Announcement

Collapse

Forum Software Migration (2nd Update)

As you may have noticed, the forum software has undergone a bit of a facelift. We've migrated from vBulletin4 to vBulletin5.2.2. As with all software major updates, there will undoubtedly be a few hiccups. As with all software upgrades, vBulletin has made changes in how their software works, so there may be a bit of a learning curve as you re-orient yourself to their changed environment.

We have worked through the initial hiccups that were reported. If you experience additional issues, please pm them to wm and we'll work through them. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
paman and wm
See more
See less

Abbreviations/Acronyms and their meaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbreviations/Acronyms and their meaning

Hi Everyone,

As Atlantis has suggested, I am starting a new thread on Indonesian Abbreviations and Acronyms we are faced with in our daily lives in Indonesia.

Cheers,

Mark

SKLD - Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri:
    Letter from your local police acknowledging that you have reported your existence

SKLD... and STM

Thanks Simarkbotak. I was lazy to initiate the thread. I just would like to add that a SKLD is required by any foreigner staying on a KITAP/KITAS and should be done in the delay of 30 days after the issuance of the KITAS/KITAP.

A cousin of the SKLD is a STM (Surat Tanda Melapor) which is required wherever any foreigner is sheltered. IfHotels are responsable for declaring the foreigner(s) staying in their place. If it is in a private owned house, the landlord should be the one reporting (passport datas of the foreigner(s) are required) and ideally a copy of the STM should be kept by the foreigner.
    It should be done in the delay of 24 hours after that the foreigner started to be sheltered. Report to get a STM should be done at the local police office.
    Last edited by atlantis; 22-03-09, 05:21.

Comment

PLN and DPAM

[COLOR=black][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]PLN: Perusahaan Listrik Negara (Literally State Electricity Company)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#22229c][FONT=Verdana]PT PLN (Persero)[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] is the national electricity company. They are the one to be buzzed when things become dark in the house, but don't expect much from them. Their motto is promising however: Listrik untuk Kehidupan yang Lebih Baik (Electricity for a better life).[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black][FONT=Symbol] [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]DPAM: Direktorat Pengembangan Air Minum (Directorate for the development of drinking water)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]It is the national water company. A joke... (specially the "air minum" part)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Jakarta and regions

JakPus: Jakarta pusat (Jakarta city center)
        JakSel: Jakarta Selatan (South Jakarta)
        JakTim: Jakarta Timur (East Jakarta)
        JakBar:Jakarta Barat (West Jakarta)

DKI Jakarta: (literally Special Capital District/Region of Jakarta). DKI stands for Daerah Khusus Ibukota. It was previously known as Batavia, Sunda Kelapa, Jayakarta and Djakarta.

JaTim: Jawa Timur
        JaBar: Jawa Barat
        SumUt: Sumatra Utara
        SumSel: Sumatra Selatan
        SulSel: Sulawesi Selatan
        SulUt: Sulawesi Utara
        SulTeng: Sulawesi Tengah
        SulBar: Sulawesi Barat

All are Indonesian provinces names where Barat stands for West, Timur for East, Selatan for south, Utara for north and Tengah for central.

Comment

Ahahahahahaha ... Waow!! This is good thread ...

SKSD : Sok Kenal Sok Dekat

I don't have any other serious word but for today, I think it is one word that occasionally used by indonesian. hehe ...

Comment

Originally posted by radit_bezit View Post
            Ahahahahahaha ... Waow!! This is good thread ...

SKSD : Sok Kenal Sok Dekat

I don't have any other serious word but for today, I think it is one word that occasionally used by indonesian. hehe ...
            Short explanation for those who don't speak Bahasa Indonesia: it would be said about someone pretending to be close to someone else...
            Good one... and very actual in period of election.

Comment

Citizenship: WNI vs WNA

WNI: Warga Negara Indonesia refers to Indonesian citizens
              WNA: Warga Negara Asing refers to foreigners

Comment

Can someone tell me whats POA ? Apparently i have to do this on my second extension of my sosbud visa.

Comment

Originally posted by beebop View Post
                  Can someone tell me whats POA ? Apparently i have to do this on my second extension of my sosbud visa.
                  POA stands for Pengawasan Orang Asing (supervision of foreigner). Each foreigner intending to stay in Indonesia more than 90 days should register to the POA section of Imigrasi. The foreigner get fingerprinted and photographied (sometimes they let you bring your own pics).
                  • A foreigner holding an Izin Kunjungan (it's your case) should do it no later than 14 days after his/her 90th day of stay in Indonesia. Imigrasi will remit him/her a simple Surat Bukti POA
                  • A foreigner holding an Izin Tinggal Terbatas or an Izin Tinggal Tetap should do it at the issuance of his/her KITAS/KITAP. Imigrasi will give him/her a Buku POA (the infamous blue book)

Comment

Depnaker's acronyms

Depnaker or Depnakertrans
                    It is the Departemen Tenaga Kerja dan Transmigrasi or in other words, the Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration

IMTA
                    It is the work permit that a company needs to request if she wants to employ a foreigner. It means Ijin Mempekerjakan Tenaga kerja Asing

RPTKA
                    It is the employment of foreigner plan that a company needs to get approved by depnakertrans before getting a work permit issued. It stands for Rencana Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Asing and should state the needs of the company in terms of foreign working force and should list the reason why the foreign worker is needed, his exact position and occupation within the organizational structure of the company, the timeframe set for the use of this foreign worker and the appointment of Indonesian worker associated to him that will benefit fom his expertise.

DPKK
                    It is the fee paid upfront by the company to have an IMTA issued. It is equivalent to USD 1200 a year and is theorically used by the Indonesian governmnt to train indonesian workers to get the same level of knowledge than a foreigner. The acronym stands for Dana Pengembangan Keahlian dan Keterampilan (litterally Donation/funds for the developpement of expertise and skills).[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
                    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

PMA

Penanaman Modal Asing - Foreign investment

PMDN

Penanaman Modal Dalam Negeri - Local Investment

BKPM

Badan Koordinasi Penanaman Modal - Investment Coordinating Board

http://www.bkpm.go.id/

Comment

I need these everyday:

SIM : Surat Izin Mengemudi - Driving Licence.
                        STNK : Surat Tanda Nomor Kendaraan - Vehicle Registration Number.
                        KTP : Kartu Tanda Penduduk - Civil Identity Card.

Bule need these:

KITAS : Kartu Izin Tinggal Sementara - Temporary Resident permit card.
                        KITAP : Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap - Permanent Resident permit card.

Thats it for today..lol.
                        Regards STT.
                        PS: If typo, blame it on Apple and Samsung!

Comment

Thanks for the additions...
                          I am sure others know some more acronyms... Let's keep it coming...

Comment

ABRI - Angkatan Bersenjata Republik Indonesia (National Armed Forces)
                            AURI - Angkatan Udara Republik Indonesia (Air Force)
                            AD - Angkatan Darat (Land Force)
                            AL - Angkatan Laut (Navy) I'm not sure (forgot) if they actually have RI at the end of AL and AD
                            POLRI - Polisi Republik Indonesia (Police)
                            KAPOLRI - Kepala Polisi Republik Indonesia (Head of National Police)
                            Hansip - Pertahanan Sipil (not sure what it is in english)

Comment

AL dan AD's correct acronyms are respectively ALRI and ADRI.

HanSip is a very interesting one. A correct translation could be "civil defense". They are the lowest unit in the Indonesian paramilitary. Their name is not anymore officially "hansip" (though are still commonly called this way) but "LinMas" (which stands for "perlindungan masyarakat/community protection") and are mainly responsable for security and order in neighbourhoods, villages or subdistricts.
                              Under Indonesian regulation, hansip/linmas are appointed by the community, trained by the army and work under the supervision of the Kantor Camat. This is the official stuff. However, in the reality, the neighbourhood are the one paying their salaries (at least most of it), and in return they act as a neighbourhood watch, patrolling to make sure that everything is OK and that eeryone can sleep safe. They can be called for special duties also. They were watching that no fights occured in the TPS during the recent elections for example.
                              When I married, they were sent, courtesy of Pak Lurah, to "ensure security" outside my house... and were obviously the first "guests" to be piss drunk.
                              Anyway, many are great guys, doing a great job.
                              Last edited by atlantis; 02-05-09, 13:19. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                              X