paid Rp3'055'000 , had the photo/fingerprints taken . The officer asked me to bring a 2x2 photo as soon as possible and gave me an envelope to deliver to Kantor Wilayah and another one addressed to me .
(13) Returned to Kantor Imigrasi to deliver the photo .
Gave them the Surat Pernyataan Integrasi too , telling them that Jakarta's Office would not approve without it .
(14) Went to Kantor Wilayah to deliver the envelope with the Jakarta's approval letter .
(15) Went to Kantor Imigrasi to get the passport , KITAP and "blue book" , one week later .
(a) Process time in each immigration office (in working days) :
- Kantor Imigrasi (initial phase) : 9
- Kantor Wilayah : 1
- Jakarta's Direktorat Jenderal Imigrasi : 7
- Big delay because Directorate was waiting me to personally take the approval letter there , + post transit time
- Kantor Imigrasi (final phase) : 4
(b) Total time until the KITAP issuance : almost 2 months
Note : As the Jakarta's approval letter didn't arrive at Kantor Imigrasi before the KITAS expiration date , Kantor Imigrasi issued a 30 days "Postponing" of the KITAS expiration (named "Penangguhan"). The curious thing is that before this "Penangguhan" was issued , the ITAP was already approved by Jakarta , so officially I had both an ITAP and an ITAS simultaneously .