Announcement

Collapse

Forum Software Migration (2nd Update)

As you may have noticed, the forum software has undergone a bit of a facelift. We've migrated from vBulletin4 to vBulletin5.2.2. As with all software major updates, there will undoubtedly be a few hiccups. As with all software upgrades, vBulletin has made changes in how their software works, so there may be a bit of a learning curve as you re-orient yourself to their changed environment.

We have worked through the initial hiccups that were reported. If you experience additional issues, please pm them to wm and we'll work through them. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
paman and wm
See more
See less

How long to become indonesian citizen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long to become indonesian citizen?

    How long must one stay in indonesia to apply for ciizenship?
    I heard it is 5 years,and does it mean one must not travel at all within these 5 yrs in order to qualify or what?
    Finally,what are the documents required for the application process and after having the citizenship, can that individual set up his own business like any other indonesian? Thank you guys..

  • #2
    5 uninterrupted years, or 10 interrupted years .

    Sure, the individual would be able to set up his/her own business like any other Indonesians. I can't imagine why a naturalised Indonesian should/would have any different rights from those who are Indonesians by birth.

    As for the requirements, take a look at this:

    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...an-Nationality

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fandv View Post
      5 uninterrupted years, or 10 interrupted years .

      Sure, the individual would be able to set up his/her own business like any other Indonesians. I can't imagine why a naturalised Indonesian should/would have any different rights from those who are Indonesians by birth.

      As for the requirements, take a look at this:

      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...an-Nationality
      Thanks.But we know that almost every expatriate will have to make a quick run to SG or a nearby country to renew his KITAS each 2 or 1 year.How then will it be possible for one to stay in indonesia for 5 uninterrupted years?Illegally? i guess not!

      Can anyone clarify the situation folks.

      Comment


      • #4
        If I am not wrong, having a Kitas means you are in Indonesia without need to go out of the country for 6 years if you donīt want, to renew your kitas you donīt need to go out of the country.
        Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

        Comment


        • #5
          Shinta is correct . A KITAS can be extended 5 times and the extension process does not require the KITAS holder to go out of Indonesia .

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't think taking short trips overseas affects the 5 uninterrupted years rule?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PeteD View Post
              I don't think taking short trips overseas affects the 5 uninterrupted years rule?
              Correct. We are talking about 5 uniterrupted years of RESIDENCY, not 5 years of uniterrupted presence on the indonesia soil. You can go in and out as many time as you want as long as you don't EPO your KITAS. If you do, then you need to cumulate 10 years of residency (unless if in these 10 years one of your KITAS/KITAP has been extended for five full years without interruption of course).

              However, if you are not an eks indonesian or married to an indonesian, becoming Indonesian will not be as easy as just cumulating years of residency.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm not sure why someone would want to change to Indonesian Nationality. What advantages to do you get.

                Indonesians need to jump through hoops for almost every country they visit. Local laws and regulations, Indonesian or not, are not overly enforced or preserved.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Guangzhou View Post
                  I'm not sure why someone would want to change to Indonesian Nationality. What advantages to do you get.


                  Probably not that many...... but being an Indonesian citizen you'd get your rights to purchase/own lands though :P.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Getting Indonesian Residency is difficult enough so imagine getting a Citizenship.

                    I agree with Guangzhou...for a foreigner from a western country to accept Indonesian Citizenship and therefore giving up his original Citizenship/Passport requires careful thought and specific requirements.

                    In the past 30+ years, when Indonesia had a different political status, many Indonesians were persuaded, economically or racially, to exit Indonesia and find another country to survive. Those Indonesians were offered Immigrant status in many countries and, after time, Citizenships.
                    Others left thru' marriage to foreigners and found travelling with their family on different passports and visa requirements almost impossible, so changed Citizenships for convenience.

                    Today, Indonesia is a much happier place and more stable. The passport is more readily accepted and those that previously left are older...many would like to return to their homeland permanently but cannot. Due to the immigrant policy...they need to get a visa.

                    Many also, during their stay abroad, contributed to pension plans etc....if they now regained Indonesian Citizenship but had to denounce the other, they may lose those pensions they contributed towards. That makes no sense.

                    Indonesia needs to reform to permit ex WNI's to easily return and regain their Nationality. The country may also benefit from the wealth and experience the returnees could bring.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Davita View Post
                      Getting Indonesian Residency is difficult enough so imagine getting a Citizenship.

                      I agree with Guangzhou...for a foreigner from a western country to accept Indonesian Citizenship and therefore giving up his original Citizenship/Passport requires careful thought and specific requirements.

                      In the past 30+ years, when Indonesia had a different political status, many Indonesians were persuaded, economically or racially, to exit Indonesia and find another country to survive. Those Indonesians were offered Immigrant status in many countries and, after time, Citizenships.
                      Others left thru' marriage to foreigners and found travelling with their family on different passports and visa requirements almost impossible, so changed Citizenships for convenience.

                      Today, Indonesia is a much happier place and more stable. The passport is more readily accepted and those that previously left are older...many would like to return to their homeland permanently but cannot. Due to the immigrant policy...they need to get a visa.

                      Many also, during their stay abroad, contributed to pension plans etc....if they now regained Indonesian Citizenship but had to denounce the other, they may lose those pensions they contributed towards. That makes no sense.

                      Indonesia needs to reform to permit ex WNI's to easily return and regain their Nationality. The country may also benefit from the wealth and experience the returnees could bring.
                      Great post Davita.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i cant stop thinking why some foreigners (especially westerners) want to convert their previous citizenship to indonesian.

                        being indonesian myself, my citizenship doesnt entitle me to much benefits like citizens from western countries have. they r entitled to mobility, better life quality, and higher currency value than rupiah. their government pays some money while they r unemployed. not much but at least it helps to support one's life until he/she lands on a job. they can travel easily because their passport is acceptable almost everywhere.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by michiru_maeda View Post
                          i cant stop thinking why some foreigners (especially westerners) want to convert their previous citizenship to indonesian.

                          being indonesian myself, my citizenship doesnt entitle me to much benefits like citizens from western countries have. they r entitled to mobility, better life quality, and higher currency value than rupiah. their government pays some money while they r unemployed. not much but at least it helps to support one's life until he/she lands on a job. they can travel easily because their passport is acceptable almost everywhere.

                          Most of the benefits you have listed of being a wna really only apply to a wna that is living in their own country. Even then I think there is a big misconception among Indonesians about life in western countries. It is really not the promised land that it is made out to be on tv etc.

                          Housing and land is very expensive. Most couples both have to work to afford to pay the house loan repayments and all other expenses of living in a western country. For example a nice house in Bali would get you a deposit only for a house in Australia. Just a basic house too, nothing special.

                          If you are unlucky enough to become unemployed in Australia then the benefit paid by the government wouldn't even cover your house repayments. You still need to pay for food, utilities, petrol etc. They will not provide any benefits for those citizens living outside of Australia.

                          As the forum is for people living in Indonesia then I think there are many benefits of becoming a WNI. We dont have to worry about visiting imigration anymore (this one reason is already enough but I will continue), we can own land, get a job, start a small CV business etc...

                          All these things a permanent resident can do in Australia without becoming a citizen. So far in Indonesia the only difference between temporary resident and permant resident is you don't have to visit imigrasi for 5 years (if you don't change address etc). This 5 years break from imigrasi is great but it does not help a WNA support their family or give us any special priviledges over a temp resident.

                          Living in Indonesia my government will not provide me with any REAL help if I get myself into trouble. Even if there is a complete civil war in Java with a certain death for me if I walk out of my house my government will not help. I have to get myself to the other side of Java to the Australian Embassy for evacuation.

                          Maybe there would be reasons against becoming a WNI if you had a business registered in your home country or you planned to move there in the future. I think that our children are still entitled to our home country citizenship even after we have become wni, but I am not certain on that one.

                          I imagine that it will be another 20 years (if ever) before the law changes to allow permanent residents the same rights as western countries allow. I personally am seriously considering becoming a WNI.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by blitarbule View Post
                            I think that our children are still entitled to our home country citizenship even after we have become wni, but I am not certain on that one.

                            For the UK, it makes no difference because on your kid's birth certificate, your nationality as stated on the certificate is the important one.
                            from the govt site:

                            How to give up your citizenship

                            You can give up your British citizenship, British overseas territories citizenship, British overseas citizenship, British subject status or British national (overseas) status by completing the declaration on form RN. If you hold more than one of these citizenships, you can give them up together on one form.

                            You will stop being a British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject or British national (overseas) on the date your declaration is registered by the Home Secretary. The date will be shown on your copy of the form.

                            The declaration affects only your status and does not affect the status of any other member of your existing family.

                            If we register your declaration because you expect to gain another citizenship, you must do that within six month of the registration. If you do not, the registration will not take effect and you will remain a British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject or British national (overseas).

                            Resuming your citizenship after giving it up

                            If you give up British citizenship or British overseas territories citizenship, you are allowed (only once) to resume that citizenship if it was necessary for you to give it up so that you could keep or gain some other citizenship. For details of how to do this, see resuming citizenship.

                            -----------------

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jahcares View Post
                              and after having the citizenship, can that individual set up his own business like any other indonesian? Thank you guys..
                              You dont have to be citizen to own a business. Set up a PMA (Foreign Investment) company and you can be major shareholder -
                              Atlantis, CMIIW

                              [FONT=century gothic] [FONT=georgia] This sentence is a lie[/FONT][/FONT]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X